Skip navigation

TM Mod Manager

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > TM Mod Manager
Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 5:16 am

I've just completed a mod manager for Treadmarks. Point it to a folder containing the zip file of you mods, and point it to the add ons folder.

It will (try to) show you whats installed, allow you to install and uninstall mods, and warn you if you have mods that conflict.

This is a 1.0.0 release, so there may be bugs/improvements. I would love to hear from you. :)

Requires .Net 2.0

grab TMMMInstall.msi from here:
http://www.omnilinkavstudios.com/treadmarks/main.php?page=BJS/downloads_Tools.php&group=BJS&uid=&

Level 16 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 29, 2007 at 9:04 pm

I'll test it on Vista and let you know.

Posted on May 29, 2007 at 9:11 pm

I just uploaded a new version (1.0.4) which has a work around for zip files that donot have the directories stored. I found a few zip files that have the full path stored in the fileinfo headers, but are missing the directory headers for them. Which means I have to build the directories as I go.
Oh well. LOL

Posted on May 30, 2007 at 11:05 am

While I didn't inspect the directories post use, it seems to work for me. quite well.
Yes, I remember

[code:1:047ca49576]c:\program files\TreadMarks 1.5\addons\Program Files\TreadMarks 1.5\addons[/code:1:047ca49576]
folder structures.

BTW, with a meager 1.5GB of RAM and a SATA HDD, the five second disappearance of the interface is a little unnerving.

All in all, I like it.

I also realize I have way, way, way too many addons with some redundancies.

Posted on May 30, 2007 at 12:32 pm

Thanks. And you actually hit on another piece I should fix.

I really should find the addon\ entry in the path string and start processing from the first directory beneath it.

I.e.

if the file in the zip is sotred with a path:

c:\program files\TreadMarks 1.5\addons\entities\myent.ent

I should create the path :

[whatever the configuration addons folder is]\entities\myent.ent

I'll post a message when this is fixed.

The problem I fixed in 1.0.4 is that some zip files had no directory header entries. Usually a zip file has a directory header for each directory included in the zip file. for example:

If I have a zip with the following files:

folder/file.ext
folder/folder2/file.ext

I would have the following headers in the zip file:

DIRHEAD folder
DIRHEAD folder/folder2
FILEHEAD folder/file.ext
FILEHEAD folder/folder2/file.ext

but i found a few zip files that don't have DIRHEADs, which caused extraction to fail. I was using the directory headers to create the folders before extracting the files. If the dirheads were missing, the directories were never created.

Posted on May 30, 2007 at 10:21 pm

I just finished up the fix for that full path problem. Version 1.0.5 is now available.

Posted on June 3, 2007 at 4:20 am

Testted it and it works, the screen disappearances for a few seconds are still a little bothersome but, I guess it's better than the thirty to forty second screen freeze with other applications.
Thanks!!

Posted on June 4, 2007 at 1:04 am

I fixed the freezes by adding a progress bar. v1.0.6 is available.

Posted on June 4, 2007 at 5:08 pm

It doesn't actually seem to freeze; post picking source and destination the window disappears and you wait for the application to come back. Not too long, a couple of seconds, just long enough to wonder if the application crashed.

Now a freeze is loading VMWarePlayer and watching the postup screen disappear and the mouse stop working and then a a glass window (which is supposed to be disabled) opaques the application window and you get the mouse back for almost a second and then freezes and the HDD light has been on solid for the whole time and then the post up starts all over and the gues OS loads.

That is a freeze

Posted on June 4, 2007 at 7:02 pm

ah, the initial startup of .Net takes a while, since it starts loading up the form components, and then teh app loads and scans all the zip files, then checks each file in each zip to see if it is installed. Its a slow process unfortunatly. :(

But I added progress bars which gives you more feedback on whats going on. That should help a bit.

Level 12 Human Writer & Computer Consultant
Alignment: Good
Posted on July 3, 2007 at 1:44 pm

At least past the first time.

Create a database showing what files are in what ZIP files, weed out the duplicates during this process (easy enough, since two files of the same length will rarely, if ever, have the same CRC32!) and store those in the manager's directory. On the next load, check to see if they exist, and if they do, load from that instead of checking ZIP files.

This way, (especially if you note which ZIP files contain which files, which would be a Very Good Idea) you'd only need to scan newly-detected ZIP files, thereby cutting down on HDD thrash and time spent waiting.

Posted on July 3, 2007 at 7:01 pm

Instead, the drive will be thrashing as we load up the ADO drivers, log into the database (of course, Vista users will be screwed at this point), scan the database, and scan the filesystem when we compare to see what changed. ;)

The locking problem is due to the fact that the main execution thread owns the gui, which handles redraws via a pInvoke, which gets queued until the main thread can handle them. When the main thread is busy, then the screen hangs . Sending the work to another thread is kinda pointless, and a royal pain in the ass (Under .Net 2.0, guis can only be manipulated by the main thread, or the thread that created them, therefore we have to pInvoke every gui update, ugh).

Posted on July 4, 2007 at 1:08 am

You could do it with a small quick flat file database, doh, I forgot, MS removed the text ODBC driver didn't they?

Posted on July 4, 2007 at 4:04 pm

Crash on startup during initial population of the lists. :( Every time, too. :cry: Using the current version of TM Mod Manager. Changes to paths are not being saved, due to the crash.

Paths:
C:\Games\Tread Marks 1.6\TMMods
C:\Games\Tread Marks 1.6\Addons

If it's the paths above causing the crash, suggestions would be nice.
Running MCE 2005 (XP Pro with MCE extensions) with all current patches. As a power user, too, but it also crashed while I was using it as an admin user, so it's not the permissions. :sigh:

Posted on July 4, 2007 at 10:35 pm

If you can post the exception, I could isolate the problem.

I doubt it has anything to do with paths, though.

MS removed the text ODBC driver didn't they?

Yeap, not that it would be any faster if they hadn't. LOL

Posted on July 4, 2007 at 11:09 pm

If you can post the exception, I could isolate the problem.
I doubt it has anything to do with paths, though.
All I see is the statement from the OS that reads:

TMModManager has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost. (typical totally useless idiot-box message from Winblows).

Took a screencap (using PaintShop Pro) but quoted the message above, so it's kinda pointless to give the image file, yes? :sigh:

Stupid Windows isn't giving any actual information here. How to solve?

Posted on July 5, 2007 at 9:50 am

Hmmm. I guess what I can do is log some stuff to a file to see why it fails. I'll post another note when I have a version with logging enabled ready for you to try.

Posted on July 5, 2007 at 12:15 pm

I posted version 1.0.8, I've added more messagebox popups when exceptions occur, and added an errorlog.txt file for logging.

Give it a try, hopefully this will help us isolate the problem.

Posted on July 5, 2007 at 10:54 pm

1.0.9 is available, I found a couple of bugs:

- some zip files weren't marked as conflicting in the main zip list.
- some zip files didn't show up in the installed list when installed.

Posted on July 6, 2007 at 1:09 am

1.1.0 is now up.

It saves the zip list on exit, which it reloads at startup. Then it checks to see if any new zip files were added. This will cut down on subsequent startup times. It *does not* pick up on modified zip files. Fpr that, you will need to click the refresh button.

TMMM will always scan the addons folder to see whats installed.