Skip navigation

Particle Fire 2 won't run on ext. monitor

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > Particle Fire 2 won't run on ext. monitor
Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 1, 2008 at 5:38 pm

Particle Fire 2, though it works OK on my laptop's 1280 X 1024 screen, it won't work on my 1920 X 1200 monitor that I have plugged into my laptop. When it tries to run, the screen goes black for a few seconds then it's back to as if the screensaver isn't running. To be sure it wasn't just a corrupted file, I uninstalled both Particle Fire 1 & 2 using add/remove programs, deleted the then empty C:\Program Files\LDA Games and to be sure they were totally gone, ran a search for particle which found these files that didn't get deleted (all other results were clearly not associated with P.F. 1 or 2)
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\PARTICLE-FIRE1.EXE-3AED842D.pf
C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\PARTICLE-FIRE2.EXE-0121F5ED.pf
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Particle Fire 2.scr

I then downloaded fresh install files from http://www.ldagames.com/particlefire and ran them. As before, Particle Fire 2 works OK on my laptop's 1280 X 1024 screen, but won't work on my 1920 X 1200 monitor that I have plugged into my laptop. I tried fooling with the settings, making sure that Multi Monitor is checked and tried a few in the Screen Resolution pulldown as well, but that also did nothing.

This is dissapointing because it's one of my favorite screensavers. What can I do to get it to work in my external monitor? Even if it doesn't cover the entire screen, I just want it to work to some extent.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 1, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Hi Cloudchaser,

Particle Fire currently has some growing pains on newer versions of Windows, so until we get around to updating Particle Fire, here's a checklist to make sure things go smoothly:

1) Completely uninstall everything, including deleting any stray files.
2) Do not install both versions of Particle Fire; they conflict with each other on newer version of Windows.
3) When installing PF2 on Windows Vista, make sure you run the installer as an Administrator. You can do this by right-clicking on the installer and choosing Run as Administrator .
4) In the settings, don't choose any desktop resolution other than the default Desktop Resolution ; any of the explicit resolutions may crash Particle Fire.

If that doesn't help, get back to me and I'll try to do some more detective work.

Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 2, 2008 at 8:46 am

Just wanna tell ya I did get your message and I than you for it, will reply sometime Friday night. I'd try what you reccommend and reply right now, but I'm too tired (I work a night job)