Skip navigation

A PAX Upon Thee!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > News > A PAX Upon Thee!
Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 30, 2007 at 12:02 am

We're back from the Penny Arcade Expo, and still recovering from the sheer abundance of majesty that is PAX. To say the least, it was a great experience. Of course, we got to witness demos from lots of unreleased games from Mass Effect to On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness (some playable, some not) and see some great nerd-rock bands like Jonathan Coulton, the Neskimos, and the Minibosses. We got to see some great panels from the likes of Ron Gilbert and Dave Grossman, and by all accounts, the keynote by Wil Wheaton was life altering, as was my experience of seeing Phoenix Wright, Miles Edgeworth, and Lana Skye playing Rock Band. I was also lucky enough to experience the greatest game of Jenga that has ever been played.

Oh yeah, and we were showing off Hegemony, too.

We're glad we've gone. Not only was it a fun experience, but we got to show Hegemony to a lot of people who hadn't heard of it, and it's always reaffirming to hear people tell us that we're taking the game in the right direction.

Thanks to everybody who stopped by our booth, and thanks to the guys at Penny Arcade for putting together (to paraphrase Tycho) the greatest con in the universe. We hope to see you again next year!

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on September 2, 2007 at 4:31 am

I saw something of Mass Effect on TV and thought it looked quite impressive!

Btw, Hegemony is an RTS right? Only I've only ever played one good Turn Based Strategy game, and it was none of the well knowen ones (Civ, Total War, ect) which I realy don't like.

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 2, 2007 at 8:40 am

I like to refer to Hegemony as an RTS Wargame.

Hegemony is a real time strategy game but not in the typical rock-scissors-paper-twitch build sense. With a map this large it would be too stressful to have to jump around frantically following all of your forces. So, although Hegemony runs in real time there is a lot of emphasis on being able to have full control of the game while it is paused.

I think this is more historically accurate as one hour of game-time equals one year, which should leave a general time to think, plot and lay down movement paths. Of course, the player can always play through the game without pausing for a more frantic experience.

Jim

Level 13 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on September 2, 2007 at 8:44 am

Will there be game speed controls allowing us to make an hour, say, 6 months if we want to slow it down for more accurate as we go modifications?

BTW, I am a master of the pause button in other RTS games as most of them move too fast for controlling without pausing.

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on September 2, 2007 at 8:57 am

We haven't finalized the speed controls yet. Beyond certain limits the animations start looking farcical, but half speed to double speed will probably be feasible.

I generally try to do a lot in paused mode in other RTS games, but too often find that the developer has disabled some of the controls, which I find an artificial penalty to gameplay.

I think of Hegemony as a real-time-paused game. :roll:

Jim

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on September 3, 2007 at 10:23 am

Sounds like a revolution! XD

I don't tend to pause RTS games, even when it suggests you do in the tutorial, however speed controls are very useful, get bored waiting? Speed it up! :P

What I don't like about games like Total War ones is that they are so boring to watch. When I play a game, I look forward to seeing new things, and having new power, which isn't very much fun when you're forced to watch it on a rubbishy little Isometric map, with occasional Battles, which I find often end up with my forces stupidly pushing a single enemy commander in different directions rather than stabbing him :/

And then there's the waiting for the other players to do their bits...