Skip navigation

Demo Help

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Demo Help
Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 10, 2010 at 11:37 pm

I don't get the game menus, tool tips, side bars, game manual,etc. until I'm five minutes or so into a demo game. Am I doing something wrong? I get all the menus after pausing but only five minutes or so in.

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on May 11, 2010 at 12:09 am

After the cutscene ends, the primary gui is hidden while the game teaches you the camera controls. The camera tutorial should appear in white text in the middle of your screen. The first message asks you to try panning and the second teaches zooming and rotating. After you complete each move the game should move onto the next phase. After the camera, the game introduces the pause feature and you can press space to unpause. At this point the gui should appear and you should have full access to the in-game manual by pressing F1. You'll still need to get Philip out of Aegeae to end the scripted portion of the tutorial.

I hope this helps. Our goal was to introduce the player to a few of the basics without the distraction of the gui. If this isn't what's happening for you let me know and hopefully I can help you out.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 11, 2010 at 12:30 am

Thanks. I understand.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 11, 2010 at 1:01 am

Was very nicely done but yeah you do get eager to jump in the drivers seat :) Played the demo twice now as I can't get enough of this game (looking at a 3rd time lol) - one ? can you change key bindings as I'm used too swiveling around with the right mouse but I supposed I could get use too the W & R keys in time.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 11, 2010 at 11:43 am

Was very nicely done but yeah you do get eager to jump in the drivers seat :) Played the demo twice now as I can't get enough of this game (looking at a 3rd time lol) - one ? can you change key bindings as I'm used too swiveling around with the right mouse but I supposed I could get use too the W & R keys in time.
I can see I'm going to have to write a tutorial about making custom key bindings.

We didn't have time to write an in-game tool to remap keys, but if you go to the folder where you installed the game there's a file called 'controls.xml' that you can edit (or make your own copy; be sure to read the comments). It's a little complicated, but also quite flexible.

But you might be happy with the controls we currently have; you can rotate with the mouse by holding down any of the following buttons:

Alt
4th mouse button (if you have one)
left+right mouse buttons

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on May 11, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I still want support for 3d mice ;)

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on May 12, 2010 at 1:41 pm

You could probably hack controls.xml. We have rudimentary support for Direct Input devices. At the end of controls.xml is a commented out section for controlling the camera with a controller (we used an Xbox controller for most of the trailer).