Pages 1 2 3
Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: Good
Posted on October 5, 2007 at 9:47 pm

Rick for when it goes to be Hegemony fact: Philip of Macedon

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on October 5, 2007 at 10:06 pm

I'll save Rick some time, When it's done!

Level 11 Human gamer
Posted on October 5, 2007 at 11:13 pm

hello ckit much time :)

Level 14 Human wizard
Posted on October 6, 2007 at 5:55 pm

I missed it!

No definite release date. When LDA feels satisfied they got rid of most (if not all) bugs and have the features they need, they will release it.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on October 7, 2007 at 11:53 am

I missed it!

No definite release date. When LDA feels satisfied they got rid of most (if not all) bugs and have the features they need, they will release it.

CSY What do you think about the idea of LDA releasing it to the forums and allow us to bug fix it?

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on October 7, 2007 at 1:12 pm

Here is my two cents. If they release the beta to us, they have to make sure there is some sort of activation system so that in the event the beta leaks out of this forum (which it probably will somehow) that only the forum members can activate it and use it. Of course, I am guessing putting in an extra security system like that isn't exactly a walk in the park, but it will help. Heh... I am a bit interested in seeing how the game works on my AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+, nVidia GeForce 8600GT, 3GB DDR2 PC5300 ram, and 500GB SATA2.0 Hard Drive... :twisted:

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on October 8, 2007 at 9:23 am

I am a bit interested in seeing how the game works on my AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+, nVidia GeForce 8600GT, 3GB DDR2 PC5300 ram, and 500GB SATA2.0 Hard Drive... :twisted:

It will crash as its running vista :twisted:

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 8, 2007 at 6:15 pm

Even though I run Vista, I am sure the folks at LDA are diligently working on making the game Vista compatible. ^_^
In all actuality, all the hype about how Vista sucks or detrimental is blown out of proportion. I've used vista since the beginning of August now, and other than the occasional hiccup, there hasn't been any actual major incompatibilities... and my system works quite smoothly... but then again I got good hardware... maybe all the horror stories are from people trying to make Vista work on 512mb of ram... lol.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 9, 2007 at 12:15 am

According to what I've heard, MS has severely cripplewared OpenGL support by running it through MS interfaces before the commands can access the video card, creating a lag bottleneck at the processor for intensive games.

For example. someone I know online was mentioning that a friend of theirs has Vista and a nVidia 8800GT. One game they have runs both OpenGL and DirectX modes. OpenGL mode jittered at 1024x768 running at only 20FPS. DirectX mode ran at about 120FPS smoothly.

Makes you wonder how well all these OpenGL based games and applications, such as Maya, Lightwave, etc. really run on Vista. Given that those apps are cross-platform and their larger audiences are located on the Mac environment, I find it hard to see them wanting to develop a 2nd alternative line just for Windows to make their applications run smoother. Just when graphics designers were moving toward Windows, MS nails the door shut with yet another bad marketing driven choice.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 9, 2007 at 12:13 pm

Agreed. Even though I personally haven't had problems with OpenGL running on my system, I have heard of those stories too. But from my understanding, they intended to rebuild, or at least clean up, the driver model by introducing WGF (Windows Graphics Foundation) so they could basically clean up the entire codebase of DirectX 10 and make things go faster. On the contrary, they had to create DirectX 9Ex just so pre DX10 apps and games could work on Vista. I know for a fact that the way Vista draws on the screen is such that every application gets their own memory surface, so each application gets their own section of memory independent from other programs, instead of relying on the GDI+ interface of the past. Now my opinon is that even though I know they were probably trying to keep things moving forward and for the better, they probably became sloppy and didn't pay enough attention to OpenGL based programs. To my knowledge, Vista forces everything into their own memory surface to draw on, and perhaps that is where the bottleneck is. Reguardless, I will keep an eye on this problem if it comes up for me and try and figure out where the problem lies in.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on October 9, 2007 at 12:21 pm

Rick, your GMT clocks out, its 5:15 when i posted this not 4:15 anyway.
Jujaga, iv'e been hearing alot of bad reports about vista. One of my contacts installed it for Halo 2 and went back to Xp, also alot of gamer servays say Xp is better than Vista for games and finally vista has been rumoured to have already been cracked.
TBH the best version of windows ever is 1.0... though Dos was good. Microsoft do a Dos 8.0 so i can go back to games worth my time... pweeese?

