Skip navigation

Released

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Released
Pages 1 2
Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 10, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Congratulations on the release of your new game Guys/Gals just Downloading the Demo now :)

Quick Question - will "Hegemony: Philip of Macedon" ever be released as a Hard Copy game as I really prefer CD's http://www.users.on.net/~iane/List/Start.htm but if not and I like a Game I will get the Download version anyway.

Demo just Downloaded gonna check it out - gotta say bad timing on release date as after the Humble Indie Bundle purchase and Basilisk games releasing a game in 2 days I've just budgeted for I may yet have another game to buy lol :)

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 10, 2010 at 7:58 pm

Thanks for the 'grats! I hope you enjoy Hegemony :)

We'll probably have a CD in a couple months, but if you buy the digital download now, you'll still be able to buy a "replacement" CD later, so you won't be saving any money by waiting.

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on May 10, 2010 at 8:30 pm

Congratulations from me, too. I read Troy's post a Three Moves Ahead, and bought it after playing the demo. I'm having a lot of fun, so far.

I think that this game lends itself well to expansions, an Alexander expansion being the most obvious. The Peleponnesian War might be interesting, as well. Do you guys have any plans in that direction?

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 10, 2010 at 9:36 pm

Thanks for the 'grats! I hope you enjoy Hegemony :)

We'll probably have a CD in a couple months, but if you buy the digital download now, you'll still be able to buy a "replacement" CD later, so you won't be saving any money by waiting.

OMG did I - WOW you bet I did I LOVED it :)

OH! Man the game is Amazing - Had everything on high at 1920x1200 and ran smooth as silk.
Looks,Feels and plays better than many AAA titles - Well Done ALL.

Good to hear a CD version may come out later but this is on my to buy List next week - I'd really like to get now but like I said I've already Budgeted for a release on the 12th of this month.

WELL DONE LOVED IT :)
Edit: forgot to ask what the payment options are - paypal/credit ?

Level 10 Human gamer
Posted on May 10, 2010 at 11:37 pm

Congrats from me as well!

If I had the money I'd buy it right now (I'm saving money to move back to Canada), but its definitely on my 'to buy list'. :)

Level 9 Human sugarfreegamer
Posted on May 11, 2010 at 1:53 am

Just wanted to post to say well done on getting the game out, after a brief run with the demo, I was instantly sold on the title, and snapped it up.

For an indie strategy title, it really is very polished and stylish in its approach, being both fast paced and contemplative in its approach. It almost feels like you've out-trumped R.U.S.E. with your scaling and presentation.

I look forward to exploring the game fully, and sharing the experiences.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 11, 2010 at 5:33 am

Congratulation to the whole team. This game is really fantastic. And for an indie developer the graphics are great too. Nevertheless i have a few improvement proposals:

- The scroll with the mouse on the map edge is very jerky.

- Is it possible to alter the keys bindings? I would rather use 7 and 9 on the numpad instead of q and e to rotate the map.

- Can you publish a pdf version of the manual?

Hopefully the game is a success for you so you can work on an Peloponnesian War expansion.

Frank

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on May 11, 2010 at 11:07 am

Thanks for your comments.

The game defaults to a manual edge pan where you need to keep pushing the mouse against the edge of the screen to pan. We thought this worked better as it prevented large accidental movements. However, you can change the game to use a more standard auto pan in the options screen under gameplay.

We dont' have an in-game system for changing the controls but advanced users can modify the controls.xml file in the game folder to customize key and mouse bindings. On Vista and Windows 7, where access is sometimes restricted to the program files, you can place a copy of controls.xml in your user/appdata/roaming/Longbow Digital Arts/Hegemony Philip of Macedon and it will override the one in the game folder.

Posted on May 11, 2010 at 11:37 am

Edit: Damn, Rob beat me with his ninja post! Why do you always have to foil my master plans?

Wow, a lot of stuff to cover.

