Skip navigation

Congratulations thread

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Congratulations thread
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 10, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I want to create this thread for those who like the game as I do.
I din't enjoy a strategy-game as I enjoyed hegemony since the release of Rome - Total War(medieval 2 was ok, Empireis simply awfull). The quest/mission system keeps me motivated, the supply sytem makes war far more realistic than any other (ancient) real time strategy game, and the setting (Philips rise to power) is new in the genre. And when 5 brigades of phalangites march in perfect battle formations, I don't miss Rome in any way.
I hope you will make a game series (maybe Alexander the Great, Hannibal, Caesar or sth. else).
Long speech, short message: Thank you for this game.

Level 8 Human Contractor
Alignment: Good
Posted on June 11, 2010 at 12:05 am

I have to agree. I pretty much given up on any RTS since, well I don't even remember what the last RTS was I played. They all blend in to this same old pattern which makes it kinda hard to tell em apart.

In any case. This game just grabbed me and sucked me in like no other game has done in a very long while. I don't even know where to start. The amount of though and attention to detail that went in to it keeps surprising me the longer I play.

I love the way that you handled the resources. You made them important but didn't let the resource gathering drag down the gameplay.

Also objectives and the map size. It gives you freedom to tackle them whichever way you choose yet it gives game the needed "story" structure. The fact it all takes place on one map and that the gameplay is uninterrupted creates the immersion I have not experienced in very long time. Once you start expanding your territories you realize it is not that easy to call in reinforcements on a whim. Walking the unit of hoplites from your southern cities to the northern Illyrian boarder cities takes some time. It puts strategy in to RTS which is such a fresh thing in this genre.

The immersion is further enhanced by the great music. It fits so well and it does not get old even after playing this thing 30 or more hours. The sound effects are just as good. I want to shake the hand of whoever came up with the idea to add audio cues on important events. I can be in the middle of a huge involved battle but as soon as I hear that drum hit I know there is something else afoot. Zooming out I can immediately see where my attention is needed. Just look for red or yellow spots.

I'll stop here because it is getting a bit late. There is much more to say about this game and I will do so as I remember it later on.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on June 18, 2010 at 4:13 am

Thanks for your comments guys; your support means a lot to us!

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on July 13, 2010 at 5:35 pm

Just want to say what an impressive game you had made here, tried out the demo abit and decided to get the full version today :).
I am sure the purchase is well worth it. Keep up the good work.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 15, 2010 at 11:24 am

I'll agree with them, great game with loads of potential and fun!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 18, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I would like to add mine as well. One of best indy games I played. :)

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 20, 2010 at 5:10 am

Game impressed me a lot. I like you've chosen uncommon Philip's reign of Macedonia rather than Alexander the Great age.
Objective system is good, I act prety close to real Philip did and allow to make my own game in the areas where I completed all the goals. So having the objective to revenge the Delphi I can continue to conquer west borders. Love that map and historical persons are pretty accurate.

I think it has potential to reflect other historical ages. Ceasar or entire republican Rome might be good idea, and user may select which person he would like to lead. Objectives feature might represent political struggle somehow.

Thank you for the game

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on July 25, 2010 at 3:22 pm

My congratulations too, and I really hope to see the game concept in other ancient settings, e.g., Roman Republic, Alexander the Great, etc.!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on September 6, 2010 at 6:49 pm

All,

I was lucky enough to stumble across your booth at Gen-Con last month. With a little demo watching and a couple questions, it was less than 10 minutes before I bought a copy. I've got in just under 20 hours of gameplay so far; let me say, this game is pretty awesome. The sound is great and the level of addiction is, for me, on par with the old Warlords games (turn-based) --there's always, at least, just one more thing I want to take care of before I quit. Really, it's a little more addictive, since there are hardly natural stopping points. I really enjoy the different levels of detail while zooming in/out on the map. It's great to watch the unit animation as they fight, die, replenish, pick up food, etc.; and then I can zoom out just enough to where I can see the units represented each with their own single figure--well thought out. The pace has, so far, been perfect. In my game, there have been just enough periods of quiet that I don't get exhausted; but never long enough that I get bored. The openness of the game is superb. There are the objectives I have to complete to win, but I can go off and do something else for a while if I like, too. I love it!!

Thank you. And keep producing excellent games!

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on September 7, 2010 at 8:00 am

You Guys are truly amazing !

Hegemon is the game which will take me out of Total War for quite a while ;-)

I've been longed for a game covering the intrincate politics of Greece all these 30 yrs of a wargamer life.

A suggestion: why not do a game covering Pelopponesian War ? Several factions, persian meddling, Sicily and South Italy embbeded....I'm sure u r the guys !

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on September 9, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I bought this game on a lark at PAX Prime when I saw the guys at the booth demo'ing it for a little bit. 20 bucks got me a case with a manual which is almost unheard of for me these days, I play nearly everything on Steam and Impulse.

I can't recall who it was I was speaking to (one of all you guys in togas) but after less than ten minutes of watching SOMEONE ELSE play this game I figured I'd like it.

Wow. I was right. I've been playing it to death the past week. The fact that you're a small studio that pulled this off makes me even happier.

Level 8 Human QA Tester
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on September 12, 2010 at 7:01 am

@ BloodbathNBeyond: Pretty much exactly what happened with me. Pax Prime, toga guy, somebody else playing it, etc. etc. The only difference was that I asked Mr. Toga to describe the game to me, and in under 2 minutes I handed him a 20 dollar bill. I then proceeded to read every last word of the manual, which I haven't done since, I don't know, 1999? Anyway, I ended up buying 3 games at PAX, and the first one I popped in my computer was Hegemony. This was a bad choice.

I haven't even opened any of the others yet.

This is seriously my favorite game. Ever. Thank you.