Skip navigation

64-bit version of Tread Marks?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > 64-bit version of Tread Marks?
Level 11 Human Writer & Computer Consultant
Alignment: Good
Posted on May 12, 2010 at 6:45 pm

What is the likelihood of a 64-bit version of Tread Marks? Considering the speed boost that native 64-bit code would give on most modern processors, this seems to be a good idea, if it is simply a flag-controlled recompile.

Also: Has anyone else run into a client crash at the "Map Loading" screen while trying to connect to a server with a lot of ENTs? If you have, what is the workaround or solution you found? One server setup I looked at tried to sync an incredible 605 entity files. Even after downloading all the SSO and client-side weapons packs, I'm still getting crashes and feeling a bit frustrated. (BTW: Most frequent crashing is with my own server. Go figure.)

Machine specs:
(Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005)
Intel i3-based laptop with 4GB DDR3 RAM
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit (fully updated)
All drivers current versions

Level 12 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 12, 2010 at 10:58 pm

What is the likelihood of a 64-bit version of Tread Marks? Considering the speed boost that native 64-bit code would give on most modern processors, this seems to be a good idea, if it is simply a flag-controlled recompile.

Also: Has anyone else run into a client crash at the "Map Loading" screen while trying to connect to a server with a lot of ENTs? If you have, what is the workaround or solution you found? One server setup I looked at tried to sync an incredible 605 entity files. Even after downloading all the SSO and client-side weapons packs, I'm still getting crashes and feeling a bit frustrated. (BTW: Most frequent crashing is with my own server. Go figure.)

Machine specs:
(Toshiba Satellite A505-S6005)
Intel i3-based laptop with 4GB DDR3 RAM
Win7 Home Premium 64-bit (fully updated)
All drivers current versions

the likelihood of a 64 bit version?

i don't think rick has much updation to tread marks in mind

if he's actually up too that or other fixes he might since he released hegemony.

but i can tell you this

tread marks needs a serious update

i would be willing to make that update if i had the programming knowledge and owned the copyrights to it

---------------------------------------------------------------------

i've had most experiance as a modder running servers most of the oldies haven't ran a mod server in years

what sso packs are you adding as i have had issues trying to run servers with such complex mods like das tornado as tread marks lags and crashes if you have so much running.

have you verified and tested your downloaded mods work properly?

as not all mods work well with others or work properly i had the same error last chirstmas i ran a server called ice wars with tons of mods and my server crashed and kept crashing because the holiday 2006 pack had a modification of the das tornado that was buggy and crashed my server constantly

solution?
i examined the mods and logged server activity found the culprit and when i researched it from an old post of who made it figured out what was wrong with it
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i would recommend that you log the server and client connection activity through the client

check your mods for bugs\research them by looking for old posts or newer releases on the net

if you want any help from me

let me know what sso packs and tanks you have

any other questions and info you provide will help me determine your problem

i may have a surprise next week for you all as my birthday is coming soon!

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on May 13, 2010 at 12:06 am

64 bit version? Doubt it.

Also, I have to banish 2 major pieces of misinformation:

1) Changing a program from 32bit to 64bit does not increase speed: Simple straight conversion of the code will slow down it down. Especially when loading data which now has to be twice the size as it was before.
2) 32bit to 64 bit is *NOT* a simple compiler flag switch. Software has to be modified to be able to work with 64 bits, often
times it involves significant rewrites.

Proper 64 bit conversion means alot of work, especially to avoid point #1. The effort is better spent on Treadmarks 2.

Posted on May 13, 2010 at 3:07 pm

64 bit version? Doubt it.

Also, I have to banish 2 major pieces of misinformation:

1) Changing a program from 32bit to 64bit does not increase speed: Simple straight conversion of the code will slow down it down. Especially when loading data which now has to be twice the size as it was before.
2) 32bit to 64 bit is *NOT* a simple compiler flag switch. Software has to be modified to be able to work with 64 bits, often
times it involves significant rewrites.

Proper 64 bit conversion means alot of work, especially to avoid point #1. The effort is better spent on Treadmarks 2.
Well, I did say "IF it were a simple flag-controlled..."

Thanks for the clarification. And I agree with you. However, what sorts of things could be done to make TreadMarks II? I can think of a few things, but most of what I can think of would make creating levels more difficult (although it could also make racing more challenging once more, which may balance).

Still looking into creating a utility that helps create all needed ENTs for a weapon, etc., in a way that existing tools can confirm and package the weapon/tank/etc. Pity all my programming language knowledge is so badly outdated! :sigh:

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on May 13, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I actually have been working on Tread Marks in my free time, and I'll have some news eventually, but I don't usually get that much time to work on it.

