Skip navigation

Fingle here...

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Fingle here...
Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on December 17, 2007 at 11:19 pm

By way of introduction, it's me, Fingle...

First off, apologies if I've been playing like a dope, a drone, an AI, and a newbie the past few weeks. I'm new to the server world after playing the game at work for a few years, strictly behind a firewall, and only against AI.

We (the family) finally obtained a machine at home that was not a six-plus-year (or older) laptop, and I've been able to poke around on the LDA, and other, servers.

Again, newbie, so sorry if I've been playing like a dolt. I have, apparently, lost all of my carefully-honed twitch-rate skills, earned by pouring a RIVER of quarters through an Asteroids arcade game or two Back In The Day, and I seem to have poor survival skills, an interest in seeing just how many times in a game <CAT> PABLITO can kill me, plus, I apparently live at The Last House On The Internet for DSL connectivity speeds... Combine these traits and you have Grade Triple-A Cannon Fodder.

My screen name should probably be Target , SHOOT ME , or maybe Red Shirt ... (That would be pretty damned funny!)

Please give advice freely. I was raised with four sisters, so can take abuse. I'm really good at ignoring pain, too. (grin!)

I'm in southern California, eleven miles or so north of The Happiest Place In Orange County. I'm a printer/singer/phone guy/stagehand, of all things, have a fourteen-year-old daughter who occasionally needs to get on the (currently only) computer NOW, plus, I have critters that wait 'til I'm online to have routine disasters/emergencies, so sometimes I have to get off the 'net with very little warning.

In the belief that the unexamined life is not worth living, you can see my various interests reflected in my Flickr.com account. ( fingle again...) or LiveJournal.com at, you guessed it, fingle . Do stop by and say hello.

Also, if you don't already, you should be reading a Tim Powers novel! He rocks utterly.

Oh, and Fingle was the first King of Ireland, and he was married to a woman much smarter than himself. She saved his behind in many old stories. It's the last part that gives me the screen-name. My wife is _brilliant_. And she knits like crazy when she's not working, hence the sheep flag for my stock tank. (It made her laugh! I love that!)

I'm just here for the carnage! I've got pretty much no attitude at all, as my sisters beat it to a pulp years ago. (Can anyone say middle child ?)

Howdy, everybody!

Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on December 17, 2007 at 11:25 pm

Merry Christmas Fingle :lol: :lol: :lol:

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 18, 2007 at 12:33 am

well I'm a noob myself....I'm not really qualified to give you advice, however, one problem I use to have was talk too much while playing which I wouldn't suggest

Level 11 Human gamer
Posted on December 18, 2007 at 12:37 pm

I have improved my skills playing in a short period of time in 2007 :lol:

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on December 19, 2007 at 3:04 pm

By way of introduction, it's me, Fingle...

First off, apologies if I've been playing like a dope, a drone, an AI, and a newbie the past few weeks. I'm new to the server world after playing the game at work for a few years, strictly behind a firewall, and only against AI.

Some of us were curious about your sudden appearance, yes. Welcome, Fingle! We are a merry band of ne'er-do-wells who continue to love this game long after its release. I am glad to see a new face around here.

Oh, and Fingle was the first King of Ireland, and he was married to a woman much smarter than himself. She saved his behind in many old stories. It's the last part that gives me the screen-name. My wife is _brilliant_. And she knits like crazy when she's not working, hence the sheep flag for my stock tank. (It made her laugh! I love that!)

Ah! This claim of yours I must contest. Naming a definitive first Rí na hÉireann would be a difficult task since our available primary sources differ on whom it was.

The Baile Chuind Chétchathaig text gives Tuathal Techtmar as the first Rí na hÉireann with a realistic claim to the title. There are others listed before him in other primary sources, but claiming a title and actually holding it in truth has been two different things in Irish history. From him the Uí Néill claim descent, through his own descendant Conn Cétchathach, or Conn of the Hundred Battles. One of my favourite monarchs of Éireann, Cormac mac Airt, is one of Conn's descendants.

