Skip navigation

Superb game!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Superb game!
Level 9 Human Gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on May 30, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I've played many hundreds of games in all manner of genres over the years (*cough* decades) and I've never before felt compelled to write fan-mail. What a fabulous game! I won't add "for an independent", because this is easily every bit as good as plenty of big studio titles. For a small team, it's a real triumph.

On a marketing note, I discovered this title only because it happened to appear on Impulse. That's not a plug for Impulse (it could just as easily have been D2D, GamersGate, etc.), but rather an observation that even in the new media age, established channels still do count for something. Thanks goodness for me you did publish it there or I might have missed this gem entirely!

Level 22 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 30, 2010 at 5:14 pm

Thank you ever so much! The support is greatly appreciated.

As a small Indie with no marketing budget, it's always a struggle to get noticed.

-Jim

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 30, 2010 at 11:36 pm

Yes, gotta say, I'm pleasantly surprised by this game. Good job . Like DH I wouldn't have stumbled across this game if it wasn't for Impulse. I've download quite a few good games off there that I would never have heard of.

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Evil
Posted on May 31, 2010 at 3:34 am

Yes thank you very much for this brilliant game, hours and hours of fun! I noticed it from Rock, Paper, Shotgun.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 31, 2010 at 6:14 am

Yes, its a very good game.

At first it looks like it was too stressfull and difficult before 1.1.
But now on normal level whith 1.1 things are much easier and you have the time learning all the tricks and strategies.

Now I became familiar whith the game. How to prevent to be attacked, how to starve cities, how to conquer them best etc.

Please, if you develope the game further, dont make it too easy. For example if you introduce diplomacy etc.
I think many complaints about difficulty from us was because we had not enough expirience with the game.
Normal level is fine. But its now sometimes too quite and easy for example on the illyrien Front. I now conquered the Thessalian League and Pherae whitout beeing attacked from Illiyrians or anyone else any more, defending the whole western Front (Heraclea, Eordaea, Elimea) only with 4 weak Units. Thats for example a bit too easy even for "normal" level I think. I dont want too much (only stressfull)raids with weak Units. But sometimes a real offensiv from the illyrians or some other neighbours would be nice.
I remember only one and that was nice.
If I dont attack a neighbour they never attack me on normal level since now. That looks a bit too easy.

By the way... I have a bug. Athen tried to disembark an army to reqonquer Pydna. But there only appears a ghostarmy only seeable at the strategic view. They failed to disembark the army correctly and since then they never invaded again.

I am 33 years old and an expirienced strategiegamer since the early days. I believe meanwhile its not so easy to attract me. You made a good work. I have lot of fun with your game and follow discussions in german strategieforums about your game with mostly positive feedback from the hardcoregamers. I think word will spread around.Keep up the good work. May the sales be with you!

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 31, 2010 at 7:44 am

I must correct myself. After I wrote this post the Illyrians seem to wake up again and attacked me.:)

Edit: And now the Arcanian League attacked surprisingly without any provocation. Very good!

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 31, 2010 at 3:56 pm

I've bought it yesterday from impulse too, but i've noticed it somewhere else over a week ago, i just can't remember where anymore. Must have been one some forum.

This game definitely deserves a lot more publicity.
I've created a thread about this game on my main local forum, so i hope at least a few more people decide to get it.

And by the way i've also been playing all kinds of strategy games for almost 20 years now, and this game was a very nice surprise.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 31, 2010 at 5:45 pm

I've bought it yesterday from impulse too, but i've noticed it somewhere else over a week ago, i just can't remember where anymore. Must have been one some forum.

This game definitely deserves a lot more publicity.
I've created a thread about this game on my main local forum, so i hope at least a few more people decide to get it.

And by the way i've also been playing all kinds of strategy games for almost 20 years now, and this game was a very nice surprise.

Rock, Paper, Shotgun wrote an article about this game. Probably you saw it there =)

I have to agree with everything said above me. The game is superb and a better challenge than most of the AAA titles.

Also yes, I agree that this game could need more publicity. =] Maybe bring it to steam? There are alot of Total war players there because of sega's decition to work with steamworks... Just a thought.
I already have the game and wouldn't have want to miss it. And i guess there are alot of players that would enjoy this game alot but don't know of its existence.

Your system how you stack your units together to a bigger group so they stay in order when you move them around is utterly brilliant! The map you made is the best (and prettiest) Campaign map I've seen in any game. Very superior design!
Also you really made something work what the total war series tried with Empire (getting buildings out of the city into the countryside) your system does exactly this but it really brings you benefits in this game in pillaging the countryside. You did what CA wanted to achieve.
Then again your brilliant seamless zoom and realtime... gotta love it :D

Little details like camping my troop alongside a road to have it in supply but still far away from the city to provide a frontiers defence... your supply system also rocks since you really have to think about how to supply your army on a campaign, stock your food accordingly on the front beforehand to ensure a steady stream of food.
Otherwise you may have a frontiers city heavily guarded by many of your elite troops just to have them running out of food and thus out of morale leaving them as easy prey to my enemies.
This makes me having to really think where to put which hero, it makes me hord armies of slaves ready to transport badly needed food to besieged regions or regions where I want to make a further advance.

For example on my Northern border (just right from pella) I have a very important fortress where I get invaded by a faction constantly thus I have to ensure nothing comes threw there.I issued 2units of Spearman and a scout cavalry to do the job. (1 unit to man the catapult and one unit to block the narrow path)
Well for the first few attacks it ran well (the fort beeing connected to the nearest city) then food supply went short since it turned out that the amount of food supplied steadily to the fort wasn't enough to support the amount of troops there so their morale sank steadily as the food shortened and a big enemy attack later the whole army of that country (forgot the name :S I'll look it up) pushed into my unprotected land giving me huge troubles.(my troops ran from battle because they had no food+morale left)
After struggling to get them out again I then selected the nearest farm to the fort, destroyed its supply-line with the city and instead made it supply the fort only.
Ofcourse normally someone would connect the farm with the city, but here I needed so much food that I needed to concentrate food supply to the fort. Now my soldiers are well fed and do a great job eliminating the invadors :D
Alternatively I could have ofcourse chosen to invade this country to get relieve for my Border there but I am currently planning invasion of the land of the myrmidons wuhaha :D

On a side note from some views (especially from the side) the phalangite models look too much like play soldiers. From front they look like human phalanx troops but from some angles it looks like the helmet is too big for the soldier himself.

Other than that I love every aspect of the game!

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 31, 2010 at 5:55 pm

AeneaS, i like it for exactly the reasons you mention, and no i didn't see it on that site. God it bugs when i can't remember something like this. Basically it just means i've heard of this game completely randomly.

I've created another thread on a bigger US forum that i frequent, so that might help just a little bit. And i've actually described it something like RUSE + Total war.
Realtime Total War with RUSE-like strategic zoom, with active pause and the battles being fought directly on the strategic map. So i totally think Total war fans would like it.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on June 2, 2010 at 2:51 pm

Thanks guys, we're glad you've been enjoying it! And thank you for trying to bring it to the attention of other players; like Jim said, it's always a struggle for indie developers to get enough marketing.

@AeneaS: We'd love to get on Steam, but so far we've had trouble attracting their attention. If some Steam users were to bring it to their attention, it might help ;)

@Elvis: I'll have to double-check with Rob, but he just recently committed a fix for amphibious raids, so hopefully that problem will go away in the next update.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on June 2, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Update: I just asked Rob, and the amphibious raid problem he fixed was a different problem. If you still have the saved game for what you're experiencing, though, send it over to rob@longbowgames.com and he'll take a look at it.