Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > How-To Record TM matches
Level 16 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 31, 2009 at 9:53 pm

Anyone still know how to do this?

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 1, 2009 at 12:16 am

the only way i have ever done this is to use a VCR and tape it, then import the taped matches from vcr to computer, then make a digital movie.

i think it was an aver media splitter... hook the video card up to it, then it has connections back to the monitor and one to a TV and/or VCR. this made the recording.

then i used a hollywood bridge from the vcr into my computer, to take the vcr recording and import it.

something like that... it was more of a proof of concept than anything else. it worked well enough the couple of times i tried it, like 5 years ago or so.

toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on June 1, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Check into tools used for machinima recording.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on June 1, 2009 at 8:01 pm

fraps. :)

granted, unregistered it limits you to 15 second clips...

Level 16 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on June 3, 2009 at 12:26 am

Is this what you are talking about RC?
[url]http://www.ejoystudio.com/index.htm</a>

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on June 3, 2009 at 8:28 pm

No clue :)

I don't do machinima, but I know people that do. I think he uses Fraps.

Level 14 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on June 16, 2009 at 2:55 pm

I use CamStudio for my videos. (although I have none posted for Tread Marks at present)

Edit: Due to a bug in this bulletin board, I almost triple-posted this. I quickly reverted the duplicates.

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Posted on June 25, 2009 at 3:28 am

fraps is pretty cool, just tried it out. though it does need a true windows computer to work properly.

since i am on a mac, parallels is the only vm that plays treadmarks. vmware does not support openGL, games or software, much to my surprise, and virtualbox won't play TM either. fraps worked in parallels, but did not record any sound while playing TM.

but on a true winXP pc, fraps worked great recording both sound and video fluidly at 1024x768, which was the resolution i choose to play TM in. it does not do any compression, so when i recorded a full 20 minute game, just to see what is what, fraps produced three 4GB files and one 1.5GB file for the 20 minute game. then using their suggestion of VirtualDub for compression, i appended the 4 segments together, and it produced one movie about 650MB in size at the same 1024x768 resolution. and the movie looked just like the game play.

just interesting is all.

toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on June 25, 2009 at 12:58 pm

We've used Fraps for some of our Hegemony captures, so I can heartily recommend it. For our higher quality captures, we use a Blackmagic Intensity capture card on a second computer, which is nice because you don't have to sacrifice your frame rate, but in most cases going the extra mile of using a capture card is more trouble than it's worth.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on June 25, 2009 at 9:04 pm

So speaking of Hegemony, how goes Hegemony?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on June 26, 2009 at 1:01 pm

It's coming along. We're probably a few weeks away from beta. I've been busy working on the new site lately, but that's almost done and I'll soon be able to start helping Rob with Hegemony again.

We've made a lot of strides in the last year, but things are always in so much flux during development that we've kind of been waiting for something more concrete before we start talking about the game again.