Skip navigation

Slaves in enemy mines start with max food?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Slaves in enemy mines start with max food?
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on June 5, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I've noticed that all the slave groups that begin in enemy controlled mines are fully loaded with food. This seems a bit silly, and I'm assuming this wasn't intended. The enemies never benefit from this anyway, and it's just an unrealistic boon for the player which will eventually capture them.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 5, 2010 at 2:12 pm

wow I have never noticed that since I never toot the workers out of their mines after capturing them.^^ There is no reason for it really ^^
But nice find ;)

On the other hand y shouldnt they be loaded with food? workers need to eat while working too xD
I think they have food since the designers originately wanted to make workers to consume food too which they dropped for final release and probably forgot about the AI factions having mines with workers loaded with food ^^

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on June 5, 2010 at 4:04 pm

If you look carefully, when you capture an enemy mine that has workers in it, those workers are converted to slaves automatically. The food they carry are whatever the ai had given them before the mine was captured.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

If you look carefully, when you capture an enemy mine that has workers in it, those workers are converted to slaves automatically. The food they carry are whatever the ai had given them before the mine was captured.
It all makes perfect sense now =]

Level 8 Human Tyrant
Posted on June 6, 2010 at 11:30 am

Thanks for this, saved me losing a city to rebellion when my army moved out taking all the food with it :)
Managed to pull some slaves out of a nearby mine to drop off their food until I could get the suppl routes up and running!

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on June 8, 2010 at 9:52 pm

It all makes perfect sense now =]

No it doesn't. I don't see any workers converted to slaves, and the slaves start the game in the mine already full with food so I don't see how the AI gave them anything.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on June 9, 2010 at 4:43 am

It probably is an artifact that survived from an earlier version of the game.

It used to be that workers picked up food all the time, just like troops, so if the AI decided to take send a worker to the mines, the worker would pick up some food as it left the city, and it would keep that food on it as it walked to the mine, even though it didn't need any food for itself. After playing with the game like this for a while, we made a saved game that we used to create the 'initial state' of the campaign.

Later, we decided that workers (usually) shouldn't pick up food unless they're explicitly ordered to, but since those workers already had food in the mines, they got to keep it, and we didn't notice. It doesn't really break anything, though, so look at it as a secret bonus :)

This can still happen naturally if a worker or slave walks over the food piles left by defeated enemies on their way to the mine, but usually they won't end up with max food this way.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 9, 2010 at 4:59 pm

hehe I knew it :D