Skip navigation

TM reseting resolution somtimes

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > TM reseting resolution somtimes
Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 3, 2008 at 7:51 pm

Rick,

I'm using non-standard resolutions, but TM is resetting those resolutions if I change the size of my viewport. I'm having to use Killer's Screen Size app every time I start because my screen size changes almost every time. However, the previous size is usable, but TM resets to 640x480 because it doesn't match the windows resolution. I'm running TM through a VM that dynamically sets and reads the resolution of Windows, thus allowing for any resolution I desire for the game.

What I am wondering is if there is a way to state force for the resolution, to get TM to ignore checking with the video card if the resolution is valid?

Thanks!

--RC

Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on February 3, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Depends of type Card yes is good or yes Works Well

customized the Resolution of Windows and After the of Tread Marks yes Works

my Card is NVIDIA and Works well

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on February 5, 2008 at 12:02 am

You don't understand Mario. My resolution in Windows is dynamically changed. TM keeps resetting my custom resolutions when they don't match my current Windows resolution.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on February 5, 2008 at 3:49 am

Hmm, well, it shouldn't reset your resolution unless it's actually unable to use that resolution.

I'm not sure I completely understand your scenario, though, because I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. Here's what I tried:
[list=1:02f3279705]* Set the Tread Marks resolution to 1680x1050
* Start Tread Marks, check that the resolution is right, and then quit.
* Change the Windows resolution to 1024x768, mimicking what your VM does when it changes the Windows resolution.
* Start Tread Marks again, and check that the resolution is still correct.
(Note: It also works when steps 2 and 4 just involve alt-tabbing away and back, respectively.)

Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on February 5, 2008 at 8:23 am

I leave my resolution As Wine in Manufactures

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on February 6, 2008 at 7:42 am

Rick,

What I'm doing is setting my resolution to my current Windows size. Since Windows is windowized normally when I play, it's whatever I dragged the size to...Parallels dynamically resizes the window completely.

Currently, I'd play 1638x980 (I just pulled this from Killer's app).

Tomorrow I might have dragged it slightly differently and it would be 1635x982, which TM would say that my 1638x980 is wrong and resize me back to 640x480, even though the VM would automatically change my size to 1638x980 without issue.

What I'm looking for is a way to override it.

I am thinking I might be able to get around it by adding some forced resolution settings to the VM in addition to the dynamic ones. TM might realize then it's a valid resolution? Thoughts?

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on February 6, 2008 at 7:48 am

Rick,

Ok, by adding a custom resolution to the display driver, I was able to get TM to stick with the resolution I want and resize my viewport properly.

So I guess the issue is solved :)

--RC

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on February 6, 2008 at 5:57 pm

Just out of curiosity:
1. Which host OS
2. VM application (VMWare, Xen or..)

Thans!

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on February 6, 2008 at 8:03 pm

Host os is Mac OSX Leopard
VM is Parallels Desktop 3.0

Because of the strong integration between the guest OS and the OSX windowing system, Windows is treated basically like a normal resizable window, thus giving windows an unlimited number of resolutions but no official resolutions unless I went in and set them manually through Parallels.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on February 6, 2008 at 8:40 pm

For posterity sake, running (TM on Parallels) + (DVD + Firefox + a number of other apps on Mac) I was drawing about 1/8th my total CPU power. Play was flawless. Resolution I was running was 1640x980.

System specs:
CPU: 2 2.8GHz Quad Core Xeon 5400 series processors

Video Card: 1 ATI Radeon HD 2600 (planning to add a geForce 8800GT in a month; it's already on order, but isn't shipping yet; dang EFI boards; then I will be driving all 3 monitors)

Memory: 2GBs DDR2 PC6400 Fully Buffered DIMMS (adding 8GBs more tomorrow)

HDD: 1 320GB HDD (Mac boot); 1 750GB HDD (Mac data); 1 500GB (Windows); 1 400GB (Firewire backup drive)

Monitors: 2 Samsung 940BX; 1 Samsung 225BW

Posted on February 8, 2008 at 3:32 pm

So the host OS is Mac? Or... Don't know how Mac's do with extended RAM but Win has issues over over 4GB (really over 2GB, back fill issues) with anything that isn't a proprietery kernel.

