Skip navigation

RB, RBT and Windows Vista x64

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Arcade Games > RB, RBT and Windows Vista x64
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on May 21, 2007 at 6:39 am

Both Rival Ball and Rival Ball Tournament install into C:\Program Files under Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit which is wrong because both are 32-bit programs!

You need to create a new installer to install to C:\Program Files (x86)

On top of this, Windows Vista is the last 32-bit supporting OS according to Microsoft so I hope your newer games are 64-bit.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 21, 2007 at 10:45 am

Actually they haven't made that determination yet for client OS's. The second release candidate of Server 2008 will be only 64bit. I upgraded to vista ultimate and at first I was totally dissatisfied. Everything ran at a snails pace, so i clean installed on a new HD using the upgrade dvd. still not thrilled with ie7 (crashes too much), but everything else seems to be running smoothly.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on May 21, 2007 at 9:42 pm

Actually they haven't made that determination yet for client OS's. The second release candidate of Server 2008 will be only 64bit. I upgraded to vista ultimate and at first I was totally dissatisfied. Everything ran at a snails pace, so i clean installed on a new HD using the upgrade dvd. still not thrilled with ie7 (crashes too much), but everything else seems to be running smoothly.

Speed, isn't a problem for me I've been tweaking Windows since 1997 (X-Setup Pro user) I use Firefox and Opera for surfing, never touch IE it's caching system is hopeless. I had problems with PerfectDisk and some other hardware with Vista, I'm not back with WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit).

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on May 22, 2007 at 1:51 pm

We'll be posting Vista-compatible versions of all our games in a day or two. We'll still only be supporting 32-bit Windows, though, because we don't want to have to offer two versions of each installer.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 22, 2007 at 6:40 pm

Speed, isn't a problem for me I've been tweaking Windows since 1997 (X-Setup Pro user) I use Firefox and Opera for surfing, never touch IE it's caching system is hopeless. I had problems with PerfectDisk and some other hardware with Vista, I'm not back with WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit).

If you can tweak Windows 98, I have a job for you. Besides Windows ME, it's the most unstable version released. I have a client that uses a DOS app that only runs under 98 or earlier. There's no stopping the OS crashes. The only software compatibility issue I had with Vista was the Macromedia 8 suite, but since upgrading to Adobe CS3, that went away.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on May 22, 2007 at 9:03 pm

Haven't used Win98 since about 2001 when I switched to Win2000 Pro.

Geez, I must have been drinking with that last post, I am back with WinXP Pro SP2 (32-bit) fully patched thanks to AutoPatcher.

Thanks, Rick I look forward to them arriving!

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 23, 2007 at 9:20 am

If you can tweak Windows 98, I have a job for you. Besides Windows ME, it's the most unstable version released. I have a client that uses a DOS app that only runs under 98 or earlier. There's no stopping the OS crashes. The only software compatibility issue I had with Vista was the Macromedia 8 suite, but since upgrading to Adobe CS3, that went away.

Game programmer , would Dos box be able to run that dos app? i know its designed mainly for games but it might be able to do apps.

And I'm sure i got my 98 machine here under all this junk so if you wish i could try it on mine and see if it works ok with me? 98 worked ok with me only ever having about 30 crashes since i started using it compared to Xps 40+.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 23, 2007 at 12:02 pm

The DOS App runs under Windows 98 with no problem. The problem is the instability of WIN 98 itself. I would like to get the app to run under Win 2K or even XP but it isn't possible.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 24, 2007 at 12:06 pm

The DOS App runs under Windows 98 with no problem. The problem is the instability of WIN 98 itself. I would like to get the app to run under Win 2K or even XP but it isn't possible.
tried googling the app for an update/patch so it runs under Win2k?

and did you try my dos box idea for running the app in 2k/xp/whatever?

Posted on May 24, 2007 at 7:40 pm

Okay guys, I'm not going to release the updates until Monday, just so you know.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 6:53 am

Ok, are they on the server yet?
I only ask cause you guys aren't big on including version numbers in the filename or on the Downloads page :)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 8:28 pm

I wake up and it's Monday 8:27pm over there and still nothing!
A Tuesday release now?

Posted on May 28, 2007 at 9:04 pm

I'm working on it as we speak.

Edit: New versions uploaded, preparing news post now.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 9:26 pm

Huge, Thank You!!!!

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on May 28, 2007 at 10:13 pm

RBT and Expansion pack cannot be registered, need help quick!

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on November 13, 2008 at 7:27 am

Rick, is it normal for RBT to use 120Mb of RAM under Vista SP1 x64?

Posted on November 14, 2008 at 4:59 am

On my x64 machine it tops out at just over 90Mb, but your mileage may vary.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 3, 2009 at 11:03 am

Wow, turning off the Aero interface improves the performance of RB and RBT heaps!
Which means, both games will struggle badly with Windows 7, not looking good LDA!

Posted on April 6, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Aero requires a good video card and a lot of video RAM; that has nothing to do with RB or RBT.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 7, 2009 at 9:43 pm

nVidia 9800GT 512mb
4Gb DDR2 800Mhz

Nevermind, I've enabled Aero again and things seem to be OK for now.