Skip navigation

Sequel to Hegemony?!?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Sequel to Hegemony?!?
Pages 1 2 3
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 8, 2010 at 4:12 pm

I know, you won't tell us what the sequel will be like, but can you answer the following questions, please?
1) Did longbowgames decide for one specific period, are there only a few possiblilities left, or is it completely open at the moment?
2) Will the sequel have a story part and a sandbox part from the beginning?
3) Will you use a new engine for the sequel (the current is great, and with the improvements of the gold edition it will be magnificent) ?
4) Is there an estimated release date for the full version of hegemony gold?
Oh, and please no mythology! Make the sequel a realistic (more or less) and impressive game about the ancient period and not the strategy version of titan quest...

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 5:19 pm

1) We're nearly 100% certain what the next setting is going to be.
2) That's the plan. Some of how we handle that depends on how well Gold is received.
3) We'll definitely be using the same engine.
4) November.

And don't worry, we will be sticking to a historical settings. After Gold is released, we're going to have to start hitting the books again :)

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 12, 2010 at 6:34 pm

And don't worry, we will be sticking to a historical settings. After Gold is released, we're going to have to start hitting the books again :)

Ahh, when you say "hitting the history books again" has me semi excited that you may consider doing Rome, but only time will tell what it will be.

I will say this, on the sequel, while I don't mind the sandbox features that will come in Gold release, do try to stick with the objective based gameplay. I love how the Objectives play out like a little history lesson for you, and it's a nice treat to see something different for a change, instead of the usual, conquer the world ploy of most games of these types ;)

I mean your still doing it per-say, but it's just done a lot more creatively in Hegemony, which is why I'm finding the game very entertaining at the moment, so naturally looking forward to when the sequel is actually announced.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 3:33 am

1) And don't worry, we will be sticking to a historical settings. After Gold is released, we're going to have to start hitting the books again :)

When you say "sticking to a historical settings" does this means that on the sequal you'll be also to the historical facts, 'cause as good the Hegemony is here in my opinion it failed. I'm not saying that I don't like the game playing it but felling a bit uneasy well knowing that f.x. Philip didn't reach to set his foot on Persian soil, that luck falled on Alexander to do that.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 6:30 am

1) And don't worry, we will be sticking to a historical settings. After Gold is released, we're going to have to start hitting the books again :)

When you say "sticking to a historical settings" does this means that on the sequal you'll be also to the historical facts, 'cause as good the Hegemony is here in my opinion it failed. I'm not saying that I don't like the game playing it but felling a bit uneasy well knowing that f.x. Philip didn't reach to set his foot on Persian soil, that luck falled on Alexander to do that.

This is a what-if scenario: What would have happened, if Philip survived long enough to invade asia minor?

By the way:When will you tell us the setting for the sequel? When the gold version is released?

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 1:30 pm

This is a what-if scenario: What would have happened, if Philip survived long enough to invade asia minor?

When the Rick is saying "sticking to a historical settings" I understand it as there'll be no deviation from historical facts so "what if scenarios" in my opinion belong to the sandbox version. By the way my comment was addressed to Rick.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 1:45 pm

I am sure you will survive my comment :)
And historical setting simply means the "setting" is historical. If they make a game about ufos attacking the Roman empire it would still be a historical setting.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Well it could be a "what if" Alexander the Great survived and destroyed Carthage and Rome before they could even begin to know what hit them but I'm all for historical games!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Well it could be a "what if" Alexander the Great survived and destroyed Carthage and Rome before they could even begin to know what hit them but I'm all for historical games!

No it really wouldn't... historical games in its true meaning means that it has to follow event(s) as they really transpired according to known recorded history...

Level 8 Human Vault Technician
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 10:36 pm

I'm not sure why you want everything to play out *exactly* the same way it did in history though. You don't need a game for that, you can just watch a documentary of the period on History Channel.

Games are meant to give you a freedom of choice (to rewrite history) that movies and history books can't. Recreating a historical setting usually means giving you the same things one nation/leader had to work with at a given point in history. In other words, your starting point is historical (along with some scripted historical events as you progress, but those too are better off being slightly random in my opinion) but what you do with that is totally up to you afterwards.

