Skip navigation

game start and speed controls?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > game start and speed controls?
Level 8 Human retired & slacker
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 12, 2010 at 12:30 pm

sorry, but i'm just starting the registered game. how do you quick enter a new game without the dialogs? is it a shell for the loading itself, or can the lag-time be eliminated? -- i couldn't find a key-press ( as in total war games ) to bypass the loading screens. also, is there a key for game-speed?

thank you.

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on June 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm

The "Escape" key will get you past the new-game cut-scene.

The game only has one speed, plus "pause" to give you the extra time you'll need to respond to threats and plot moves.

-Jim

Posted on June 13, 2010 at 2:52 pm

thanks, jim. when i've used 'escape' it's taken me to the game, but there's an help overlay that prevents me from entering the city? and, i sort of dick around with the keys and stuff and eventually the game begins? but, i haven't a clue how to get around that helpless feeling of being locked out by helpful. : )

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on June 13, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Sorry, there's currently no way around clicking through those first few camera tutorials to enter the city.

-Jim

Posted on June 14, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Sorry, there's currently no way around clicking through those first few camera tutorials to enter the city.

-Jim

most bazaar: many things to see, nothing to want.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 18, 2010 at 4:35 am

Deciding whether or not to make the opening tutorials compulsory was a controversial issue here in the office, but in the end we decided that players wouldn't be able to enjoy the game unless they knew how to control the camera and command their units. To keep everybody happy, we made these tutorials as short as possible: if you follow the instructions, you can complete these tutorials in a few seconds, and these are the only compulsory tutorials in the whole game.

As far as load times, there was a trade off to be made here. Hegemony has one long load time at the start of the game, but absolutely zero load screens after that. Unlike Total War, Hegemony is completely seamless, and you won't see a single load screen once you've started playing.

Posted on June 19, 2010 at 1:02 pm

don't some other games and apps have a box of tips at start and which can be selected to not show again at start-up?

Deciding whether or not to make the opening tutorials compulsory was a controversial issue here in the office, but in the end we decided that players wouldn't be able to enjoy the game unless they knew how to control the camera and command their units. To keep everybody happy, we made these tutorials as short as possible: if you follow the instructions, you can complete these tutorials in a few seconds, and these are the only compulsory tutorials in the whole game.

As far as load times, there was a trade off to be made here. Hegemony has one long load time at the start of the game, but absolutely zero load screens after that. Unlike Total War, Hegemony is completely seamless, and you won't see a single load screen once you've started playing.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 22, 2010 at 4:57 am

In most games, the "don't show this again" option means don't show any tips later in the game, but you usually still have to re-select it each time you start a new game. In Hegemony, there aren't any other compulsory tutorials after the first one, so it's unnecessary.