Skip navigation

AI fighting AI

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > AI fighting AI
Level 8 Human Strategos
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 22, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I thought they didn't do this, but last night I saw the Thracians attacking the Athenian colony at Neapolis. Of course the Athenian hoplites gave them a good beating. I tried to send some cavalry to help, but they got there too late.

Anyway it's nice to see that there's some action going on.

Level 8 Human Vault Technician
Posted on June 23, 2010 at 3:13 am

I agree, one of the things I love the most about strategy games is watching the AIs fight eachother. Makes the game world feel more alive and presents a whole new layer of strategic opportunities.

Hegemony is a bit more like a freeform strategic-adventure game in this respect, in that it's quite static on a grand strategic scale, and conquest is more like advancing through levels in the order of your choice. There's no AI vs AI wars to take advantage of, no AI expansion turning some rivals into big empires that'd make them a priority threat etc, so it matters little which way you start expanding, aside from some variation in local units and food supply, each front is pretty much the same - luckily, the objective system is doing a great job keeping you motivated in spite of that (and of course the awesome feeling of looking through your growing empire, admiring the glory of what you've become - made even more pleasant by the beautiful art ;) ).

The only AI vs AI action happens when they get in eachother's way while going for you. Like in your case the Athenians got into the way of the Thracians who were enroute to attack you. Same thing happened to me regularly at the Dardanelles strait where the Athenians had a city on the northern side of the land passage to Anatolia while the Persians had one on the south and they kept trying to attack my city to the north of the Athenian one but to do that, they had to march through under the Athenian city's walls (at which point I usually moved down a catapult to stir the Athenians, making them rush out straight into the Persian army *cackles*).

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 6, 2010 at 7:37 am

I agree with that but have only one question? Why would you want to help the Athenians? Let them both weaken each other out and then go and take both their cities with half the force and effort...

Level 8 Human Strategos
Posted on July 7, 2010 at 1:08 am

I was trying to help the Thracians, as that Athenian city was one of my next targets. Didn't get there in time to save the thracians, but did draw the hoplites out so I could flank them

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 13, 2010 at 1:11 pm

Let the slaughter each other and then take both their cities without spilling your blood (or as little as possible)...