Can you repeat Alexander's feats? Can you even go beyond what he accomplished? Will you take the same path or will you go a different one? It's all about how you'd fare in his boots, but that should include the freedom to do better/different, not being restricted to just "do the same or do nothing".

Posted on October 13, 2010 at 10:44 pm

Yeah, we were trying to find a balance between historical accuracy and freedom. There's a reason we didn't make you conquer Persia to win the game :)

Level 8 Human Vault Technician
Posted on October 13, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Yes, and that was very cleverly executed that way. History fans do get the choice to simply follow real history (more or less) by sticking to the main objectives.

---- SPOILER ALERT ----

Once they finish those, Philip bites the dust and they get to continue as Alexander to conquer the rest of the place if they so please.

---- END OF SPOILERS ----

Nobody forces you to invade Persia as Philip. But you still can *if* you have the strength and the will to do it. And I loved that freedom.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 14, 2010 at 6:06 am

Totally agree! The Hegemony approach is unique: Historical well-researched setting, and a number of objectives, some historically accurate to gently steer the player and avoid total sandbox and some hypothetical to give the player a chance to outperform Philip (or at least choose a different path), or, as in the sequel, [Alexander] (speculation!).

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 14, 2010 at 8:55 am

I really hope they pick Rome as a setting. There are so many conflicts that could be chosen. The unification of italy, the war against Pyrrhos of Epirus, the 3 punic wars, the gallic wars, etc. These could be limited to a smaller map (I think a map of the whole mediteranían world would be cool, but could be too much to be enjoyable): Italy, Sicily, gaul, etc.
The eastern world would be cool too. The rise of the Assyrian empire, the conquests by Kyros the great maybe?
Sth. I don't want to see would be eastern asia. OI course, there were many great and epic wars, but for me this setting isn't that interesting.

Level 8 Human Gem hunter
Posted on October 14, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I think a game with the different clans of Japan in the Sengoku period (also known as the fighting kingdoms period) fighting each other would be interesting. There were over 200 different clans governing Japan at that time, so there would be no shortage of factions...

Maybe even have it during the 19th century when the Japanese military was trying to become modern, with some groups having infantry with muskets, and others having samurai... But they said they probably wouldn't do the 19th century for awhile, if ever, so I'll just continue to dream about it instead :D

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 15, 2010 at 6:12 am

I think a game with the different clans of Japan in the Sengoku period (also known as the fighting kingdoms period) fighting each other would be interesting. There were over 200 different clans governing Japan at that time, so there would be no shortage of factions...

Maybe even have it during the 19th century when the Japanese military was trying to become modern, with some groups having infantry with muskets, and others having samurai... But they said they probably wouldn't do the 19th century for awhile, if ever, so I'll just continue to dream about it instead :D

Wait for shogun 2 total war....
But Rick said the setting they alreadydecided for a setting nearly 100%, so let's wait what they pick.

Posted on October 19, 2010 at 1:43 am

It's not Japan, although a few years ago we were pretty seriously considering doing a game on Jimmu, the first emperor of Japan. It would have been quite a different sort of game to work on, since the only information we have about him is shrouded in legend.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 19, 2010 at 6:05 am

Sounds good, Rick. My only wishes are that

1. it applies the great Hegemony (Gold) approach,
2. is set historically,
3. in Ancient or Dark Age (early Medieval √° la Charlemagne or Great Invasions) times, and
4. focuses on or around the Mediterranean or Europe.

How many points out of these 4 do I score? ;o)

But I am not picky. If just 1. and 2. are fulfilled, I'm happy...!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 19, 2010 at 6:14 am

I will buy the game anyway. Would like to support game developers with interesting game concepts and the right approach.!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on October 19, 2010 at 9:31 am

I will buy the game anyway. Would like to support game developers with interesting game concepts and the right approach.!
Dito. The gamepay is unique and great.

Pages 1 2 3