Skip navigation

About the dafault values used

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > About the dafault values used
Pages 1 2
Level 12 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 26, 2007 at 11:28 pm

I'm curious.
There are obviously several settings that have default values that are used when you don't specify anything.
Some of those are covered in the various readme, some are not.
Example:
Armor = ? What is a strong armor and a weak?
Also, the readme is misleading: It say as fraction of damage to let through. But a low value makes the tank prety fragil. It looks more as fraction of damage to block
I can assume that mass default to 1.
Are there other defaults? What are they? What are ther values? What are they used for?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on November 27, 2007 at 9:27 pm

Are you referring to the value in the RaceTank ent? The armor rating does exactly what you'd expect, the higher value means that a tank has tougher armor. I utilized that when making the Ifrit and Juggernaut tanks... the Ifrit has super-weak armor, while the Juggernaut's pretty beefy. No matter the armor value, the health of the tank will still max out at 100, but the tank will take more or less damage depending on its armor.

Level 12 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on December 20, 2007 at 6:25 pm

hey are new in forum welcome Electro to LDA 8)

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on December 21, 2007 at 1:17 pm

Are you referring to the value in the RaceTank ent? The armor rating does exactly what you'd expect, the higher value means that a tank has tougher armor. I utilized that when making the Ifrit and Juggernaut tanks... the Ifrit has super-weak armor, while the Juggernaut's pretty beefy. No matter the armor value, the health of the tank will still max out at 100, but the tank will take more or less damage depending on its armor.
Sory about the late reply, lack of time. :cry:
High armor value = strong armor, low value = weak armor. OK.
In the racetank entity, when you don't set an armor value, what value is used? Does anybody know?

I used armor as a start point. I'd also like to know about other parameters that can be altered but are usualy let at the default values and don't apears in the various ent files and the readme.txt.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on December 21, 2007 at 5:56 pm

Sorry I see that the game this one quite well this well there is nothing bad wrong in the game what Passing with you :?

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on December 21, 2007 at 7:53 pm

There is nothing wrong, it's just that I like to tweak things a lot. :wink: If I was lacking time to come here, it's partly because I was playing it :D
Great game, lots of things to do, altering some maps, creating some of my own, looking at creating new tanks and weapons...

Anybody tryed to make those dual barrels tanks shoot dual shels?

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on December 21, 2007 at 8:40 pm

You need to talk to the creators of the game :arrow:

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 22, 2007 at 2:56 am

Electro it is not possible to get the Tankgun to fire two parallel rounds unfortunately. I forget who did this but someone doubled the sprite for the Tankgun and tweaked a few ENT files. Thus making the Tank appear to have dual launchers.

I figure if you have enough time you could make the Tank spawn a weapon that shoots two parallel rounds. It's really just getting everything to look right.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on December 22, 2007 at 9:13 am

Electro it is not possible to get the Tankgun to fire two parallel rounds unfortunately. I forget who did this but someone doubled the sprite for the Tankgun and tweaked a few ENT files. Thus making the Tank appear to have dual launchers.

I figure if you have enough time you could make the Tank spawn a weapon that shoots two parallel rounds. It's really just getting everything to look right.

Thank you. I was trying with entitychain without success.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on December 22, 2007 at 10:33 am

To modify some maps and tank Is not easy to be :?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 22, 2007 at 12:45 pm

mario it's really not all that hard just make sure you balance the mod

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on December 22, 2007 at 12:45 pm

Erm...yeah it is easy. ENT files are just text with value. All you have to do is read the 'Readme' files in each Entity folder and you know what to do. The rest is done by tweaking and screwing around with the game. Making complex weapons like the Das Tornado and whatnot takes some skill and patience.

The only real obstacle to modding is quirks in engine etc. Sometimes things will not work no matter what you do. Even when it should. I've done things like make a Machine Gun variant that is twice as big and the actual machine gun sized up as well. A similar thing happened when I tried to make my Saturn five rocket. I had to re-name the LWO file thus resulting in the bloody thing losing it's texture. And that is the part of modding that I cannot do at all...price of a complete and utter lack of patience.

And Mario, you should try some modding once you get the hang of it, it should become very simple.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 22, 2007 at 1:18 pm

Well, unless someone's figured something out a way to do it that I'm not aware of, it's actually impossible to get any weapon to fire multiple projectiles along parallel paths. The best you can do is give them a conical spread pattern, but that's it.

