Skip navigation

Awesome

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Awesome
Pages 1 2 3
Level 12 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 18, 2010 at 3:49 am

I have heard of that Tmapper at vorklift right? and i think its under modifacation tools. Thanks for all your help Dude.

your very welcome

its always been my pleasure to teach others how to mod

as nobody taught me, let alone nobody cares about modding like they used too as people like killer are too busy and lost interest

some think they have made everything possible to be modded for tread marks,

for those people i have many surprises ;) ;)

P.S. I REALLY hope that you start a server with that mod

i will, its a very complex mod, still needs a lot of work

this summer wasn't how i anticipated so i don't have much time to finish it

but i will eventually finish it

however i do have many other projects in mind

i'll be on vacation at crescent city for 4th of july i'll work on it then

until then i can help you or anyone else that needs it :)

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on June 18, 2010 at 11:06 am

Yes i think there is a lot more to mod besides like weapons and maps. I am also going on vacation but i wont be able to work on my mods.

P.S. how did you learn to mod if no one tought you.

Posted on June 18, 2010 at 11:39 am

Yes i think there is a lot more to mod besides like weapons and maps. I am also going on vacation but i wont be able to work on my mods.

P.S. how did you learn to mod if no one tought you.

i learned by learning how TM work, testing how mods work by knowing the commands, and reconfiguring the mod repetitively to get a feel of how and mod behaves.

learned how to use 3d mesh soft

learned how to use grphics edtors,sound editors e.t.c to make mods

took me 5 years of learning to achieve this

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 18, 2010 at 2:04 pm

ok now a lot of things are modded jsyk (just so you know)

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on June 18, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Its not that I personally lost interest (hey I did bring up a Armageddon Ver 3 LOL) Its just I have a 2 year old that keeps me *very* busy so between my video games and music hobbies got reduced to music and the occasional game (entirely on the PS3), so no time to mod. :(

If you use TMapper, make sure you grab the new one which fixes alot of issues. Also, I have a few TM docs that were pulled together over time from various sources (like the eek.zip and tm_text.xls) which is helpful. I'm still in the process of building a new TM site, so you're still stuck with the direct file dl for now:

Stuff that I created or had a hand in (including TM Mapper version 2) and tools are here:
http://www.boomstickjoes.com/treadmarks/files

and all the mods accumulated from other sites are here:
http://www.boomstickjoes.com/treadmarks/files/tm%20mods

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 19, 2010 at 2:05 am

It says it cannot find the main files :(

Posted on June 19, 2010 at 11:46 am

LOL, I had an older version on my site. I uploaded the newest one which does work. try dling it again. just delete the old one and not just unzip the file over the old.

Posted on June 19, 2010 at 5:43 pm

ok now a lot of things are modded jsyk (just so you know)

i'm well aware of that pawnage

Its not that I personally lost interest (hey I did bring up a Armageddon Ver 3 LOL) Its just I have a 2 year old that keeps me *very* busy so between my video games and music hobbies got reduced to music and the occasional game (entirely on the PS3), so no time to mod. :(

which is why i said earlier that some are too busy and some lost interest

i've been busy myself i left lda a few times because of that

just mainly used a few names for reference as there were modders in the past that lost interest or quit nobody really talks about modding anymore anyways because of that i doubt newer people would know who i'm talking about.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 20, 2010 at 5:49 pm

one question for modding what does "sizebias = -1" ive changed it to different numbers but then the weapon turns white.

Posted on June 21, 2010 at 9:59 pm

one question for modding what does "sizebias = -1" ive changed it to different numbers but then the weapon turns white.

size bias refers to how the texture is mapped to the object

i wouldn't worry much about that command, as it it doesn't do much

but if you really want to see how to use it

i'll describe how it works or what its used for i'll label that here

though i'll have to check back a few things as i've been too busy to make or complete any of my mods and i don't remember every function perfectly...

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 21, 2010 at 10:57 pm

if its no big deal then i dont think you really need to worry about it. but another thing i was wondering how you change the lenght of a weapon's projectile and when i change tankgod sabot i changed it to 800 but on the tanks it only goes to 16 why?

Posted on June 22, 2010 at 12:59 am

if its no big deal then i dont think you really need to worry about it. but another thing i was wondering how you change the lenght of a weapon's projectile and when i change tankgod sabot i changed it to 800 but on the tanks it only goes to 16 why?

hmmmm thats something i haven't experimented with much

theres two other ways to scale projectiles

you can use the normal scale command to change its size but i don't remember how to specify length

i think it is: format Scale = X Y Z: 1.0 - 1.0 - 1.0)

instead of just Scale = 1 (like you see on a normal tank ent .)

-----------

the other alternative is a much easier one

you can scale the size of projectiles by using a mesh program and scaling the actual object

as every TM design for weapons, tanks, or anything else that uses a mesh (execpt for maps: a.k.a the map itself not including any weapons or anything else just a green field)

you can use that method easily for mods

but for stock servers using modified stock content you will have to scale your way or the other way i mentioned

i haven't experimented with that (in that way

i don't know the solution for that method of using the sabot method

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 22, 2010 at 8:39 am

thank you it would be very helpful and also i was wondering if you could change zentreadi plannetary assult so it shoots out nukes or something in stead of those beams of light.

