Skip navigation

New Admin= Random Chaos

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > New Admin= Random Chaos
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 4, 2008 at 10:11 pm

I think it's time to pass the token. I am nominating RC (Random Chaos for it).

We need to have events going and posted with time. Thanks Kv for all your help. Please help to transition...

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 5, 2008 at 1:36 am

As I told Pablito in our PMs, the event schedule is kv's baby, so if there's going to be any changes in the administrative stuff there, then I'm putting the decision in his capable hands. I won't be paying any attention to this poll.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on September 5, 2008 at 8:22 pm

Sent another PM.

No one is questioning Kv's capability. Time has passed, few years actually, but it seems we need a new wave of motivation... Change is good you know ;)

Kv, please pass the administrative decisions to RC. He is willing and motivated! I'm sure you want to take a break as well....

Level 15 Human gamer
Posted on September 6, 2008 at 2:21 am

Let's standardize on the election for the Admin position. Let say that once a year anyone can run for the admin position. September would be a good month to elect a new admin since folks are back from vacation.

The reason you want to have the position be elected yearly is to allow change. One can fell trapped in being the admin knowing that there is no end in sight. I know, I felt that way.

Rick, I would recommend the yearly election. Let us know what you think.

Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on September 6, 2008 at 1:37 pm

new Admin :o

is one good idea 8)

vote yes :wink:

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on September 8, 2008 at 6:53 pm

*quack*

The post seems to have stalled with no new comments.

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on September 8, 2008 at 9:11 pm

Possibly like the last DDM; if it is ignored, it will just go away.

As I recall; 6Six6 was the last event keeper which he maintained admirably and KV has done a pretty good job but, seems like he's gotten tired or busy.

There hasn't even be a snort of derision which leaves me inclined to think either he doesn't know about this or, like the plea to remove the shadow from the game figure this thread will die like that one.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on September 12, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Let's standardize on the election for the Admin position. Let say that once a year anyone can run for the admin position. September would be a good month to elect a new admin since folks are back from vacation.

The reason you want to have the position be elected yearly is to allow change. One can fell trapped in being the admin knowing that there is no end in sight. I know, I felt that way.

Can't we at least set a date for re-election??

Posted on September 12, 2008 at 10:13 pm

Can't we at least set a date for re-election??

Uh, sorry guys, Rick rather pointedly stated earlier that KV is in charge and that he will defer to KV on the subject so you are Sheit outta lurk here. If KV chooses to stay silent, we are collectively screwed.

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on September 13, 2008 at 6:51 am

How about sharing administrative rights?

Posted on September 13, 2008 at 1:24 pm

How about sharing administrative rights?

Hey Ni,

It isn't like KV hasn't been on the board this week as per [url]http://www.ldagames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1609</a> and so, he must have seen this post but, as per Rick
As I told Pablito in our PMs, the event schedule is kv's baby, so if there's going to be any changes in the administrative stuff there, then I'm putting the decision in his capable hands. I won't be paying any attention to this poll.
So, I guess, an alternative would be to obtain consensus from the community; find a server and a victim willing to either handle updates or provide a way to update the TM server. My recollection is that Killier's monitoring package afforded something like that. Anyway start handling it off of LDA since we aren't getting anywhere here.
LDA has put their eggs in Hegemony, TreaMarks IMO won't be developed until the resurrection of because doing so would be, again IMO, a betrayal of Seamus' memory as TM is his baby. Continued provision of the Master Server, for an application that hasn't been updated since 2000, honors his memory and we are grateful but, beyond that we seem to be on our own.

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on September 13, 2008 at 2:35 pm

(History mode, for those too young to know, lol)

yah, TMLogScan did all that and more (well, except for uploading mod's, but that can be added easily, specially now that a working mod manager exists). When it was running on several TM servers, event notifications would go out to every server that and event was going to start.

Now that I am running a real appserver, the webservice backend can be rewritten to be better and more accurate.

But the problem was (and probably still is) that there were people felt it was to big brother-ish, since it showed who was on the server and maintained player stats and they thought it put me in control of all game servers. They made my life hell by flaming me with never ending PMs and boycotting servers that used TMLogScan. Since the number of players was already dwindling, and I couldn't be online without being harassed, I pulled the plug.

Posted on September 13, 2008 at 3:13 pm

(History mode, for those too young to know, lol)

yah, TMLogScan did all that and more (well, except for uploading mod's, but that can be added easily, specially now that a working mod manager exists). When it was running on several TM servers, event notifications would go out to every server that and event was going to start.

Now that I am running a real appserver, the webservice backend can be rewritten to be better and more accurate.

But the problem was (and probably still is) that there were people felt it was to big brother-ish, since it showed who was on the server and maintained player stats and they thought it put me in control of all game servers. They made my life hell by flaming me with never ending PMs and boycotting servers that used TMLogScan. Since the number of players was already dwindling, and I couldn't be online without being harassed, I pulled the plug.

Yeah, I didn't want to open that wound, Sorry KiLlEr. My bad. Still, I liked it and it kept BZP playing.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on September 13, 2008 at 8:30 pm

This is good news Killer!

*take a deep breath*

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on September 13, 2008 at 10:36 pm

Yeah, I didn't want to open that wound, Sorry KiLlEr. My bad. Still, I liked it and it kept BZP playing.

LOL, Tis but a flesh wound. ;) Don't worry about it its ancient history. I don't hold grudges as it is bad karma which does one no good.

It kept me playing as well, although it was on my servers and Dinochrome. :D

* KiLlEr watches Pabs turn blue and begin to pass out

Having fun there? :lol:

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on September 15, 2008 at 5:44 pm

I have been staying quiet on this, but I think I need to say something.

First, KV has been a very good administrator of the TM events the last couple years. However, it seems to be that these are becoming a burden in that the notices often come out only one or two days before, and often only after being reminded that it is an event week (I've done the reminding several times via ICQ and several times via the boards).

Second, Pablito approached me several weeks ago (shortly before this poll opened) with a question: Would I be willing to take over. I easily said yes. Since I coordinated the earliest DDMs back in late 1999/early 2000, I have had experience running them.

So what do I propose? I don't necessarily think KV needs to give up his position, but I think he needs help getting the word out and making sure the maps get chosen in time. Toward that end, I have started thinking about setting up a Google Calendar for DDM tracking. With it's iCalendar format export, anyone with Sunbird, iCal, or another calendaring application will be able to subscribe, thus helping to get the word out. And those that don't will be able to view it online.

What are everyone's thoughts?

--RC

Posted on September 15, 2008 at 9:41 pm

:D

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful evil
Posted on September 19, 2008 at 12:15 pm

:D

Level 15 Human gamer
Posted on September 23, 2008 at 12:49 am

I still think that the position needs to go up for yearly election.

Hey, KV I do understand how you feel about now. No matter what you do, not everyone will be happy.

Well give it some thought.

Cya online.