Skip navigation

Demo Install Issue With Wine (NEWEST VER.) On Ubuntu 10.04

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Demo Install Issue With Wine (NEWEST VER.) On Ubuntu 10.04
Level 13 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 18, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Upon Seeing Endless Bugs of This Game I Was Expecting This

It Installs and before creating a shortcut to hegemony philip of macedon in program files it just hangs at that point going nowhere

by the way

i hate wine more than any other emulation software

as its one of the most pathetic emulation software releases that shouldn't have ever existed!

so let me know if you can fix this
--------------------------------------------------------
if you can't its okay as i'll be most likely dual boot windows xp

to show how much i enjoy wine i'll give it a good F###IN VIOLENT GOODBYE :(!!!!!!

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on May 19, 2010 at 12:48 am

I'll admit, I didn't try running the installer on Wine. If you have access to Windows, you might be better off installing it on Windows and copying the files over.

Also, check which version of Wine you're using. The 'newest version' on Ubuntu is a 1.0.x build, unless you explicitly install the development version. Hegemony runs better on a 1.1.x build of Wine.

Level 9 Human Sorcerer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on May 19, 2010 at 7:25 am

Also fiddle around with some of the settings in winecfg - try running it as different versions of Windows (especially try Windows XP).

Also, and this is very important, always run wine programs from the console (ie use the command: wine program.exe). This is because any errors get printed there. Post the errors it gives here when you do, and maybe one of us will be able to figure out whats wrong with it..

Level 13 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Posted on May 19, 2010 at 10:57 pm

I'll admit, I didn't try running the installer on Wine. If you have access to Windows, you might be better off installing it on Windows and copying the files over.

Also, check which version of Wine you're using. The 'newest version' on Ubuntu is a 1.0.x build, unless you explicitly install the development version. Hegemony runs better on a 1.1.x build of Wine.

i do have the 1.1.x build i already verified that

i'll run the console and see whats going on

i'll update this post if i find anything out

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 20, 2010 at 4:30 pm

I had this same issue. It hangs while trying to create a Desktop shortcut or something. For me, I just killed the installer and ran the game and it worked fine. One thing I did do was configured wine to run as a virtual desktop, this made it so the gnome-panel wasn't constantly popping up and overlaying into the game.

Demo worked flawlessly at this point and I played through the whole thing. I will be buying it tonight and will let you know how the real deal goes :)

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on May 20, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Near the end of the install process, the game unpacks all the sounds. It silently runs the game to do this, and it can take quite a while; it's usually 10-30 seconds before you even see the progress counter update.

If you cancel during this phase, the game should still work fine, because the game will unpack the sounds on first run if the installer didn't manage to.