The Book of Leinster , which used to be more nicely named the Lebar na Núachongbála , includes the Lebor Gabála Érenn , which is a more commonly referenced source for the genealogies of Éireann. It begins the regnal lists with the Fir Bolg tribes, then the Tuatha de Danaans, and then the Milesian Keltoi tribes. Of the Fir Bolg, Sláinge son of Dela, if memory serves me correctly, is listed as their first definite Ard Rí.

Both of those sources list a lot of monarchs that are semi-historical according to our best analyses. Irish history was oral for millenia. If you want the first definitive and uncontested rí hÉrenn uile (king of all of Ireland), is Máel Sechnaill mac Máele Ruanaid, of the clann Cholmáin. He was Ard Rí na hÉireann during part of the 9th century C.E. and died around 860 or 862 if I remember correctly. He is a descendant of the southern branch of the Uí Néill. The most famous, and one of the last, rí hÉrenn uile overthrew the Uí Néill dynasty in the south: Brian mac Cennétig, more well known as Brian Boraime or 'Brian Boru' to the illiterate Englanders.

After he died, it all drowned in an English chamber pot thanks to Cromwell, Elisabeth I, and their ill-favoured buddies until Mick Collins had the golden opportunity during World War 1 to give the finger to the Brits and win Éireann's independence.

selected references:

http://celt.ucc.ie/irllist.html
http://www.hastings.edu/academic/english/Kings/Baile_Chuinn.html
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/MS-OMIT/texts.htm
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/G100010A/text009.html
http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/G800011A/index.html

Ó Cróinín, Dáibhí. Early Medieval Ireland : 400 - 1200 London, 1995. ISBN 0582015650

Thurneysen, Rudolf. Baile Chuind Chétchathaig nach der Handschrift von Druim Snechta in Zu irischen Handschriften und Literaturdenkmälern . Berlin, 1912, pages 48-52.

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 22, 2007 at 5:08 pm

And I thought I was a walking tome of spurious facts, annectdotes and grandmother's recipes..

Welcome online Fingle.

The more the hairrier!

Level 11 Human gamer
Posted on December 22, 2007 at 5:32 pm

VTB played with fingle in Tread Marks :)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 23, 2007 at 11:31 am

Hi Fingle!
Thanks for coming to the Forum!, nice to see you playing as well... I should be on tonight (12/23/07) so bring your cape and sword... err I mean tank!

Hope you stay long...

I believe you and An Fear Glass would have much in common... I don't want to give it away but I think you're neighbors to the same Kingdom :)

CU LATER...

>P<

Level 11 Human gamer
Posted on January 3, 2008 at 8:47 pm

Now come to welcome him to fingle what rare :? :? :?

Level 11 Human gamer
Posted on January 5, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Greetings, all!

An Fear Glas, I bow to your superior knowledge! Mine was gleaned from a bunch of storytellers at a variety of folk festivals in southern California over the years, and you know what notorious liars they all are! (grin!) They usually tell the old stories of Fingle simply to demonstrate how a truly wise man always marries a wiser woman, and that fits me to a 'T'...

I've been offline for a couple of weeks due to a family disaster over the holidays. I lost one of my favorite sisters due to her husband's poor emergency response skills, and I had to take my 80-year-old mom up to northern Idaho to deal with arrangements. It was a sad holiday for our family. I missed Christmas, my wife's birthday and my kid's birthday all in one go, and things are just now becoming less sad, just in time for the rain to set in here in California.

Sunny days will be here again, though. They always come 'round eventually.

Peace, people! Except in-game, of course...

Level 11 Human gamer
Posted on January 5, 2008 at 5:23 pm

Peace, people! Except in-game, of course :P

In the game all day is always death :lol:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on January 7, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Sorry to hear about your sister F.
Sadly or we all must take that turn, a neutralizer or equalizer as some say.
Hope to see you around when things get better.

Level 11 Human gamer
Posted on January 7, 2008 at 7:49 pm

In that part has reason :?