Posted on February 8, 2008 at 11:22 pm

The 4GB problem on Windows is because it's a 32-bit OS. If you buy the 64-bit version then you don't have any problems.

To my knowledge, all versions of Leopard come with 64-bit support, and unlike Windows, they even have backwards compatibility for 32-bit drivers.

Posted on February 9, 2008 at 1:40 am

The 4GB problem on Windows is because it's a 32-bit OS. If you buy the 64-bit version then you don't have any problems.

That isn't consistently true but, at this point, it is only heresay from me as I have only had word of mouth grousing from IT managers having to support it in bleeding edge shops that had users force the change on them.

Posted on February 9, 2008 at 5:32 am

Fair enough, there's other problems with 64-bit Windows, but the 4GB memory limit (actually about 3GB, see here for a more technical description) is purely a limit of 32-bit numbers.

I'm currently running 64-bit Vista on my home machine and my primary work machine, and they're running 3GB and 4GB, with absolutely no missing memory. In fact, it was a rocky start, but I don't really have any trouble with any modern software on 64-bit Vista anymore, with the notable exception of GameTap. Ever since Apple fixed the iTunes problem last month, it seems like GameTap is the last holdout.

Legacy software is still affected, though. Microsoft dropped 16-bit support, and there's no 32-bit driver support, which will affect you if you have some old hardware, or some old games that used drivers for their copy protection. (I'm looking at you, StarForce.) If this applies to you, you'll have to resort to emulation, and you'll probably want to put off upgrading for as long as possible.

If you do have any missing memory, make sure your motherboard supports the amount you're trying to use. I've also read that some motherboards require you to set a BIOS setting to use all of your memory.

Oh, and just so it doesn't sound like I actually like Microsoft here (perish the thought :)) I still find other parts of Vista frustrating, and I am ideologically opposed to the signed-driver requirement on 64-bit Windows.

Posted on February 9, 2008 at 12:59 pm

My first foray with 64bit Windows was from the server standpoint where you would expect a big payoff for server based applications; what I found was, the OS itself was missing 64bit version of core functionality like database connectivity.
I was called in to look at a system that was responding erratically with respect to database connectivity. What I found was two instances ODBC running in both 32bit and 64bit modes but, the code was the same 32bit driver running in both memory spaces. To add insult to injury, the OS would switch between modes across the same database connection and broke the application interaction layer everywhere.
I haven't had to deal with this particular type of issue lately with the Vista miasma so, I don't know if MS has optimized database connectivity objects for the 64bit OS or bothered to provide a bridging interconnect for 32/64bit connectivity.
I remember that FX32 provided that bridge for Alpha based processors but MS doesn't seem to be interested in interoperability even with its own software.
I'm going to bow to your hands on experience with 64bit Vista; all of my experience with 64bit it has been from the f@ck, it doesn't work, post installation, please get my business process back up and running standpoint. Hence, a business case bias and troubleshooter leaning.

Catch phrase for the day, If it aint broke, Microsoft can fix that!

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on February 9, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Well, with 6GBs of memory working (and another 4GBs not right now, due to a faulty memory riser that I should have a replacement in hand sometime next week), Windows reports 2GBs.

Mac works fine with up to at least 32GBs. The MOBO chipset supports to 128GBs, but no one makes larger than 4GB dimms yet...so getting more than 32GBs is impossible.

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on February 9, 2008 at 6:42 pm

I use XP64 on my studio machine with 8gbs of ram installed (my machine is a server board that can handle up to 16gbs). All 8 gb is reported, and I have not had any problems. The soft-synths eat up ram like crazy (all those multi samples take their toll). Drivers are not a problem as all my hardware has em (MOTU is fast when it comes to updating drivers), and Sonar has been 64 bit for 3 years now.

If you're running a 64 bit OS, then your mobo's bios may not be able to handle more than 2gbs.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on February 10, 2008 at 12:57 am

I'm running 32bit XP on this system. 64bit XP isn't supported by Boot Camp drivers. Vista is (though 64bit was a surprise on the DVD...supposedly Boot Camp only supports 32bit Vista, until the latest driver bundle that had 64-bit drivers in it). Since I want to avoid Vista, it's 32bit XP required.

--RC