Skip navigation

Beta testers: Post bug reports here

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Beta testers: Post bug reports here
Pages 1 2
Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 4, 2009 at 9:39 pm

Thanks Dax, I've entered your bug into our issue tracker here.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on December 5, 2009 at 3:51 pm

Ahhhhh, more beta testers!

:)

Level 9 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 6, 2009 at 3:16 am

Here is another new tester for ya RC. :)

I do have one positive thing I'd like to point out. When installing the game the Hegemony directory actually changes when you move its location. Not all games do this, and I know its a minor thing, but its something that is a nice touch. So thank you for that.

* GK2Exception
Error initializing container unit. Path region is not valid.
This happened while putting a Phalangite into a farm field.

* Mouse movement on map needs to be more fluid.
Suggestion: Rather than requiring more mouse movement to scroll around the map, maybe using the smae system that the Civilization games use. That as soon as the mouse arrow hits the edge of the screen it keeps moving the map.

* Options greyed out on main screen. (the second screen after loading)

Questions:

1) Why is my food level in my second phalangite rapidly decreasing? (I'm still in tutorial)
2) How are skill points used?

Comments:

1) Intro sequence needs to speed up a tad bit.
2) (pleased don't feel offended) Intro voiceover kinda cheesy sounding.

I haven't left the tutorial yet, and I still have a lot to learn on how to play, but I'm liking it so far. :)

Posted on December 7, 2009 at 5:33 pm

GK2Exception

Hmm, that's odd, because you can't actually put troops in a farm, but the error message sounds like it was trying to do that. This is Rob's code, so I'll point him toward it, but if you can reliably reproduce that it would be really useful for us.

Options greyed out on main screen. (the second screen after loading)
That's because the options screen isn't done yet >:)

Mouse movement on map needs to be more fluid.
That as soon as the mouse arrow hits the edge of the screen it keeps moving the map.

Don't worry, we've already programmed this feature, and it will be available as soon as the options screen is done.

1) Why is my food level in my second phalangite rapidly decreasing? (I'm still in tutorial)
This is a system we're still playing with, and probably not teaching very well. To answer your question: troops only pick up food when they're within the food rings that surround cities and farms, and then only when the city has a surplus of food.

2) How are skill points used?
Click on the star icon to the right of the compass, then click on a unit with skill points (they'll have a star to the right of their name in the lower panel).

1) Intro sequence needs to speed up a tad bit.
2) (pleased don't feel offended) Intro voiceover kinda cheesy sounding.

Don't worry, we're not offended. That's my voice in there, but personally I hope we end up re-recording the voice-overs before the game launches.

I haven't left the tutorial yet, and I still have a lot to learn on how to play, but I'm liking it so far. :)

Thanks!

Level 16 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on December 7, 2009 at 9:37 pm

GK2Exception

Hmm, that's odd, because you can't actually put troops in a farm, but the error message sounds like it was trying to do that. This is Rob's code, so I'll point him toward it, but if you can reliably reproduce that it would be really useful for us.

Sounds like you built a new phalangite brigade in a city, selected them and then right-clicked on a farm. That error message is caused when a unit has trouble exiting a city, ship, or building. Do you recall what city and what farm you clicked and whether you were looking at the city at the time (on the 3D or strategy map)?

Thanks for the feedback, we're always interested in any comments, positive or negative, about the game.

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on December 8, 2009 at 12:40 am

Sounds like you built a new phalangite brigade in a city, selected them and then right-clicked on a farm. That error message is caused when a unit has trouble exiting a city, ship, or building. Do you recall what city and what farm you clicked and whether you were looking at the city at the time (on the 3D or strategy map)?

Thanks for the feedback, we're always interested in any comments, positive or negative, about the game.

The unit was created in Edessa and I put it in the farm directly east of it. It was also in the regular map area. (not sure what you are calling it)

I've also had exactly the same thing happen with the Companions as well. I have a dump file of that if you want it. :)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on December 8, 2009 at 12:55 am

That's because the options screen isn't done yet >:)

Well that would be a reason then. :)

Don't worry, we've already programmed this feature, and it will be available as soon as the options screen is done.