Posted on June 22, 2010 at 1:30 pm

thank you it would be very helpful and also i was wondering if you could change zentreadi plannetary assult so it shoots out nukes or something in stead of those beams of light.

yes you can, but it may be too advanced for you

depending on how that weapon was designed it might be an entity chain based weapon

meaning = you may have find that specific projectile in the entity chain if its that type of weapon

i haven't experimented with that weapon but with similar weapons and many weapons alike that use entity chains

it can be very complex to edit this type depending on what you want

if you don't know how to edit the projectile from the ent. chain i can't help much.

whether its an entity chain or not

you'll just have to find the projectile for the beam of light

make a modified nuke, then copy all the settings from the modified nuke to the projectile.

make sure not to copy anything that may conflict

if so modify the settings to work with the other entities so the weapon works properly = if its an entity chain

Posted on June 22, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Dunno why you'd want to modify my ZPA to fire nukes, you'll be better off just designing something from scratch. Basically you want a weapon that fires a projectile which triggers a spewer to fire off a bunch of nukes in random directions. positioning a single spewer in the middle of the map, way above the ground is enough.

ZPA uses 5 spewers to fire a combination of 3 different, randomly selected, projectiles in random directions which self detonate. those projectiles never touch a tank, they just detonate at the end of their TTL. These projectiles are completely unguided and since they donot have an object or sprite associated with them, only the location of a detonating ZPA projectile is communicated by the server, making it a very lightweight in terms of lag even though it fires several hundred of them. Intermediate position updates for each projectile are not sent out by the server. The only position updates that occur are:
1-when a projectile is spawned
2-when the projectile detonates

That design won't work for nukes. Using that many spewers will generate too many nukes which will drag the server into a stall. Nukes use guidance which the game has to compute for each possible target. So 100 nukes with 10 tanks on the field means 1000 calculations per frame just to handle guidance. Since all in-flight nuke positions have to be updated by the server and communicated to the clients, this will lag the server very badly as the server will need to pump out 100 nuke position updates per frame per client. This is necessary as the nuke projectile is visible *AND* can collide with a tank: intermediate updates must be pushed from the server otherwise the player will get upset as he/she thinks a nuke ought to have missed them since the client side calculated a miss when it drew the nuke on the screen, but the server calculated a hit based on the servers interpretation of the player's location which was different than the client side interpretation of the player's location. Since TM is a dictatorship, the client outcome is overruled by the server, and the player feels cheated.

I hope that makes sense.

As a side, the ZPA is designed after a specific scene in an Anime called "Macross" (a.k.a. RoboTECH) where planet earth is surrounded by several million alien (Zentreadi) battle cruisers which fire off their main guns, promptly wiping out 75% of the Earth's surface in a minute long laser bombardment. From the view of the surface, all you see is flickers on light in the upper atmosphere (the weapons charging up) followed by a hundred meter wide laser beam ripping through the sky.

Posted on June 23, 2010 at 1:51 am

Dunno why you'd want to modify my ZPA to fire nukes, you'll be better off just designing something from scratch. Basically you want a weapon that fires a projectile which triggers a spewer to fire off a bunch of nukes in random directions. positioning a single spewer in the middle of the map, way above the ground is enough.

agreed, i would recommend that, and however i don't recall working on that weapon so i don't really know what to expect

thanks for pointing that out.

That design won't work for nukes. Using that many spewers will generate too many nukes which will drag the server into a stall. Nukes use guidance which the game has to compute for each possible target. So 100 nukes with 10 tanks on the field means 1000 calculations per frame just to handle guidance. Since all in-flight nuke positions have to be updated by the server and communicated to the clients, this will lag the server very badly as the server will need to pump out 100 nuke position updates per frame per client. This is necessary as the nuke projectile is visible *AND* can collide with a tank: intermediate updates must be pushed from the server otherwise the player will get upset as he/she thinks a nuke ought to have missed them since the client side calculated a miss when it drew the nuke on the screen, but the server calculated a hit based on the servers interpretation of the player's location which was different than the client side interpretation of the player's location. Since TM is a dictatorship, the client outcome is overruled by the server, and the player feels cheated.

thats why i said its possible to be done, doesn't mean it'll work they way you'd want

off course if i remembered or bothered to mod this weapon i'd know

thanks again for pointing that out ;)

As a side, the ZPA is designed after a specific scene in an Anime called "Macross" (a.k.a. RoboTECH) where planet earth is surrounded by several million alien (Zentreadi) battle cruisers which fire off their main guns, promptly wiping out 75% of the Earth's surface in a minute long laser bombardment. From the view of the surface, all you see is flickers on light in the upper atmosphere (the weapons charging up) followed by a hundred meter wide laser beam ripping through the sky.

lol i forget about that, the last time i played a game of that i lost complete interest

for the record i should make a famous armored core weapon ;)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 24, 2010 at 11:35 pm

ok killer that was probably the most intellegent thing i have ever heard so i wont mess with it (because it is a cool weapon) so i will take your advice and start from scratch.

P.S. can you make a weapon that shoots out EVERYTHING?

Posted on June 25, 2010 at 3:16 am

ok killer that was probably the most intellegent thing i have ever heard so i wont mess with it (because it is a cool weapon) so i will take your advice and start from scratch.

P.S. can you make a weapon that shoots out EVERYTHING?

yes

in a way like killer mentioned

or another but similar way

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 25, 2010 at 10:59 am

well i didnt start from scratch but i started from the weapon armageddon.the mesh is really wierd because instead of massdriver2 i just got rid of the two and now there are 2 boxes. i removed the drill bit and it fires 120mm shells and thats it so far.

P.S. i will try for the weapon that shoots out everything when i know more.

Posted on June 25, 2010 at 10:37 pm

If you want something that launches everything, check out the chaffmaster 3000 mod. That'll get you closer.

Pages 1 2 3