Skip navigation

The Glory that was Greece

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > The Glory that was Greece
Level 9 Human Strategos
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 10, 2010 at 5:29 am

I just wanted to congratulate you on making a great game, and thank you for making such a detailed, realistic and beautiful recreation of ancient Greece and the surrounding regions. I've been interested in ancient history for a long time, and just wanted to let you know that at least one of your customers appreciates the loving that the map has obviously been given, and all the other historical details. It's great to see this area and period so beautifully brought to life. Good to see Phillip V getting some press too.

On one level I'm a little disappointed that the combat system is more like WWII than the ancient world, but I'm having great fun with it anyway.

As an independent developer myself (Ntronium Games) I also realize what a great achievement this for a small studio. I hope you find a publisher soon to get you the publicity you deserve.

Level 9 Human Strategos
Posted on June 11, 2010 at 1:58 am

Played the game a bit more last night, and am coming to appreciate the combat system more. In the early game it feels very WWII like as units get ground up and recycled. but as you get further from your homelands, it takes longer for the reformed units to get back to the front, so you have to fight the battles with what you have to hand, which gives a better ancient feel.

And while the catapults are ridiculously powerful against cities, they do force the garrison to come out and fight a field battle, which is a mechanic that works well. I tackled the Chalcidian League last night, and what I thought would be a boring slog (given their number of cities) was actually great fun, and I was able to advance rapidly. When winter's over, I'll finish them off.

Most annoying thing so far, is having units trashed by peltasts if you take your eye off them for a few seconds.

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 12, 2010 at 6:07 am

It really is a great game, but I think you mean Philip II. I made an account just to say that... I'm a jerk.

Level 9 Human Strategos
Posted on June 13, 2010 at 1:39 am

Oops. Shows I'm more of a hellenistic guy really. Phillip V was an interesting guy too

Anyway, at least you're a correct jerk :)

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on June 18, 2010 at 4:18 am

Glad to hear you've been enjoying it. I was curious what you meant when you said it felt like a WWII sim, but I think I see what you mean about units getting ground up early in the game. The logistics of feeding your armies as they move further and further away from home was one of the things we wanted to focus on, so I'm glad to hear it strikes a chord for you.