I think that this game lends itself well to expansions, an Alexander expansion being the most obvious. The Peleponnesian War might be interesting, as well. Do you guys have any plans in that direction?
Both of those ideas have crossed our minds. Honestly, we haven't decided where we're going next. Since we're an indie team and can't afford a marketing team, right now we're just spending some time pushing the game.

Developing a Hegemony-style game around Alexander's campaign presents some interesting game-design challenges, but rest assured that we've had a lot of discussions about it.

Edit: forgot to ask what the payment options are - paypal/credit ?
Right now we're only accepting Visa and Mastercard. Now that the game's out, I can spend some more time on the site, and I plan to add PayPal in the coming months.

It almost feels like you've out-trumped R.U.S.E. with your scaling and presentation.
Somebody else compared us to R.U.S.E. as well. Honestly, we didn't even know about R.U.S.E. until today. Believe me, we don't mind being compared to a game which was developed with an Ubi-sized budget.

The scroll with the mouse on the map edge is very jerky.
If you prefer the way edge-panning works in other games, you can go into the control settings and change the edge-panning style to 'auto'.

We generally found that it was annoying in other games how little control you had over the edge-panning; you know, you have no control over how fast it pans, and if you accidentally throw your mouse to the edge of the screen it just keeps panning and you get lost in the middle of nowhere. Our edge panning was designed to fix that, but people are so used to traditional edge panning that we knew it was important to include both styles.

Is it possible to alter the keys bindings? I would rather use 7 and 9 on the numpad instead of q and e to rotate the map.
It's possible, but it's ugly. We didn't have time to add in-game key remapping, but if you go to the folder where you installed the game you'll find a file called 'controls.xml'. Due to the nature of the game, remapping controls is a little complicated, but also quite flexible.

By default the numpad is bound to the nine buttons in the bottom right-hand corner of the screen.

Can you publish a pdf version of the manual?
This idea has crossed our mind. If there's interest, we'll definitely consider it.

Level 9 Human sugarfreegamer
Posted on May 11, 2010 at 2:30 pm

"It almost feels like you've out-trumped R.U.S.E. with your scaling and presentation."

Somebody else compared us to R.U.S.E. as well. Honestly, we didn't even know about R.U.S.E. until today. Believe me, we don't mind being compared to a game which was developed with an Ubi-sized budget.

It was me :) I blog at sugarfreegamer.com - I wasn't sure how Hegemony executed its transition from Strategic to Tactical scale, and was very pleasantly surprised to find its a seamless transition, the likes of which I've only seen before in games like the upcoming R.U.S.E. and also in World War II: General Commander. Although it has to be said, the latter game doesn't have such a smooth transition as Hegemony does.

A question I would like to ask is can you change the size of the font of the information displays (the left hand panels, like the manual information and the right hand objectives display)? Even at 1280x1024 resolution the text seems overtly big, and it slightly obscures the action. Just wondered if there was a way to scale the text/and bounding boxes down a bit. I suppose I might be able to try the game at even higher resolutions, but I normally play most games at 1280x1024.

Another question, which is probably answered somewhere in the manual info, would be does the acquisition of slaves actually cost you population points?

Anyway, big thumbs up from me, I wish you and the game every success.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 11, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Another question, which is probably answered somewhere in the manual info, would be does the acquisition of slaves actually cost you population points?

No, you get slaves from capturing routed enemy units, and they don't cost you anything in upkeep, not even food. The downside is that they try to escape as soon as they're out of sight of a city, watch tower, unit, etc. I find that beyond working in the mines, and building the occassional city wall, they're not much use. I've started executing enemy prisoners, since I already have more slaves than I know what to do with.

