Skip navigation

New version of Tread Marks

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > New version of Tread Marks
Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 9:24 pm

Hey guys, I've uploaded the new Vista-compatible versions of all of our games. I haven't made a news post about it yet, but I'm working on it.

While I'm working on that, I thought I'd let you know that I opened up a couple other directory locations where you can install your mods; this will particularly make things easier for Vista users. Here's the documentation I added on the topic (now located in the config.cfg file):
[code:1:eb9612000a]
#If you are unable to write to the Program Files directory (which is the default in Windows Vista),
#you can also save this file in <AppData>\Tread Marks\config.cfg or
# <CommonAppData>\Tread Marks\config.cfg .
#The location of <AppData> and <CommonAppData> differs depending on which version of Windows you have.
#Typical values are&#58;
#
#Windows XP&#58;
#<AppData> = C&#58;\Documents and Settings\<your user name>\Application Data
#<CommonAppData> = C&#58;\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
#
#Vista&#58;
#<AppData> = C&#58;\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming
#<CommonAppData> = C&#58;\ProgramData
#
#Incidentally, you can also install mods into <AppData>\Tread Marks\AddOns or
# <CommonAppData>\Tread Marks\AddOns .
[/code:1:eb9612000a]

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on May 29, 2007 at 9:07 pm

Will this be available as a patch for those of us using 1.5 CD's plus patch or do we need to wait for TM2 to come out and buy a new version?

Posted on May 29, 2007 at 9:19 pm

We've pretty much given up on patches, and prefer to have people simply download the latest version from the Download Centre. If you have an old CD copy, it may not even install properly on Vista. (Old meaning anything shipped out before today.)

If you've lost your download key we can look it up for you, and if you bought the CD from a store, just email me and I'll work something out to get you a key.

Posted on May 29, 2007 at 11:34 pm

I have installed it, it's the addons that are problematic but Kilier wrote something that I plan on trying, sooner than I want to so that I can give him feed back.

Clarification, I have installed on Windows Home Basic with the GUI smartened back to usable (sort of).

Posted on May 29, 2007 at 11:37 pm

PS, where do we send investment funds in hopes of TM2 post Hegemony?

Posted on May 30, 2007 at 2:09 am

Heh, well, we have a lot of ideas for our next project but unfortunately Tread Marks 2 looks pretty unlikely at this point.

We'll see though. There will likely be some Tread Marks news after Hegemony is released.

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 30, 2007 at 3:08 am

how does this new version affect internet play?
can v1.6.1 clients play on v1.6.0 servers and vice versa?

Posted on May 30, 2007 at 10:59 am

Well, it doesn't hurt to prod, this is the most heavily posted game of the LDA forum.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 30, 2007 at 1:54 pm

I'm glad that TM runs on vista... I have seen vista but haven't upgraded yet... XP seems fine for now... I don't believe in using the same machine for different OS's... too many complications in the long run... new machine & new OS... Not new OS in old pc (even if it meets requirements) I'm sure MS has a special error log waiting for me for incompatible BIOS' chips... or something alike...

Congrats on the patch Rick and attempts to organize MODS better...!

I've tried Killer's utilities as well, they seem simple enough ;)

I still think an automatic TEMP folder for Addons work better :P (no download required, played partially-SSO and from TEMP folder for future references). The only thing would be selecting it for single player.... the game interface would have to refresh the list of Addons (i'm not a programmer so...)

Good luck with Hegemony, cant' wait to play it.

Posted on May 30, 2007 at 5:52 pm

how does this new version affect internet play?
can v1.6.1 clients play on v1.6.0 servers and vice versa?

It doesn't affect internet play at all, except that it's a little speedier when finding the master server. The only changes are:
* New folder locations for .cfg files and addons
* Bug fixes for all the bugs that were introduced by re-compiling it with a modern compiler
* The launcher now only has two profiles to choose from: Average and High , and the high setting is now higher than it used to be.
* Updated the hard-coded master server address (this is why finding it is a little speedier)
* New installer
* No more separate Extra Content installer -- the Tread Marks installer includes that now, so it's identical to the installer we ship on CD.

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on May 30, 2007 at 6:18 pm

the high setting is now higher than it used to be.

In what way? (>10k polys?)

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Posted on May 30, 2007 at 8:27 pm

it doesn't affect internet play at all

cool, just wanted to make sure i could ignore this upgrade, since i'll never be using vista.

Level 12 Human Cosmic Destroyer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on May 30, 2007 at 8:30 pm

what the heck is vista?

has microsoft finally upgraded windows? if so, IT'S A SIGN OF THE APOCALYPSE!

p.s can one of the forum admins change my user name to death?

Edit: how do I download the patch?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 30, 2007 at 9:13 pm

No... Vista isn't the apocalypse... it's just a sign that Microsoft is getting desperate with getting more money, so they make a new os and attempt to force everyone to use it.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 30, 2007 at 9:32 pm

No... Vista isn't the apocalypse... it's just a sign that Microsoft is getting desperate with getting more money, so they make a new os and attempt to force everyone to use it.

It's more like a product made by a company. :) Then it's a company that holds a big chunck in the standard usage of pc's... or it used to be... now we have people like harmless who uses other OS's... Eventually OS's will standarized as well since more global security will be needed.. then it will be another product hopefully that benefits us all...

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 31, 2007 at 12:27 am

That is what we could perhaps call the Age of Virtual Machines... anyone up for VMWare Workstation emulating random OS'es? :D

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on May 31, 2007 at 8:03 am

RICK: The Master/server IRC channel join still says 1.5.9 is now available :)

Posted on May 31, 2007 at 10:20 am

In what way? (>10k polys?)
It just uses the settings from godlypc.cfg now, which aren't so godly nowadays.

p.s can one of the forum admins change my user name to death?
Done. (Remember to log in with your new username.)

Edit: how do I download the patch?
We don't do patches. Just download the whole game from our Download Centre. If you've lost your download key or you bought the CD from a store, email me and I'll set you up.