Skip navigation

Screen resolution and pixel scaling in DX-Ball 2: 20th Anniversary Edition

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Arcade Games > Screen resolution and pixel scaling in DX-Ball 2: 20th Anniversary Edition
Level 11 Human
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 5, 2018 at 7:25 pm

Could we get an option for this update to switch between screen modes? I prefer to play DX-Ball 2 in its original 4:3 ratio over a stretched out widescreen ratio. The stretching makes the balls and the boing ball look oval, which just seems contrary to the nature of the game. Also, the new pixel upscaling was definitely not my cup of tea, looking way too coarse compared to how this game looked on a CRT monitor back in the day. It also introduced flickering horizontal lines across the screen – possibly related to DPI scaling?

The legacy version of DX-Ball 2 looks approximately like this on my 1920x1080 screen. Although it runs at a 640x480 resolution, my laptop's display upscales the picture pretty well. I think the original graphics are best preserved in this way, so I would like to see an option in the Steam release to retain a screen mode like this.

Level 5 Human
Alignment: Good
Posted on November 8, 2018 at 11:20 pm

I also found the new upscaling a bit unpleasing to look at. The best results I've gotten are from running the original version on a monitor that has built-in scaling, resulting in the game still covering up the entire screen but not looking distorted. I've also noticed the flickering is present in all of the casual games' current versions, but it's gone in the Rival Ball 1.5.8 beta. Hopefully LDA can implement the changes from there into all of the causal games :)

Level 14 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on January 20, 2019 at 6:46 am

I also found the new upscaling a bit unpleasing to look at. The best results I've gotten are from running the original version on a monitor that has built-in scaling, resulting in the game still covering up the entire screen but not looking distorted. I've also noticed the flickering is present in all of the casual games' current versions, but it's gone in the Rival Ball 1.5.8 beta. Hopefully LDA can implement the changes from there into all of the causal games :)

it was designed to be 4:3 not surprised BTW... what lda needs is a resolution switch in its controls. a texture pack option with the classic graphics pack option built in.

adding that could allow us to use actual graphics from DX Ball 1 which didn't have the proprietary nature of 2 and would not look like a crappy modern throwback which i hate ugly high resolution sloppy remakes of old graphics....that crap only works for kiddos who never played old stuff so they don't care. it looks old to them :D :D

Level 1 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on June 30, 2019 at 11:18 am

we are facing issue with the screen resolution too, can anyone provide the sol,
taxi service in jaipur

Level 14 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 24, 2019 at 9:39 am

we are facing issue with the screen resolution too, can anyone provide the sol,
taxi service in jaipur

we can if you refrain from spamming the forums with your taxi service