It's one of those unfortunate things that just isn't doable, no matter how much tweaking you try. Another such thing is getting projectiles to inherit direction from each other. So if you, say, wanted to have a missile that started out slow, then after a few seconds blew up and fired another missle along the same flight path you couldn't do it.

The best you can do is use spewers to enforce projectile direction, but there are two major restrictions:

- Spewers work in relation to the map, not the entity that called them. So if you've got a spewer that throws things straight up, that's all it's going to do. Even if it's called by a tank that's currently upside down, it's still going to shoot stuff straight up, relative to the map.

- You can only guarantee a shot to go in one of the six main directions (up, down, east, west, south, north). Otherwise the best you can do is arrange a spread in-between.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on December 22, 2007 at 2:11 pm

nice Dennis :twisted:

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on December 23, 2007 at 6:29 pm

You can actually fire projectiles in any direction (not just 6), it just requires a bit of math (see my SAM mod, which fires 3 carrier missiles at 120 degree intervals) using multiple spewers.

As far as multiple projectiles go, you can fire multiple projectiles along parallel paths using meshes, but the collision detection references the 0,0,0 coordinate of the mesh. So even though the objects fly parallel, the game uses the non-offset 0,0,0 coordinate to see if the projectile hits, which for slow moving projectiles that are non-guided will look like it has completely missed when it hits a target. The majority of the tanks in my TeamCTF use multiple projectiles, using that method. I've since found an easier method, but the problem with collision detection is the same.

If the source code is ever made available, I'll be sure to jump on it with a bunch of fixes/enhancements. 8)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on December 24, 2007 at 6:14 am

You can actually fire projectiles in any direction (not just 6), it just requires a bit of math (see my SAM mod, which fires 3 carrier missiles at 120 degree intervals) using multiple spewers.

I can't seem to locate your SAM mod to take a look at the ENTs (and I don't have TM installed on this computer anyway), but how'd you to do that? I always thought that the six direction thing was a limitation of SpewMin/SpewMax.

Or is it possible to change the orientation of the spewer itself so that it's still firing up , but it's tilted so that up is now off-kilter?

As far as multiple projectiles go, you can fire multiple projectiles along parallel paths using meshes, but the collision detection references the 0,0,0 coordinate of the mesh. So even though the objects fly parallel, the game uses the non-offset 0,0,0 coordinate to see if the projectile hits, which for slow moving projectiles that are non-guided will look like it has completely missed when it hits a target. The majority of the tanks in my TeamCTF use multiple projectiles, using that method. I've since found an easier method, but the problem with collision detection is the same.

When you say do it with meshes , do you mean that you're just making a single mesh that looks like multiple projectiles, then assigning that to the projectile ent? If so, that's still not individual, multiple projectiles. It's pretty much the same solution as giving the projectile a sprite that looks like multiple projectiles. The only benefit to the mesh implementation is that it'll at least look right when viewed from any angle.

If the source code is ever made available, I'll be sure to jump on it with a bunch of fixes/enhancements. 8)[/quote]

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on December 24, 2007 at 8:04 am

Vlad: http://treadmarks.omnilinkavstudios.com/

Click on Downloads, then Weapons. It's hiding about half way down the list.

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on December 24, 2007 at 11:31 am

Ah looks like I upped it to 6. LOL

The sam_uhohspew spewer is used to spawn 6 spewers, sam_uhohspew1 through sam_uhohspew6 with 0 velocity. Each of those spewer fires projectile. The min/max of each spewer is set to the same value, thereby allowing me to have the spewers spew the projectiles at 30 degree intervals.

You can calculate the velocity values, for 2d (assuming a calculator that calculates sin/cos with degrees not radians):

min/max X = cos(launch angle) * velocity
min/max Y = sin(launch angle) * velocity

There is also a 3d version of this calculation, but my mind is turning a blank at the moment.

As for the multiple projectiles, each projectile is a mesh and ent file. The ent files are chained together. Each ent file has a meshoffset to change the center of the mesh. The game's physics takes that offset into account, however the collision detection does not. Since meshoffset only works on meshs, you cannot use a sprite based ent.

meshoffset params:

meshoffset = x-offset, y-offset, z-offset

My harasser tank uses an older method, where I have a separate mesh for each missile modeled with a built in offset. It works exactly the same as using meshoffset , but needs more meshs. Each missile is an independent projectile, so it tracks targets at different rates and different velocities. This makes the missiles separate out when fired, and gives them a chance to go after multiple targets.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on January 3, 2008 at 4:17 pm

hey :P

Level 13 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 3, 2008 at 6:46 pm

Wow KiLlEr That Is Cool.

Pages 1 2