Skip navigation

Rival Ball Pausing and Minimizing on it's own.

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > Rival Ball Pausing and Minimizing on it's own.
Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 10, 2007 at 12:14 pm

Hello and thank you in advance for your time and help.

The problem I'm having is that when I am playing Rival Ball, Standard Game, about every 10-15 mins the game automatically pauses and minimizes itself to the taskbar.
However if I play Rival Ball in Windowed mode the game only Pauses and does not minimize. My keyboard is protected so I know I'm not accidently hitting any keys and I have pressed all 3 buttons and used the scroll wheel but they do nothing (unless I have the laser paddle) so I do not believe it to be any of the buttons on my mouse either.

On another note, I have just recently purchased and installed Rival Ball Series 1 but it was playing fine for about a week before this started. And I uninstalled and reinstalled Rival ball and this problem is still occuring.

Computer Info:
Installed Programs are DX-Ball 2 ver 1.2 and Rival Ball ver 1.5.5
Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 with Service Pack 2
Intel Pentium(R) 4, 2.80 GHz
384 MB Ram (Actually a little bit more but no actuall video card so some is devoted to the virtual video card.)
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller 6.14.10.4342 (Intel(R) Extreme Graphics)
DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

And last but non-important, while playing Rival Ball if you hit the F7 key to change from Fullscreen to Windowed or vice versa your paddle and all the bricks disappear. This isn't really a problem unless you can't decide how to play before you start. The game is still playable too, just tricky without seeing anything but the ball.

Level 13 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on October 10, 2007 at 6:06 pm

The problem I'm having is that when I am playing Rival Ball, Standard Game, about every 10-15 mins the game automatically pauses and minimizes itself to the taskbar.
However if I play Rival Ball in Windowed mode the game only Pauses and does not minimize. My keyboard is protected so I know I'm not accidently hitting any keys and I have pressed all 3 buttons and used the scroll wheel but they do nothing (unless I have the laser paddle) so I do not believe it to be any of the buttons on my mouse either.

You may have one or more processes stealing focus. Try closing all processes that steal focus.
And last but non-important, while playing Rival Ball if you hit the F7 key to change from Fullscreen to Windowed or vice versa your paddle and all the bricks disappear. This isn't really a problem unless you can't decide how to play before you start. The game is still playable too, just tricky without seeing anything but the ball.
Try hitting F1 a few times to fix that problem.

Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 10, 2007 at 8:44 pm

Thanks for the help ChallengeSpaceYard.
You're probably right about an application stealing focus still trying to figure out which one was doing it though. But the problem has stopped on it's own for the current time being.

Also F1 did work, but where's the fun in that? Rival Ball is much more fun an exciting when you can't see all the fancy graphics like your paddle and the bricks. :wink:

Level 13 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 11, 2007 at 11:22 pm

Close your web browser if it's running. Sometimes JavaScript and Flash cause your browser to suddenly say: FOCUS ON ME!

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on November 8, 2007 at 1:02 am

The advice from CSY and Random Chaos is very sound.

If the problem ever comes back, close all your programs (including any that are running in the system tray, near you clock) and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, you know that one of the programs you were running was stealing focus, and if it doesn't, get back to me and I can help you track down the problem.