Skip navigation

A minor thing about the navy

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > A minor thing about the navy
Level 8 Human Vault Technician
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 29, 2010 at 9:00 am

Two minor things actually:

1. How do you capture triremes? Because I just happened across the official feature list promo of Hegemony and the last line says: "Conquer the seas - Build or capture a fleet of triremes to protect your coastlines, raid enemy merchants, or drop an army at your enemy's backdoor.".
Having played through the game I can't remember a way of capturing them, but it'd be a really nice idea. On my playthrough, I chose not to expand eastward until the entire greek mainland to the west and south of Pella (including the Peloponnese) was mine - didn't want to open up a new front to the east while facing constant attacks from the south.
But I do recall wishing I had a couple of triremes to take over some island cities I was forced to leave behind due to a lack of passage. If you'd gain control of the the triremes docked in the cities you capture, this problem would be solved. It could even be a nice touch as you'd have to take very good care of those ships until you take Olynthus.

2. On a related note, there's a mission to destroy 30 athenian and persian ships. If you say capturing docked triremes is a bad idea or can't be done, wouldn't it be nice to at least consider them destroyed instead so they give credit towards these missions? Because right now, they just vanish. ;)

Level 8 Human Strategos
Posted on June 30, 2010 at 12:12 am

I don't know how to capture them either, though you can destroy them when they're beached by attacking them with land troops.

Re capturing them in cities, wouldn't any half way sensible ai sail them out before the city fell, so you'd only be able to capture them if you took their last port. Though being able to capture the fleet from Pherae would be nice.

Level 8 Human Vault Technician
Posted on June 30, 2010 at 12:31 am

Yes, I destroyed most of them the same way, the poor attackers often didn't even get to leave their ships. ;)

And about sailing out - maybe you could have this work only during the stormy winter season when they're much less willing to sail anywhere. In winter you could argue that maybe they're not prepared to sail out or something.

Alternatively after beating back an amphibious assault you could be given an option to capture the ships the bad guys landed with.

Level 8 Human Strategos
Posted on June 30, 2010 at 7:13 am

I can't think of any ancient historical examples of people actually operating captured ships, although you could force a conquered state to send it's navy to assist you.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on June 30, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Eep! This was a feature we removed from the game, and forgot to remove the reference to it on our website.

You used to be able to right-click on a trireme to capture it, but we ran into two problems: first, there's not really any historical precedence for this happening, and second, the player was able to get lots of free triremes.