Skip navigation

Particle Fire 2 at 3840x1200 resolution

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > General Chatter > Particle Fire 2 at 3840x1200 resolution
Level 12 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 11, 2007 at 12:21 pm

I have been a fan of Particle Fire since I first discovered it in 1998 from a shareware site. I always enjoyed using it as a system/vid card stress test, just to see how many particles could be pushed smoothly. When pfire2 came out, it was insane. Multi-color! This was an even better stress test, and I had to go through quite a few system upgrades to get the multi-color fire to render smoothly. Those days are long gone, but I still use pfire2. I've been able to use whatever settings I want without trouble for quite a few years now... until now.

I'm running new dual 24 widescreen LCD's on my rig now, that provides a desktop resolution of 3840x1200. When I run pfire2 in multi-monitor mode my system can't keep up! This is with a 3.2GHz Pentium D with 3GB ram and a 7900GT overclocked video card. I have found a new stress test! If I disable Multi-colored Fire then it renders smoothly. I will keep testing new hardware on this display setup until I reach the new threshold.

Anybody else a big pfire2 fan?

Level 14 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 11, 2007 at 2:22 pm

That is extra-ordinarily impressive!

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 11, 2007 at 2:37 pm

thats ever so slightly overkill, but nice none the less.

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 11, 2007 at 4:18 pm

This statement sounds underwhelming, but trust me, I'm saying it with awe:

Oh man, that's nice.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on April 12, 2007 at 2:25 pm

The display is overkill or the screensaver? I find dual monitors essential for modern day IT management or development, and 22-24 seems to be the best bang for the buck. I can view four different systems or more without having to alt-tab. I think everybody should have dual 19 displays or higher to increase productivity and efficiency at work.

If you feel the screensaver is overkill, well, it looks better than duplicate or two different ones running at the same time.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 12, 2007 at 7:39 pm

The display is overkill or the screensaver? I find dual monitors essential for modern day IT management or development, and 22-24 seems to be the best bang for the buck. I can view four different systems or more without having to alt-tab. I think everybody should have dual 19 displays or higher to increase productivity and efficiency at work.

If you feel the screensaver is overkill, well, it looks better than duplicate or two different ones running at the same time.

The duel monitor thing. Now can you do it with 4 monitors and really impress us?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 13, 2007 at 11:45 am

Duals monitors really are quite useful, although considering that we added explicit multi-monitor support to Particle Fire 2, you might not be surprised to hear me say that!

Most of us in the office have one wide-screen LCD (1680x1050) and one regular LCD (1280x1024). It's very useful for programming, particularly for game programming, because you can debug your program without minimizing it. It also means you can do something else (like read a website) while your program is compiling, and still keep an eye on your build status.

I've also found wide-screen useful for coding, but the application that takes advantage of it the most, oddly enough, is my email app!

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on April 13, 2007 at 5:51 pm

The duel monitor thing. Now can you do it with 4 monitors and really impress us?

I would if I could. I have seen some industrial production environments (Weyerhaeuser, for example), where they have four of these displays mounted on a quad-stand to provide superior real-time systems viewing. They are really taking advantage of the desktop real estate there.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 14, 2007 at 2:44 pm

quick question....why do you need a dual screen