Personally, I don't really have any interest in releasing a 64-bit version of TM. For something like TM, there's not really any benefit to it. It would mean maintaining two builds, it would cause customer confusion, and as Killer said, it's not really going to improve performance.

Posted on May 13, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Personally, I don't really have any interest in releasing a 64-bit version of TM. For something like TM, there's not really any benefit to it. It would mean maintaining two builds, it would cause customer confusion, and as Killer said, it's not really going to improve performance.

i wouldn't have much interest either in a 64 bit version

i would prefer voip more than anything for tm right now

I actually have been working on Tread Marks in my free time, and I'll have some news eventually, but I don't usually get that much time to work on it.

i remember you saying in the past you work on it on your free time

if you don't mind?

what have you worked on or been working on for tread marks?

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on May 13, 2010 at 8:16 pm

It's a surprise :)

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on May 13, 2010 at 8:55 pm

If I knew you were working on it I would've loved to help. :)

I do have some requests:

1) give an option to a spewer to switch from map relative to last "facing" direction relative. Basically allowing rotation of the spewer to change the spew directions.

2) better collision detection against meshes (well maybe not so easy) and perhaps allow a "top" and "bottom" so tanks can roll on top of meshes (we can make stuff like bridges and buildings, etc again probably not easy). Maybe the possibility for holes (so to make arches and stuff, probably not easy unless the collision detection was replaced with something more advanced). As some may not know (though I doubt it) the mesh collision detection is simply a map oriented bounding box with no top, and has trouble with large meshes (my boomstickville map's syndrome of drive though buildings)

3) give meshes hit points so they can be destroyed :) I did this using 'fake' tanks in maps like citidel-invasion and CTF-tower raids, but they don't exactly stay put as a mesh do. Combined with #2 can be used to make some really interesting maps.

4) give projectiles the ability to apply directional energy to an impact (both map relative and heading relative x,y,z acceleration), and allow negative directions. This will make things like "magnetic" weapons possible (like what I attempted to do with the shock cannon - suck tanks into the middle of a blast zone)

We moders can make some real interesting stuff with those tweeks. :D

Posted on May 13, 2010 at 9:29 pm

It's a surprise :)

good i like surprises

If I knew you were working on it I would've loved to help. :)

I do have some requests:

1) give an option to a spewer to switch from map relative to last "facing" direction relative. Basically allowing rotation of the spewer to change the spew directions.

2) better collision detection against meshes (well maybe not so easy) and perhaps allow a "top" and "bottom" so tanks can roll on top of meshes (we can make stuff like bridges and buildings, etc again probably not easy)

3) give meshes hit points so they can be destroyed :) I did this using 'fake' tanks in maps like citidel-invasion and CTF-tower raids, but they don't exactly stay put as a mesh do. Combined with #2 can be used to make some really interesting maps.

4) give projectiles the ability to apply directional energy to an impact (both map relative and heading relative x,y,z acceleration), and allow negative directions. This will make things like "magnetic" weapons possible (like what I attempted to do with the shock cannon - suck tanks into the middle of a blast zone)

We moders can make some real interesting stuff with those tweeks. :D

i have a few requests though there are more advanced things i would ask for from tread marks

1) allow number of projectiles fired at once (as weapons have this function why not tanks?

2) weather engine rain, snow, etc (i would really like treadmarks to have a weather sim instead of only having skyboxes and map textures it would make the game far more impressive

3)a configurable ai function as part of the entities (i know this is difficult but i'd like to control the ai or at least be able to spawn ai's using weapons or powerups that when spawned aren't dummy tanks!

4) scope function (again i know this isn't that easy but i would highly appreciate if you could make a scope , zoom ,or even a targeting function if that existed we could have snipers and better air strikes , and allow for tanks to pin point targets at long ranges for firing missiles aka long range tanks

5)moving tank treads (again this feature is only for weapons like the avenger if you added that to tanks it would be far more impressive and realistic

6)voip chat (i can't say how many times i have to stop my tank and chat and i get killed. if we had voip it would be a lot more fun and easier for clan matches or online play...and i think all of us would be very satisfied with that

7)choose what tanks the ai should use not what type(i would really prefer to choose the ai tank i want to fight rather than letting the game randomly select it so that way i could choose certain tanks with different settings to make the game more fun or challenging

8)add special modes not just DM\CTF or racing(its obiviously not likely that will ever happen but if it ever did it would make tread marks more unique and interesting to play with special scenarios or maps that aren't as simple or easy

thats just few in my head least advanced ones that is

Posted on June 4, 2010 at 11:41 pm

One specific change would make things a lot easier for people trying to prove their prowess (or at least number of kills!) in Deathmatch: Fix the rollover issue with frags.