This is a system we're still playing with, and probably not teaching very well. To answer your question: troops only pick up food when they're within the food rings that surround cities and farms, and then only when the city has a surplus of food.

Yeah, this is an issue I am still having an issue with. But to be fair I may be doing something wrong and I just haven't figured it out yet. lol

Click on the star icon to the right of the compass, then click on a unit with skill points (they'll have a star to the right of their name in the lower panel).

Ah thank you! I guess I need to do more clicking around. :)

Don't worry, we're not offended. That's my voice in there, but personally I hope we end up re-recording the voice-overs before the game launches.

Actually I thought the voice was very masculine and sexy... Yeah... That's what I thought... :D

Thanks!

You're welcome!

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on December 11, 2009 at 2:22 am

Feedback
R16179
1.Graphics
*I appreciate being offered selections from Low to Highest for all graphics details.
*Even after lowering resolution to 1024x768, turning off shadows and turning down most details to medium the mouse is very laggy.
*I like the UI for the camera. Zooming, rotating, and moving is very flexible and intuitive.
*It’s cool being able to zoom from a world / country view all the way down to the unit view, very nice.

2.Things I like
*I like the ability to give orders while paused
*I like the option to capture or execute slaves
*I like the auto formations when selecting and moving units
*I like how moving units into city starts healing them immediately.

3.Hiccups / suggestions
*After my second save during the tutorial (just captured Pella), I lost mouse input. I could still move the cursor, but could not select anything.
*option to turn off autosave would be nice
*Since the game is in realtime, the option to adjust game speed would be nice. I tend to play these types of games at a slower speed.
*This type of game needs a skirmish mode. I really enjoy being able to setup custom battles with my own parameters as I suspect most people who play these types of games do. For replayability, I would find it boring having to fight the same scenarios / battles over again each time I start a new game (especially the early tutorial missions).

My System
Dell XPS 2 Laptop
Nvidia 6800 Ultra video
Using external monitor
2GB RAM
WIN XP

Posted on December 11, 2009 at 5:00 am

Thanks for your input! There's a few things I'd like to respond to:
Even after lowering resolution to 1024x768, turning off shadows and turning down most details to medium the mouse is very laggy.
You're actually our lowest-specced tester, and we're presently optimizing the game, so expect this to get better in future builds.

After my second save during the tutorial (just captured Pella), I lost mouse input. I could still move the cursor, but could not select anything.
This one is new to me, but I'll keep an eye out for it. If you're able to reproduce it, please let me know.

option to turn off autosave would be nice
There will be, when the options screen is done. If you don't want to wait until then, you can edit the "%APPDATA%\Longbow Digital Arts\Hegemony Philip of Macedon\Settings.xml" file with your favourite text editor and change the "NumAutoSaveSlots" to 0. (If you don't know where %APPDATA% is, just hold the Windows key and press R to open the "Run..." dialogue, and type "%APPDATA%" into that dialogue.)

Level 9 Human gamer
Posted on December 11, 2009 at 10:29 pm

R16179
Thanks for the reply Rick. So far a very enjoyable game. Having fun exploring new features that pop up the futher I get into the game.

Today I just experienced a game freeze. While in the process of capturing and building the mine at Mt. Barnous, the game froze. Ctrl-alt-delete did not work, had to power cycle to recover.

When I adjusted the game to 1024x768 resolution, after I exited the game it did not return my desktop to my default resolution of 1600x1200. The desktop was left at 1024x768.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on December 12, 2009 at 4:12 pm

BTW - if you want to help LDA find the location of a problem location (hey, there are hundreds of cities - no one remembers where every one is!).

Type ` (tilde key) to open the console, then type "debug on" and you can see the coordinates on the 3rd line (Map Pos). You can then report the specific X-Y coordinates of the problem (you can round to the nearest integer - structures are several units in size generally).

Don't play the game with it on - it tends to break stuff by changing the behavior of accessible commands - so turn it off using "debug off" for normal play.

Enjoy :)

--RC

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on December 12, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Oh, if you get a crash, when saving the dump file, LDA likes them without the memory dump...saves about 2GBs of data transfer :D

Pages 1 2