Skip navigation

Buying a computer

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > Buying a computer
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on February 11, 2008 at 1:04 pm

Well I am buying a laptop (for school mainly, but also gaming, the way I figure buying a gaming laptop is just fine as it can preform all the school related functions that I want.)

I would like to know if the wiser members of this forum have any suggestions as to where to get my hardware and what to get.

I think my ABSOLUTE maximum is 1200$. The preferable is about 900$.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 11, 2008 at 2:08 pm

Gameing laptops are expensive. You would be hard pressed to find a good one for $1200.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on February 11, 2008 at 5:27 pm

Well, it's not like I wanna go out and buy Crysis or anything like that. I just want something that handles games at lower graphics settings etc. But something I do not want is an office laptop with a miserable graphics accelerator. Something like Alien ware's cheapest 900$ laptop perfectly fits my plans. Because the main function is school, so processor speed and RAM are my main concerns, screen size and GFX cards are second. I see some pretty fast Laptops out there these days for a decent price.

Rick, if you have any decent computers that come to mind please share them. Also I need something that can play games not necessarily a high end supergaming machine. Say run Star Wars battlefront II at highest settings or something like that. And I know that means I need a certain kind of GFX card.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 12, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Well, we've bought a couple gaming laptops, a Dell XPS and a Toshiba Satellite X200, and we've been pretty happy with both, but they're out of your price range.

Looking over at NCIX (my favourite online computer store), there's an Acer computer which is just barely within your budget, but offers a surprising amount of power. The screen isn't huge, but it's got a good CPU and GPU, and tonnes of RAM. It's also pretty light; put that together with the fact that it's small (the corollary to having a small screen) and it means you won't hate lugging it around to school.

I don't have any experience with it, though, so you might want to search out some reviews.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on February 14, 2008 at 12:13 pm

It seems to have good reviews, although the small screen could be a problem, not a huge one though. It is definitely under consideration for a comp to buy.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on February 22, 2008 at 11:09 pm

My apologies on the double post... but i have my computer! Not yet I will have it tomorrow though...just getting some optimization done. I went with a Toshiba Satellite.

It packs

AMD Athlon 64 X2 TL-60 processor 1.88ghz per core

2 GB DDR2 RAM

15.4 Display with built in 1.3 webcam and mic.

Also a rather modest ATI Radeon x1300 graphics card. Nothing extreme, with my warranty and other things. It came out about 878$ and that leaves me a happy camper. I got what I needed instead of what I wanted. A good thing in this case.