Posted on May 11, 2010 at 4:22 pm

Yeah, I usually throw all my slaves in the mines too. It seems like a good thing to do with slaves :)

It was me :) I blog at sugarfreegamer.com - I wasn't sure how Hegemony executed its transition from Strategic to Tactical scale, and was very pleasantly surprised to find its a seamless transition, the likes of which I've only seen before in games like the upcoming R.U.S.E. and also in World War II: General Commander. Although it has to be said, the latter game doesn't have such a smooth transition as Hegemony does.
Thanks! We really enjoyed your review. It was nice to see that you enjoyed so many of the things that we were hoping people would enjoy.

A question I would like to ask is can you change the size of the font of the information displays (the left hand panels, like the manual information and the right hand objectives display)? Even at 1280x1024 resolution the text seems overtly big, and it slightly obscures the action. Just wondered if there was a way to scale the text/and bounding boxes down a bit. I suppose I might be able to try the game at even higher resolutions, but I normally play most games at 1280x1024.
I'm afraid not. We actually designed the GUI to scale with the resolution, so that it's not unreadable in high definition. I could definitely see the use for a 'GUI scale' option, but that would take some work, since we didn't have it in mind when we designed the GUI.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on May 11, 2010 at 11:23 pm

I'd suggest you keep your slaves around in cities until you find mines for them. By the time you really start expanding, you can never get enough slaves for the mines, and the more you execute, the less you have to work. You can join slave groups together which will help keep you from having 50 groups of 3-6 slaves. They can group up to 40 slaves per stack, which happens to be the exact number needed for mines.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 12, 2010 at 5:02 am

Thanks

editing the controls.xml file was very easy. A pdf manual would be really helpfull. In the meantime in what file are the manual text stored? I would like to read them on my ebook reader. And is it important in which cities i settle my migrants? Has city size an effect in this game?

Bye
Frank

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on May 12, 2010 at 9:31 am

I just wanted to send the dev's a quick note of Congratulations. This game looks like quite an achievement! Although I've only played the Demo so far, I'm amazed by its refinement, depth, and polish. Once my new laptop arrives next week (which will be much better at handling this game than my current one), I will definitely be making this purchase.

Thanks again for delivering such a high-quality, fun product.

PS -- a pdf of the manual would be terrific. the ingame help is very well done, but a good old-fashioned manual for a game of this complexity is always a help!

Level 17 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on May 12, 2010 at 12:56 pm

thanks for the comments sandman :)

In the meantime in what file are the manual text stored? I would like to read them on my ebook reader.

The majority of in-game text is in a file called language.str in the resources\entities folder. There's a lot of extra formatting info in there though so I don't know how easy it will be to read.

We've gotten quite a few comments about a pdf manual and we are looking into it. Our primary concern, beyond the time involved, is in maintaining two copies of the manual as we continue to update and support the game.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on May 12, 2010 at 5:51 pm

Formatting is essentially XML, right? What about an XML -> RTF conversion tool paired with Open Office's print to PDF feature?

Posted on May 13, 2010 at 5:04 pm

Getting it in PDF form is the easy part. Deciding how to take a collection of hyperlinked pages and turn them into a logical sequence is the harder part.

Level 9 Human Gamer, writer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on May 14, 2010 at 3:00 am

So I'm currently capturing Elmedia or whoever those pricks are that keep raiding through the mountain passes in Lower Macedonia. Suffice to say, I'm loving the game, as I already cackle with maniacal glee while playing it.

Sins of a Solar Empire in Ancient Greece, is how I will describe this to fellow strategy enthusiasts. I will of course add "but more awesome" to the end.

There is only one thing that concerns me, and has stopped me from already purchasing. Free-form play? Or is every time through the campaign/reign of Philip? I'll likely purchase if such a thing is not in the game, but I'd like to know ahead of time.

Level 9 Human designer
Posted on May 14, 2010 at 10:51 am

Congratulations to all the folks at Longbow that helped get this released. I'm waiting to sort out an order via post(to get the CD) but have enjoyed the couple of run-throughs i've done on the Demo.

I hope it does very well for you, it should do as it an exceptional effort from an Indie. I look forward to all the modding and patching to ensure this remains a true gamers game.

Pages 1 2