Skip navigation

Question regarding DEMO vs FULL version?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Question regarding DEMO vs FULL version?
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 22, 2008 at 8:10 pm

I purchased TM when it originally came out directly from LDA. Its been a long time since Ive played and re-downloaded the game from the LDA site today. I received a download key a while back so I am no longer using my original install disk and the patches. Anyways, the version I have says 1.6.2. DEMO. It seems like the full version though....I dont remember the difference. Any way to make it say full version at the top again?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on November 14, 2008 at 8:48 pm

Contact Rick via PM and give him the download key you got. I'm sure he can git you fixed up. ;)

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 18, 2008 at 11:56 am

When you go to our Download Centre, you should see a table which lists all of the demos we offer. Once you type your download key into the field and press 'Go', you should see a second table listed in the Download Purchases section, which should list Tread Marks. That's the one you want to download and install.

To avoid confusion, you might want to uninstall any version you currently have installed and delete any installers you've already downloaded first.

The difference between the demo and the full version is that you get more maps and tanks in the full version.

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on November 18, 2008 at 12:12 pm

Yeah the demo only had like 3 tanks and 3 maps as I recall.

Level 12 Human Tinker
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 25, 2008 at 9:40 pm

Yeah the demo only had like 3 tanks and 3 maps as I recall.

Depends on the version. I recall one demo that had a steel and a liquid tank and only a few maps, and then a different (and I think earlier) demo which had a bit more to work with. I think I had one demo download from Download.com and a few others from different shareware sites at the time.

I started playing some sort of beta / demo sometime in late 1999, if memory serves me correctly, and I remember that changes were somewhat frequent, many of which seemed to stem from Random Chaos' comments at that time in the old old BBS type forum. There was a nice amount of interaction between development and gamers at the time, and that is why the memory sticks with me.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 25, 2008 at 11:40 pm

1st Beta (1999): 2 maps (Ramp and Scarab), 2 tanks (both steel). Had varying numbers of weapons depending on the release.

Original Demo (2000): 3 maps (Ramp, Scarab, and Hell's Crossing), 2 or 3 tanks (can't remember if a liquid tank was added), all weapons except the nukes and shadow.

2nd beta (2001): This was a closed beta never released to the public. It was available only to owners of the full version. There are 20 people involved in that demo, 16 of which participated; most of whom are no longer part of the community. I think only Coax and Dudymas still play at all.

2nd Demo (2001): Never played it, not sure what was in it. Officially the demo for version 1.5.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 1, 2008 at 4:12 pm

RC: Original demo (2000)
had three tanks (Including Liquid falcon, Nemesis, and dreadnought) three maps as listed (Scarab, Ramp, Hels Crossing) and all weapons except nukes and shadow. It also had a glitch where if you added the weapon ents for the nuke/shadow, they would work as all resources for the weapons where there.

I know this, because I played the demo for well over a year before I could convince my mom to write a check to LDA to get the game. LOL I played the HELL out of that demo. Also released several mods I made while using it, including the landshark. :D

Dang I love this game. :)