It wouldn't be hard, actually. Just switch from using a single-byte variable to an Integer (or, if you wanna be really crazy, since it could never go negative anyway, use a Long Integer (which would allow 0-65000 or so, if I recall.)

Maybe bake tools into the game (see TrackMania Nations as example) to allow crafting of tracks.

Rolling tools in to create new weapons might be cool, but could detract from the game itself. LOL

Posted on July 13, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Star Striker stated,4) give projectiles the ability to apply directional energy to an impact (both map relative and heading relative x,y,z acceleration), and allow negative directions. This will make things like "magnetic" weapons possible (like what I attempted to do with the shock cannon - suck tanks into the middle of a blast zone)I think this is already done; I know that getting hit by the Black Plague or other powerful missile can send you flying... LOL

He went on to specify:1) allow number of projectiles fired at once (as weapons have this function why not tanks?Makes sense, since some tanks do have two barrels!

His next request was,2) weather engine rain, snow, etc (i would really like treadmarks to have a weather sim instead of only having skyboxes and map textures it would make the game far more impressiveRequires pretty significant changes to the engine.

Star Striker then asked,5)moving tank treads (again this feature is only for weapons like the avenger if you added that to tanks it would be far more impressive and realisticThis one would also require changes to the engine, which apparently doesn't currently support that sort of thing. (Agree that it would make the game more realistic (as if racing tanks is actually realistic? LOL), and the Rigs of Rods open-source project might be useful... hard to say.)

He then requested,6)voip chat (i can't say how many times i have to stop my tank and chat and i get killed. if we had voip it would be a lot more fun and easier for clan matches or online play...and i think all of us would be very satisfied with thatUm... try Skype in conference mode. Works, because it's voice-activated microphone.

His next suggestion was7)choose what tanks the ai should use not what type(i would really prefer to choose the ai tank i want to fight rather than letting the game randomly select it so that way i could choose certain tanks with different settings to make the game more fun or challengingAgreed, though other than the Behemoth, which wouldn't be fun to be up against, since I've personally seen the thing absorb multiple nukes and the hit points barely drop! (At least the version in TreadMix shows that behavior. Slow, but absorbs ridiculous amounts of damage). Other tanks are less likely to cause that sort of overly-difficult challenge.

Level 8 Human
Alignment: Evil
Posted on July 14, 2010 at 1:39 pm

I found my old cd i got at a discount store and so far its working on my laptop and i have new hp with 64bit and win7 i find that there is no problem playing it on here NOW MY DSL sucks LOL but as far as the game running its aok here...

BUT here is something to help boost more sales place TM or one of the others as a FREE game to the public and run a program to run websites logo while in play to drive the consumer to perches more of the newer games they are putting out.
DEMOs only get so many hits FREE?? well thats a no brainer

Posted on July 16, 2010 at 12:04 pm

Paw: The game has already been dropped to about what I paid for it when I bought it from Britain via eBay (in fact, I'm thinking I paid slightly more than the current price, since it was £4 (which is currently US$6.13) for just shipping, although the game itself was £0.99 (about US$1.52), making my total price nearly $8) I think their current policy should drive sales quite nicely. It is my opinion that too many gaming companies (Longbow isn't one of those) overprice their new games, sometimes to a ridiculous extent. Add in other things that Longbow Games doesn't do (copy protection, activation, etc.), and it's clear that the other companies aren't as customer-friendly as Longbow Games is. (Thanks, guys, and I will at least try the Phillip of Macedonia demo)

I plan to also buy quite a few of the other Longbow Games titles, too, but finances are brutal right now.

Updating the game to better utilize modern hardware might be a way to make the game sell better; as for the alternate modes (other than deathmatch and CTF) someone else has mentioned, I have no clues; the game is not set up as a RPG or quest-based adventure game, and I think it might be a bit too difficult to do that for the moment.

Hard to say, since first, I've no access to the source code, and secondly, what little I do know about C/C++ programming (and I assume it's written in C++!) is very much out of date (circa 1985 in my case), and was at the time the game was initially written.

Improvements to the current modes (and perhaps adding pavement into the mix for racing) might be the ticket. As I mentioned earlier, changing a single variable (total number of frags) and related variables from their current single-byte variable-types to long-integer would prove useful for deathmatch mode, and would be simple enough.