Skip navigation

TM in Windows 7

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > TM in Windows 7
Level 10 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 29, 2009 at 9:24 pm

Hi

I've upgraded to Windows7 (whether foolishly or not, so far Vista64 seems far better), but my favourite prog TM won't run. It loads up the initial dialog where you choose regular graphics detail or high, then bombs out.

Has anyone any hints? I tried running in Vista Compatibility mode and it still went arse-up. It ran fine in Vista64.

Level 13 Human Cosmic Destroyer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on October 30, 2009 at 6:25 pm

try going back to Windows XP or vista. Microsoft has problems with backwards compatibility.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on November 1, 2009 at 5:06 am

According to Yahoo Answers, you could try:

1 set the compatibility tab in the properties screen of the icon, or shortcut if applicable.
2 reduce the hardware acceleration slider in the troubleshoot section of the video card in the screen where you chose resolution.
3 reduce the hardware acceleration of the sound card, refer Vista help files, (note its not necessary a sound fault, can affect games from playing)
4 the tick boxes are not chosen to the best settings on the icon or shortcut properties screens.

Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 10, 2010 at 4:36 pm

A common cure for older programms that don't want to properly run is to install to a custom folder. Make sure that you install OUTSIDE of the program files folder. Writing to that folder is restricted, only installers can write there, applications can't.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 12, 2010 at 6:44 pm

I just tested it on our Win7 machine, and it seems to work fine.

You are using the latest version (1.6.2), right?

Level 12 Human Writer & Computer Consultant
Alignment: Good
Posted on May 2, 2010 at 9:36 pm

I've a similar setup (Win7 Home Premium/64) and have never had problems with TM not running, but then, I've always installed it to \Games\Arcade\Treadmarks (or \Games\Racing\Treadmarks). Works without a hiccup.

Perhaps installing to a directory similar to my setup will solve the problem. :)