Skip navigation

Supply Trains

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Supply Trains
Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Evil
Posted on May 31, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Hi, love the game but I often find my armies attacking or besieging running out of food and reinforcements. I thought it may be a cool feature to have supply trains which create a supply route to a general and as such his army. I know you can run slaves and workers along with food but I thought this would be a little easier and it can get tedious to have to move the slaves/workers back and forward all the time.

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 31, 2010 at 9:36 pm

well creating a road which leads to nothing but a stationary army wouldnt make too much sense ;)
Try stacking food in the nearest city to your invasion beforehand. Also you can carry hordes of sheep with you to provide you with food on the run. Heroes with high logistic stats also help ( as well as when you lvl up your macedonian troops leveling logistics would help staying well fed.

I think if you put your troops alongside a road on which food gets transported they will be supplied too (depending on the size of your army)

Level 8 Human Gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on May 31, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Don't forget that workers and slaves can carry fairly serious amounts of supply with them. Also, remember that you can do exactly what armies of the time did: forage from their enemies' farms (which has the added benefit of denying it from them). I don't believe that one gets any supply from proximity to roads, but one of the LGA folks would know better than I. AFAIK a unit only resupplies automatically when in the resupply radius of a farm or city, or is garrisoned -- and obviously only if there is food to be had.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 1, 2010 at 12:02 am

Don't forget that workers and slaves can carry fairly serious amounts of supply with them. Also, remember that you can do exactly what armies of the time did: forage from their enemies' farms (which has the added benefit of denying it from them). I don't believe that one gets any supply from proximity to roads, but one of the LGA folks would know better than I. AFAIK a unit only resupplies automatically when in the resupply radius of a farm or city, or is garrisoned -- and obviously only if there is food to be had.

hmm i remember having a troop camping alonside a road near a mine to protect it and it didn't run out of food? maybe I was just thinking that because they had good logistics stats a hero or something..

Level 8 Human Gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on June 1, 2010 at 12:19 am

I could easily be wrong. Perhaps mines have a supply radius too? I can't check right now....

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 1, 2010 at 7:13 am

Mines don't have a supply radius. Camping makes a big difference and when in enemy territory, attack their oxcarts.

Oxcarts drop food when they are attacked.

-Jim

Level 8 Human Tyrant
Posted on June 1, 2010 at 4:33 pm

Is attacking an oxcart the same as sitting a troop on top of a supply line?

I'd also like to add that I think sheep are the answer to a lot of problems! I usually gather two or three before going on a campaign. And if you have a town with a un-feed-abley large garrison you can keep it going by gathering sheep and sending them there!

I suppose the same can be done with workers/slaves in transferring food from town to town, but they require population/baby-sitting respectively!

Much <3 for the sheep :)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 2, 2010 at 12:19 am

Is attacking an oxcart the same as sitting a troop on top of a supply line?

I'd also like to add that I think sheep are the answer to a lot of problems! I usually gather two or three before going on a campaign. And if you have a town with a un-feed-abley large garrison you can keep it going by gathering sheep and sending them there!

I suppose the same can be done with workers/slaves in transferring food from town to town, but they require population/baby-sitting respectively!

Much <3 for the sheep :)

Well the oxcart is carrying a max amount of food which he drops when he gets killed. he is more comparable to sheep or workers carrying food than to a unit beeing supplied. When you troops sit on the trade road the oxcarts will stop traveling thus no constant steam of food will come to your troops. You can hower use "raid" tactics like raiding the oxcard plundering its food leaving the road again wait for the next oxcart etc.

Hower you shouldn't rely on oxcarts beeing able to support armies of yours. see them more as easy and fast support for your raider/scout troops.

Yes you are doing good utilizing the sheep =] They are indeed very useful but for my part I don't use them enough as of now. Only tried to use them in 2raids and they do seem to help alot but you have to take yourself extra time to take units to capture the sheep and you generally have to plan your invasions more beforehand which is a good thing =)

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on June 2, 2010 at 4:13 pm

We actually had specced out something very close to the supply trains you suggested earlier in Hegemony's design.

In one design, you literally created a supply line between a brigade and a city, and oxcarts or workers would run back and forth to supply them with food. The problem with this design was that units moved much faster than oxcarts (as they should!) so their food usually wouldn't get there in time.

Later we came up with the idea of planting 'supply depots' wherever you needed them, and they had one market node, so you could create a trade route that way. We also wrote code to let you build forts anywhere on the map, but we ended up dropping the building feature for historical accuracy and for simplicity.

That led to the design we have now, with the sheep, and with workers not consuming food.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 2, 2010 at 7:16 pm

We actually had specced out something very close to the supply trains you suggested earlier in Hegemony's design.

In one design, you literally created a supply line between a brigade and a city, and oxcarts or workers would run back and forth to supply them with food. The problem with this design was that units moved much faster than oxcarts (as they should!) so their food usually wouldn't get there in time.

Later we came up with the idea of planting 'supply depots' wherever you needed them, and they had one market node, so you could create a trade route that way. We also wrote code to let you build forts anywhere on the map, but we ended up dropping the building feature for historical accuracy and for simplicity.

That led to the design we have now, with the sheep, and with workers not consuming food.

I tell you there are nasty sheep thieves in this game ^^
Mine always get stolen before I get to use them =(

As for the forts sad thing =/ it would be indeed very nice to be able to build forts on your own, but your design is very good and most of the castles are very well positioned, but on some places I would wish for another castle =]

Level 8 Human gamer
Alignment: Evil
Posted on June 2, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Well I've taken all your advice and now am able to keep my army supplied with a rather large trail of workers, slaves and ships as well as sheep whenever i can get them. I think I was just having a bad time campaigning in an area with very little food and a lot of enemies. (damned Illyria!)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on June 2, 2010 at 9:38 pm

Well I've taken all your advice and now am able to keep my army supplied with a rather large trail of workers, slaves and ships as well as sheep whenever i can get them. I think I was just having a bad time campaigning in an area with very little food and a lot of enemies. (damned Illyria!)

Yeah those illyrians can be nervewrecking. I advise you to punish them and to the objectives there capturing Diabolis etc. That should get you relief from the illyrians... =]