Skip navigation

Parorbelia oddity

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Parorbelia oddity
Level 8 Human Gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on June 10, 2010 at 7:18 pm

I have restarted once again to try new strategies and tactics and I noticed an oddity this time around: when I captured Amphaxis, Parorbelia (just north-east of Pella, north of Borboros) was already Macedonian. I've only played to this point about three times but this is the first time I noticed that.

Did it start as Western Odrysian and rebel? Does it start independent and I just happened to get there first or something? (Unlikely since Amphaxis was already Odrysian and I advance like an arthritic turtle at the best of times....)

What a superb game. One thing, though: it's so addictive it ought to carry a health warning! "I'll just secure that flank...."

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 10, 2010 at 9:51 pm

I think that city or one right by it (north of the first Chalcidian city, right?) also always rebels to me. It's a Macedonian city, maybe the AI just doesn't keep a large enough garrison in it?

Level 8 Human Gamer
Posted on June 10, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Yes, that's the one: it's basically the second Odrysian city than you're likely to come across. Interesting how the first two times I got to this point, I had to fight for it. I've restarted about six times so far (and have yet to finish :-) and each game has thrown new twists and surprises at me.

Level 8 Human Gamer
Posted on June 11, 2010 at 2:07 pm

FWIW, it was definitely a rebellion; I caught a city in the act last night. I wonder if you still need to capture a Macedonian city which is rebelling or if you can just walk in and take it?

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 18, 2010 at 3:58 am

This is rare, but it does happen sometimes. Most often it happens if the AI successfully captures one of your cities, but the AI does start with some Macedonian cities, and sometimes the AI might decide that it's not worth quelling the rebellion. Basically, it has to make the same decisions you do :)

If a Macedonian city is rebelling, you could either wait for it to rebel, or you could siege it. Sieging shouldn't take too long, since you already know that there's not a very big garrison there, if there's a garrison at all.