Skip navigation

I need more troops

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > I need more troops
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on June 3, 2010 at 4:28 am

So far I like the game except for the whole lack of troops, i know its meant to be challenging but to me it's just not fun... How can I increase my population cap in the game files? Or can sombody change it and post the altered file here?

EDIT: I had a look around and was wondering in the campaign.XML it has each of the cities, their population caps and their population. If I change the population does that mean that they will change in my current game or will I have to start again?

Thanks in advance.

Level 8 Human Lurker
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 3, 2010 at 11:40 am

You also can activate the console and add more populatio/gold that way.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 3, 2010 at 12:25 pm

How do you add population?

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on June 3, 2010 at 6:46 pm

The easiest way to give yourself free brigades with with the command:

addbrigade peltastbrigade

The other types of brigades are pretty straight-forward: phalangitebrigade, hoplitebrigade, etc...

You'll eventually use up your gold by doing this, but you can fix that with the 'awardgold <some number>' command.

If you don't want to cheat, though, here's a couple tips:

First, don't underestimate the importance of tearing down walls. Not only does this eliminate the chance of a city rebelling, meaning that you don't need to keep a garrison in it, but walls also cost 2 pop points. Tearing down walls is a really easy way to get more pop points.

Also, catapults don't cost any population, and they can be pretty deadly. They've got terrible defence, so you need to protect them, but they're irreplaceable in siege.

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on June 3, 2010 at 10:27 pm

I did not realise that about walls.... I was under the impression that they added population points.. Thankyou for the tips :D

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 4, 2010 at 1:36 am

I did not realise that about walls.... I was under the impression that they added population points.. Thankyou for the tips :D
Walls of macedonian cities take away from your native population and walls of foreign cities take away from your mercenary population cap. (2)

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 4, 2010 at 2:22 pm

First, don't underestimate the importance of tearing down walls. Not only does this eliminate the chance of a city rebelling, meaning that you don't need to keep a garrison in it, but walls also cost 2 pop points. Tearing down walls is a really easy way to get more pop points.

I find this very counterintuitive... why should a walled city have a *greater* chance of rebelling than an un-walled one (which in the game has *no* chance of rebelling)... ? I understand it's a game mechanic meant for balance, but it just seems strange to me. Why should you have incentives to *not* wall up your cities? It seems to me you should have incentives to build walls and invest in defending your cities.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 4, 2010 at 2:58 pm

I find this very counterintuitive... why should a walled city have a *greater* chance of rebelling than an un-walled one (which in the game has *no* chance of rebelling)... ? I understand it's a game mechanic meant for balance, but it just seems strange to me. Why should you have incentives to *not* wall up your cities? It seems to me you should have incentives to build walls and invest in defending your cities.

This is everything BUT unintuitive. We are not in a time of huge empires we are in a time of city-states.
The cities with walls are more likely to rebel since (when theres no combat unit in the city) its easy to overtake it and you have good protection with the walls to recruit yourself an army, then ally with neighbouring city states etc (if you may have noticed often cities of enemy factions state something like "city-state allied with ... altough this is setup already so no dynamic alliances in the game"
So you see if they want to rebel and create their own state they need an army to protect them which they just cannot recruit if they don't have the safety of city walls.

Also you have to man the walls too otherwise they are quite useless thats why they take 2 population away representing the wall guards! =] So its quite logic to tear down walls in the heart of your empire where everything is safe

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 4, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Interesting...had not thought of that. You're right to put the emphasis on the city-state -- I guess I was thinking more in terms of coherent, centralized empires.

Still, I'm not sure why the game tends to make walls more of a liability than an asset... kind of wish it were the other way around. But I guess it forces you to make a decision -- if a city is worth putting up walls, you're going to pay a price for it.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 4, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Suppose it mentions this walls/population thing in-game.
I've been struggling for pop points the whole game! Should really read the tips/help more often.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 5, 2010 at 2:52 pm

The easiest way to give yourself free brigades with with the command:

addbrigade peltastbrigade

The other types of brigades are pretty straight-forward: phalangitebrigade, hoplitebrigade, et
c...

You'll eventually use up your gold by doing this, but you can fix that with the 'awardgold <some number>' command.

Also, catapults don't cost any population, and they can be pretty deadly. They've got terrible defence, so you need to protect them, but they're irreplaceable in siege.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 5, 2010 at 2:53 pm

The problem with adding a brigade is that it causes the game to fail to load from a saved game.

Level 8 Human gamer
Posted on June 6, 2010 at 7:42 pm

I don't see what the problem is with the population limit. I'm almost always well below it and capable of launching a campaign and still holding my own territory. Don't build walls around a city you're not going to fight around, don't try to garrison each city up to the eyeballs, and always flank the enemy so you can capture some of them as slaves. I have no civilian workers but I have slaves about to pop out my ears. oh and keep your garrisons relatively small. one brigade of spearmen should easily hold a city long enough for reinforcements to arrive.