Skip navigation

DirectX Error : Hegemony: Philip of Macedon

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > DirectX Error : Hegemony: Philip of Macedon
Level 10 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 9, 2010 at 8:30 am

Whenever I try to run Hegemony I get a DirectX error:

"Hegemony failed initilization and was unable to open.
Reason: Unable to create DirectX device. Make sure you have the lastest version of DirectX installed on you machine. Invalid call"

I have paid for the full version and am running Windows XP sp3. The download and istallation completes without any errors. I have checked on Microsft's website and I have the latest version of DirectX. I have removed and then reinstaled the game and problem persists...

I'd be very grateful for any help/advice that anyone can offer.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 9, 2010 at 8:59 am

You may have already done these but:
Reinstall DirectX drivers (As an admin. if you're not)
Uninstall the game, go regedit and delete all entries that have to do with the game and the company, then reinstall the game as an admin if you're not
Check for incompatibilities hardware and software

Level 10 Human gamer
Posted on July 9, 2010 at 12:29 pm

Thanks - I'll give it a try. :)

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on July 9, 2010 at 5:00 pm

We've recently discovered that this error can happen if the game is trying to choose an invalid resolution. There's a bug that could cause this to happen if you've chosen 'desktop resolution' and you've recently downgraded your monitor.

Try explicitly setting your resolution through the launcher.

Level 10 Human gamer
Posted on July 10, 2010 at 5:58 am

I've tried both suggestions and am still getting the same error... I have now loaded this onto my notebook. Not ideal, but at least I am now playing! :)

Thank you (both) for taking the time to offer your help.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on July 12, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Are you sure the resolution that Hegemony is trying to use is one that's supported by your video card and monitor?

Also, have you tried the 1.1.2 beta yet? It should add the resolution that the game is trying to use to that error message, which can be particularly useful if you're just using 'Desktop Resolution' instead of explicitly setting the resolution.