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on October 9, 2007 at 1:12 pm

The funny thing is, the best OS from Microsoft was DOS, But Microsoft (a.k.a. Gates) did not write DOS.

geeeeee........ thats probably why DOS is the best OS from M$. LOL

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 9, 2007 at 6:08 pm

It's ironic how in this world, the best ideas are always stolen...

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on October 10, 2007 at 7:35 pm

Sorry I missed this thread.

Yes, Hegemony will be done when it's done. We won't release Hegemony until we're happy with it.

Hegemony will definitely be Vista compatible. The computers in our office currently have 2000, XP, Vista, and 64-bit Vista, so we'll test the game on all those systems.

Everyone who was in the compatibility test will be included in the beta test, when we start it. We've also taken some more names for beta testing at the Origins show. More news as it happens.

Hegemony is written in DirectX, so any problems with OpenGL don't really affect us. However, just to clear things up, while there were some definite problems with OpenGL when Vista came out, things seem to have cleared up. There's still some anecdotal incidents of bad performance, but most of the comprehensive studies I've read seem to show similar performance between OpenGL and DirectX nowadays. However, 3D graphics in general are slightly slower on Vista compared XP; this is the price we pay for a better (although not perfect) security model. If you don't trust me, trust John Carmack; Rage is going to use OpenGL on Windows. Personally, I'm eagerly awaiting the release of the OpenGL 3 API.

DOS was great at what it did, but it didn't do much. I would say that, while I appreciate that Microsoft is trying to take security seriously with Vista, Win2K is Microsoft's best OS to date (as long as you don't care about eye candy, and in the case of operating systems, I don't) although because of the better security model I think Vista will take its place given some time to work out the kinks (as long as you can turn a blind eye to performance; unlike other operating systems, Windows gets less efficient with each new version; meanwhile I can run the latest version of FreeBSD on my 200MHz Pentium!). I still don't think Windows is as good as OS X or Linux/Unix, but Windows has all the games, so what are you going to do? (Actually, I would like to do something. As a personal project, I'd like to see if I can port Hegemony to OS X and Linux once we release, but I'm not making any promises yet.)

The forum clock is fine as far as I can tell. Make sure you have your timezone set properly in your profile settings.

Did I cover everything? I think I covered everything.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 10, 2007 at 9:50 pm

The great Rick has spoken. *cheers* ^_^

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on October 11, 2007 at 11:42 am

Rick, i once had win2k, it was a good system, but 98 was ace, would still have it if it wasn't for Doom3 needing it, but i got Xp now, it works...ish.

Level 11 Human gamer
Posted on October 12, 2007 at 2:42 pm

Now Windows Vista is the new operating system this year that is more advanced that XP why tar while others believe Microsoft Windows and whether to move even more 8)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on October 12, 2007 at 6:05 pm

I personally believe that XP is the best operating system that Microsoft created, but I remain optimistic that as time goes on that Vista may lose it's initial bad reputation and actually shape up to be a decently good system.

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on October 12, 2007 at 6:07 pm

yeap, in good time, when people figure out all the workarounds, hacks, and patches.... Maybe it will turn into something that can pass for painfully livable.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on October 13, 2007 at 8:20 am

I personally believe that XP is the best operating system that Microsoft created, but I remain optimistic that as time goes on that Vista may lose it's initial bad reputation and actually shape up to be a decently good system.

Jujaga, this is the real world not your dreams. Just thought id let you know, I would have thought this was real, but my alter ego has a shotgun in this dream not her normal bow.

Pages 1 2 3