Skip navigation

Net Rate

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Net Rate
Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 7, 2008 at 2:04 am

Hi,

I hear about adjusting your net rate in TreadMarks but I am not sure what it means.

Could anyone enlighten me on the subject?

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on March 7, 2008 at 12:52 pm

Net rate is set on the game's general options screen.
For dedicated servers, you can find it in the dedicated config file.

It controls the amount of data TM sends (sever side) or accepts (client side) in bytes per second. TM will use the smaller of the two netrates when connected to a client (the player's netrate vs. the servers netrate). Therefore it is possible that each client connected to the server has a different net rate.

Remember: The sum of the netrates of all the connected clients must not exceed the servers upstream bandwidth, otherwise its lagsville.

Related to this is the DedicatedFPS setting in the server's dedicated config file. This controls the number of updates per second to send to each client.
If this is set too low, the clients will perceive lag, but whats actually happening is the client calculates the position of everything on the map, then gets an update from the server which basically says, actually the tank made a left turn , and the player sees the other tank (or projectile, of him/her self) teleport. This is especially bad for the player since his/her tanks position and direction is overridden by the server, which causes the player's tank to do a cha-cha. Particularly when there are alot of players on. If you set it too high you can flood the players connection with updates, but since its capped by the netrate not everything gets updated when it should.

Hmmm.

Posting-Vu: The feeling you get when you post something you sware you posted before. :lol:

Posted on March 7, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Hmmm.

Posting-Vu: The feeling you get when you post something you sware you posted before. :lol:

I'll bet you did but in the original forum which is useless as the content is old enough now that it is hard to search it.

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on March 7, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Yeah, that could be slightly problematic. :wink:

Posted on March 7, 2008 at 3:06 pm

I just confirmed that the search CGI on the archived folder makes a nice pretty white page.

I felt like I was having a Microsoft Knowledge Base alzheimer moment.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on March 9, 2008 at 12:38 am

You can always use google's site:asdasd option to search the old forum. I've done that before :)