Skip navigation

Skype!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > Skype!
Pages 1 2
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on August 15, 2007 at 9:56 pm

www.skype.com

I've been using Skype for about a year now talking to people in another gaming community. And it seems to me it would really be cool if we used it here.

And my skype is a no brainer... Tank Target.

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on August 16, 2007 at 12:22 am

I think 4 IM's on my comp is enough! I'll wait and see how this turns out first

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 16, 2007 at 10:39 pm

Dennis, this is a free VOIP system. Meaning you speak, if this was a normal IM system I wouldn't have said anything. It would just be cool if we could talk here in the community whenever we go into a clan war or something. It is very useful for coordination.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 17, 2007 at 3:29 am

I don't have a mic atm

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 17, 2007 at 3:30 am

and due to some financial problems right now I can't afford one...

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on August 17, 2007 at 11:21 am

While Skype IMO isn't quite ready for prime time and this past week's outages back that up; I've found Skype to be a very economical way to userous analog telecommunications charges for long distance calls.
But, I need a system that works better than 85% of the time.
I subscribed to Skype-Out earlier this year for about $16.00 to get unlimited outbound dialing in the US and Canada. It paid for itself in one three hour conference call from the westcoast to the eastcoast.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 18, 2007 at 12:21 am

Well I am just suggesting we use it to talk. I use it all the time, in 10 man conferences with people and it beats TS into the ground... Skype is great for coordination...

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 18, 2007 at 7:18 am

Dennis, this is a free VOIP system. Meaning you speak, if this was a normal IM system I wouldn't have said anything. It would just be cool if we could talk here in the community whenever we go into a clan war or something. It is very useful for coordination.

Or just yelling how useless we are all doing :twisted:

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on August 19, 2007 at 7:03 am

Actualy yes, A vioce chat sytem would be brilliant for team games, I know many games have a team chat buttom...but while you're typing, you get shot!

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 19, 2007 at 9:41 am

Actualy yes, A vioce chat sytem would be brilliant for team games, I know many games have a team chat buttom...but while you're typing, you get shot!

2ndself , although this is true a few games are doing push to talk cominication. From what i hear this includes CSS.I will look into this and see if its possible to do.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 19, 2007 at 10:36 pm

Really, I just wanted to talk with some of the people from the community. So yeah, somebody get skype so I ain't all lonely...

Posted on August 21, 2007 at 6:46 am

Hey TT, you do realize you can talk using a Microphone via MSN for free?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 21, 2007 at 9:04 pm

Yes and the quality is utter rubbish compared to skype (which is free btw) They have a free DL on their for skype, the comp to comp version not the comp to phone mind you...

Also skype is easier to use and you can have 10 man conferences and whatnot. Besides it has a better IM than MSN anyways....

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on August 22, 2007 at 1:38 am

But I don't trust Skype with it's ability to stay online... recently Skype crashed completely and was down for at least a day or two... rumor has it that they were hacked by russians, so I am remaining skeptical about Skype. Of course, the MSN or Yahoo voip solutions may work, I know they don't have very good audio quality, since they only use a very low bandwidth for audio transfers. In reality though, do you need quality, or do you just need something that you can hear the other person talking about? (Practicality)

Posted on August 22, 2007 at 4:45 am

Two people were whispering kill through my speakers a couple o' days ago o_o...I could hear them fine.

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on August 22, 2007 at 12:10 pm

My point exactly. ^_^

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 23, 2007 at 6:29 am

Two people were whispering kill through my speakers a couple o' days ago o_o...I could hear them fine.

sure that wasn't in your mind? :twisted:

Posted on August 23, 2007 at 6:41 pm

I don't have the telepathic edition of MSN yet...It's stuck on my HardDrive while I wait for my USB implant chip to arive :D

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 23, 2007 at 7:27 pm

Skype is just fine, it was only ever down just recently. I have been using it nonstop for a year guys... it's fine. All I ask is someone try it. MSN never works for me. It hates my mics and speakers. Yahoo also doesn't pick anything up. Teamspeak is garbage. And I have no idea about AOL or whatever as I have no idea if they even have a VOIP built in. But someone wanna give Skype a shot?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on August 24, 2007 at 5:08 am

I don't have the telepathic edition of MSN yet...It's stuck on my HardDrive while I wait for my USB implant chip to arive :D

Sorry 2ndself ,I blew up the delivery truck it was in :twisted:

@Tank Target
I would test it but 1 i don't have a mic on me (sister nicked it) and 2, you have to pay for VOIP calls to other countrys. i think.

Pages 1 2