Skip navigation

Would this make a good Xbox 360 Live Arcade game?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Would this make a good Xbox 360 Live Arcade game?
Level 12 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 7, 2007 at 7:11 pm

Sorry if this has been brought up before. But this game is still great and no one really knows about it. I haven't played it for a couple years (never could find enough people online when I played). I last tried it at a one lan party I went to and they never heard of it or tried to give it a chance, they played mostly CS.

But I still think it's still a great game today, but what better way to make such an arena online type game available to all but through Xbox Live Arcade. Not like the graphics would need to be redone, it would work perfect the way it is. I've already seen and tried horrible games on the service, I just think Treadmarks would do well on there. Just imagine it, it would fit perfect. Then you'd also have to design the Live stuff like leaderboards, voice chat, things like that.

Doesn't seem like much to do to port it over when you already have a great finished game sitting there. It can't cost too much to develop and publish a game for Live Arcade. Also have it work with the Vista version of Xbox Live Arcade like they are doing with some games such as Halo2 and Uno.

Level 13 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 7, 2007 at 8:26 pm

I don't have an opinion on this. Besides, LDA might not do it, as they do not want to mess Seumas's code as of the time being.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on April 7, 2007 at 8:51 pm

I don't have an opinion on this. Besides, LDA might not do it, as they do not want to mess Seumas's code as of the time being.

They should probably look into it. It's kind of a new market. Old games are being ported to the Live Arcade, plus all new games made just for it, all priced within the $5-$20 range with a certain file size limit. I mean there was a poor game just out called Novadrone, a 3rd person strange car arena game, and it was horrible from the demo I played. Tread Marks is proven to be good already. And all Live Arcade games have to have a demo, where you actually download the whole game, you get a trial mode, and then you can choose to unlock it.

A little blurb on what could be made with a standard budget for a arcade game from scratch.:
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2006/09/xbox_live_arcade_makes_how_muc.php

Level 13 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 7, 2007 at 9:35 pm

LDA is flat out on Hegemony right now. Once they get that out, and it sells well, they might look back at TM and their other product lines. Until then, nothing new will happen.

However, increasing TM's appeal and audience would be good. I know they have done some work on it toward TM2 a couple years back, but it never went anywhere.

--RC

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 7, 2007 at 10:18 pm

I'm with you man! (timothyb)

TM would be a great arena for mass multi-playing... LDA is releasing a new game which probably has all their attention but I would love for TM to get where it belongs ;)

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 8, 2007 at 6:23 am

TM on the Xbox 360 isn't a bad idea, they did it with alien homicide so tread marks is possible.
im currently not sure about the controls on it but still worth a shot.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on April 8, 2007 at 2:51 pm

Don't forget XBox uses DirectX. TM's graphics is programmed in OpenGL. Thus a conversion requires a rewrite of the graphics engine. That's no simple matter.

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 9, 2007 at 4:52 am

Ignoring all the technical stuff which would no-doubt be a pain in the backside, I would say this is a nice idea. However possibly the greatest thing in TM for me is the ability to make mods, thats what kept me playing TM. I doubt that it would be possible to implement this so easily on the 360, so perhaps a demo on Live for free (or cheap)? In order to atract more attention to the PC version.

However I do agree that it would probably be too complicated and LDA is busy at the mo.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 9, 2007 at 6:16 am

Don't forget XBox uses DirectX. TM's graphics is programmed in OpenGL. Thus a conversion requires a rewrite of the graphics engine. That's no simple matter.

Ah but instead of reprogramming the engine , why not compleatly upgrade it for DirectX?

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on April 9, 2007 at 7:56 am

Huh?

OpenGL and DirectX are completely different graphics command structures.

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on April 9, 2007 at 2:58 pm

XBLA is an interesting platform, and I'm glad the console makers aren't dropping the ball on digital distribution.

There are some truisms that have already been stated: we are very busy on Hegemony, and porting Tread Marks to XBLA wouldn't be trivial; besides, if we decided to do that, we wouldn't be content with simply porting the game as it is without making some updates to the game, and obviously as Seamus is no longer with us it would take extra effort to get that done.

As far as TM2 , we were at one point in time out-sourcing a port of Tread Marks to the PS2, but we got burned on that deal, since that team never got it done.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 9, 2007 at 6:38 pm

XBLA is an interesting platform, and I'm glad the console makers aren't dropping the ball on digital distribution.... and porting Tread Marks to XBLA wouldn't be trivial; besides, if we decided to do that, we wouldn't be content with simply porting the game as it is without making some updates to the game, and obviously as Seamus is no longer with us it would take extra effort to get that done.
As far as TM2 , we were at one point in time out-sourcing a port of Tread Marks to the PS2...

I play Battlefield2 and it's just amazing how complicated and advanced multi-playing has become... at the same time,
TM's platform is simple and just as fun if not more... TM allows you to relax while playing... other games you can hardly breath and your pc must be well equipped... TM can be run in windows 95... I would think that with a good server & bandwidth, TM should accomodate as many players as you wish...? whereas other games are very limited...

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 10, 2007 at 7:10 am

I play Battlefield2 and it's just amazing how complicated and advanced multi-playing has become... at the same time,
TM's platform is simple and just as fun if not more... TM allows you to relax while playing... other games you can hardly breath and your pc must be well equipped... TM can be run in windows 95... I would think that with a good server & bandwidth, TM should accomodate as many players as you wish...? whereas other games are very limited...

doesn't Battlefield 2 also have a lot of ads in it on signs and pop ups when you die? i hear it slows the game down alot.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 10, 2007 at 3:43 pm

not sure; people configure their servers to re-spawn in different times. Some do it after 3 seconds others after 15 seconds...
It does a lot of peripheral views... I noticed when I jumped into a tank or airplane, that's when most of the time lag occurs or game stop responding... then again, i need to buy more memory, I still have 512RAM on this thing :P

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on April 13, 2007 at 11:03 pm

Whatever became of the Tantulus rip-off?
-
I hope they rot in hell for stealing from you guys.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on May 4, 2007 at 1:25 am

:) Rick the back room boys really don't see the appeal of TM, not many games attract all ages, TM does this in spades!

With the solid player group TM has, promoting the game through the players would expand it's market share.

One of the frustrating things about TM, new players get so frustrated trying to get a handle on the action that they quit. I have always felt a small part of the game could be set aside for newbies.

Explaning single player should have some instuctions to start of with 1 or 2 AI's and have then go from there!

As a oldie but goodie, that young man tapped into the imagination and made playing with small metal tanks as a kid brought it all to life! Never have I enjoyed anything as much as I have playing TM! That's a fact!

I have told my sons that when I meet my maker, I want my TM disk in the box with me....just in case I can find a the game and some players in the hear after lol :lol: