Pages 1 2
Level 12 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on January 13, 2008 at 1:53 pm

That is true is hard :cry:

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on January 13, 2008 at 4:26 pm

problems I would face with making such a tank: no elevation control, you would only be able to use main weapon, trying to make it so it can move and turn and stuff

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on January 13, 2008 at 10:33 pm

LOL been there done that :D

I made an AH-64 apache tank a while ago, useless as a tank so its just a novelty. But the discovery I made, allowed me to make a more realistic hover tank.

apache is here:
http://www.omnilinkavstudios.com/treadmarks/main.php?page=BJS/downloads_tanks.php&group=BJS&uid=&

The resulting tank is in my TeamCTF mod:
http://www.omnilinkavstudios.com/treadmarks/main.php?page=TCTF/tankdata.php&group=TCTF&uid=Sledgehammer&

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 14, 2008 at 4:57 pm

my plan was to give the tank 0 gravity and make it's tread trail thingy as small explosions that would push it along...but I m too lazy to do all that

Posted on January 14, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Thats almost what the afterburner mod does (without the zero gravity). Unfortunately once your treads leave the ground, you have zero control over direction.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on January 14, 2008 at 7:19 pm

if you watch your tank closely...yes my tank would have limited turning ability, but if you turn the outside tread is the only tread having any form of dust coming from it

Posted on January 14, 2008 at 7:33 pm

actually, the tread is not what the game uses. :)

The game generates 4 contact points based on the max width and max length of your tank, and calculates torque based on the amount of force each of the four pads generate. If one pad touches the ground and the others are in the air, the tank will twist and pitch at the same time. If the either pair of side pads touch the ground, you move either forward or backward only with no ability to turn. If the back or front pair of pads touch the ground, you can move forward/backward and turn, but the forward/backward motion will also cause the tank to pitch in the opposite direction.

In other words, you must have all 4 pads on the ground to have full control without any pitching of the tank.

Hope that helps. ;)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on January 14, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Killer,
Is there a way to put the after burner in a different position of the tank...? per say on the side, front or even underneath it (and make it work??)
(or a turret for that matter)

(if that's possible, what stops a low gravity map (like moon) and tanks with afterburners in all locations to make them fly? :D

Posted on January 14, 2008 at 10:00 pm

You can place them practically anywhere. But the game doesn't have the appropriate physic models to make it work the way you expect. The tank twists and rolls in near random direction causing it to flop around. Especially if you tie the explosion to a fixed location on the tank, the tank will more or less simulate a deflating balloon in flight. :(

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on January 15, 2008 at 5:42 pm

Hmm...

One of your weapons (can't remember which one) opens up then shoots a projectile...

Is there a way to have an after burner with a turret at the same time (the turret would have a recoil of backward movement) that would make the trajectory more predictable?

Posted on January 15, 2008 at 10:27 pm

You could but that would just cancel out the other, or send you spinning like a top.

Too bad you can't make use of a flag (if it had a timed timed autodrop) since flags have speed modifiers. That would make an easy type of afterburner. :)

Oh and the mod you're talking about is the Robotech/Macross anime styled Missile pod. ;)

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on January 16, 2008 at 11:38 am

Yeah that does suck that we cannot make flags pick-able. That would be cool to have a flag that increases speed. Well...it is possible if I am not mistaken it just would not be a pick up item nor would it be limited in anyway. Which could be bad...

Level 12 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on January 19, 2008 at 11:32 am

Not more question of mod

Pages 1 2