Skip navigation

After Seven Years; can't we ban the shadow?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > After Seven Years; can't we ban the shadow?
Pages 1 2 3
Level 12 Human Tinker
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 16, 2007 at 1:28 am

and keeps the target tank essentially immobile so they can't get out of range once it's been hit.

Honestly, I think the immobilisation is probably the part of that weapon that mislikes me the most.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on November 18, 2007 at 11:28 pm

It's been a while since I've fiddled with TM modding, but if I remember correctly, you can't set up per-weapon reactions to ammo boxes. Grabbable items just have modifiers for standard ammo, special ammo, and health, regardless of which weapon is being held.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing the Shadow disappear, but it could be tolerable with some modifications. Maybe keep the rate of fire the same, but lower the range and starting ammo? As is, it has a bunch of ammo, fires quickly, does a fair amount of damage, never misses, and keeps the target tank essentially immobile so they can't get out of range once it's been hit.

Yes Vlad, you know better & that's a good idea!

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 19, 2007 at 12:25 am

Too bad I can't adjust the poll to included less damage and less ammo.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on November 19, 2007 at 12:42 am

I do not think that

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on November 19, 2007 at 5:27 am

How about this idea on modifying the shadow: Reduce the chance to refire. Currently, it has a 66% chance to respew on a tank hit. With only a minor change, we could drop that to 33%, greatly reducing the effect of both superammos and fire and forget methodology.

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on November 19, 2007 at 8:29 am

:evil:

How about this idea, it's the LDA STOCK server. As far as I know, it's the only non-modded server running out there. It's the only one out there where someone can join up and play the game the way it was created.

Unfortunately, the randomizer is crap. I'm assuming there were quite a few people playing? It tends to flake out when too many people get killed too rapidly. Too many weapon spawns, gets messed up, odds end up favoring the rare weapons. I think it also happens when the server runs for too long, possibly the whole PC.

I'll ask that someone at LDA restart it.

Posted on November 19, 2007 at 12:56 pm

The only modification that I'm looking for is adjusting the weight to 0. That doesn't require anything other than adjusting one ent file and will not affect or require a stock installation of TreadMarks 1.6 to be modified on the client side.
Most of the regular players waste the shadow out of repsect for others and game play in general and this is my point, while it's great to see newer players and we welcome them, the shadow does not bring anything to game for the majority of those playing.

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on November 19, 2007 at 11:32 pm

Unfortunately, the randomizer is crap. I'm assuming there were quite a few people playing? It tends to flake out when too many people get killed too rapidly. Too many weapon spawns, gets messed up, odds end up favoring the rare weapons. I think it also happens when the server runs for too long, possibly the whole PC.

Huh. I did not know it worked that way. Interesting. Thank you for posting that! It makes it easier when we know what is going on.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on November 20, 2007 at 1:59 am

The technical explanation may be a little off as far as TM is concerned, but i've run this by killer in the past and he has agreed with the statement.

A buggy randomizer is also why we get 5 nukes in 10 seconds during clan wars.

Many players + many spawns = a nuke nuke nuke nuke nuke has arrived.

Same case, different weapon.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on November 20, 2007 at 5:26 am

The randomizer that TM uses is the built in Microsoft randomizer. That randomizer's been in the news recently, specifically in relation to how it not being random is causing questions about the true security of internet cryptographic keys.

See: http://isc.sans.org/diary.html?storyid=3657

Posted on November 20, 2007 at 10:28 am

class = weapon
type = WonkeyGun

mesh = weapons/WonkeyGun/WonkeyGunHigh.lwo
mesh1 = weapons/WonkeyGun/WonkeyGunMed.lwo
mesh2 = weapons/WonkeyGun/WonkeyGunLow.lwo
texture = textures/BlackShinyEvil.bmp
sizebias = -1

projectile = Wonk

ammo = 40

bolton = 1

#lockon = 0

reloadtime = 0.3

launchangle = 0, 0, 0
launchcoords = 0, 0.42, 1.52
#where projectile comes from

weight = 0

Name = Shadow Keeper

pickupsound = IAmDeath
spawnsound = Shadow

envlight = 1
envmode = texture
smoothshade = 1
solidlight = 1

TransmuteTexture = 1

TransmutePerturb = 0.5

Posted on November 20, 2007 at 10:28 am

It's that simple

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on November 20, 2007 at 10:48 am

It's not happening.

Posted on November 20, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Benign neglect would have been the better option.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on November 20, 2007 at 6:58 pm

I've tried that, it wasn't working.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on November 20, 2007 at 11:46 pm

The best thing about the shadow is when you waste it next to a monument... prutty colours :idea:

Kv won't get the point unless he plays LDA server for a few days...

The only option to me is to have another server with the ACTIVE players' desires/settings and new tools to block those whom have nothing to do but pretend they're bad .

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on November 21, 2007 at 2:39 am

Kv does get the point. The only servers he can touch is the community servers. The LDA server is strictly hands off, as per LDA. If you have an issue with the LDA server, Kv is not the person to complain to. All he can do is forward on your requests to LDA, and LDA's decision has been and always will be no, the shadow stays as is on the LDA server. That much has been made clear to me, Kv, and 666 over the past few years.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on November 21, 2007 at 2:50 am

Ok, I figured someone would attack me for that...

This topic pops up every few months, someone whines about some perceived unfairness and wants to MODify the LDA STOCK server. It gets pointed out that this is a stock server (usually the only one like it running) and therefore shouldn't be modded, and then the thread eventually dies.

This one was refusing to die.

And this one wasn't even my call, i'm just the messenger here...

EDIT: ah, thanks killer.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on November 21, 2007 at 3:05 am

Oops, forgot...

The server PC has been restarted, so the randomizer should be working better (for awhile at least). Rick said that it was probably overdue for a restart too.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on November 21, 2007 at 7:57 am

Ok, I figured someone would attack me for that...

This topic pops up every few months, someone whines about some perceived unfairness and wants to MODify the LDA STOCK server. It gets pointed out that this is a stock server (usually the only one like it running) and therefore shouldn't be modded, and then the thread eventually dies.

This one was refusing to die.

And this one wasn't even my call, i'm just the messenger here...

EDIT: ah, thanks killer.

whining is such a strong word...

but you're right, stock is stock. Frustrations of loyal players result in these topics, we wish the best though (because we play it so much). I wish TM was in java and I could play it on my ipod... (i'm not whining ;) and i don't have an ipod either.

Kv and Killer should go to the LDA server and get a little reminder of the game though :twisted: I'm happy to see rc, 666, sonic, pablo and many others still playing...

Pages 1 2 3