Skip navigation

Download Key - Universal?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Longbow Support > Download Key - Universal?
Level 11 Human Unemployed
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 3, 2007 at 9:54 am

Hi!

I've bought all the games from you guys, well all the Rival Ball ones.. I got many... I don't have download keys anymore and was wondering if you can assign one to me for all the things I bought. I don't need them but if updates come out later isn't that how I get them?

Also when I enter my stuff in the redownload area it says I'm not authorized but I'm not sure if it's cuz I don't got a key for stuff or what. As far as I know Rival Ball Series 1, 2, etc don't need keys, only the Tournament does?

Can you fix it all so it works if updates come..

Level 13 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 3, 2007 at 6:27 pm

Hi,

The original download keys we sent you via email still work. I'll send them to you again in case you've misplaced them, so be sure to check your mail.

Edit: AOL bounced my message to you. Sending you a PM instead. Click the You have 1 message link at the top of this page.

Posted on April 3, 2007 at 8:15 pm

Thanks.. so like umm can't it all be combined into 1 download key, it'd be simplier lol

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 4, 2007 at 5:55 am

Thanks.. so like umm can't it all be combined into 1 download key, it'd be simplier lol

Sderenzi from what I know of the pirating scene , if we did have one code for all games. Someone will post it on a website somewhere meaning LDA will lose money and eventually go bankrupt, meaning no Tread marks , Rival ball and hegemony sequels.

and another problem is that if you buy a download key it will also be conpatable with games you haven't bought.

@Rick
Is it possible to give everyone a account key and just update that key with new games as they are bought for the account?

heres what I mean.

Say my account key was 001 , and i bought Tread marks (again) and i already had DXball 2 , instead of entering a download key , i would download a demo and enter my account key unlocking the full game.
I think this is how many companys do it.

Posted on April 4, 2007 at 12:28 pm

Yeah, no problem. I'll consolidate them all into your newest download key (the one with the largest number).

Nitro: When I get around to rewriting the store, my plan is to tie all the purchases to your email address. That won't happen until later this year, though.

Posted on April 4, 2007 at 10:45 pm

Thanks Rick it worked great. A simple question now... in the future when updates are released I can use my Download Key, I get that.. but umm what's this all about:

Once you have purchased a product you are authorized to download it a limited number of times. If you exceed that limit, as indicated by the words 'Limit Exceeded' next to the product, you will no longer be able to download that product and must contact LDA to authorize you again.

It makes no sense to me, if there's a limit then eventually the key will no longer work right? So what do we do after that, e-mail you again an again?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 5, 2007 at 6:44 am

@ above post.
TBH , if you try to use your download key to download multiple copys of the game it steals some of the bandwidth from the LDA download servers, so therefore they use that download key system to limit the number of times.

I can understand theres alot of reasons why you don't like this.If i tried buying RBT since i had my first computer i would have had to redownload RBT about 17 times due to hard drive crashes and because i would have deleted it.

@Rickster

what is the limit on the download keys at the moment? i just want to know before i think about buying anything from LDA games online store.

Posted on April 5, 2007 at 1:13 pm

Well my point was this.. if they'll keep updating the versions over time but the download keys only work a certain number of times... well.. it's kinda silly. What might be better is that when a new version is released you reset the download limit on that particular file, thus it doesn't mess up stuff.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 5, 2007 at 2:55 pm

Well my point was this.. if they'll keep updating the versions over time but the download keys only work a certain number of times... well.. it's kinda silly. What might be better is that when a new version is released you reset the download limit on that particular file, thus it doesn't mess up stuff.

I think they allow a free download of it using your key but then again im never sure when anythings updated these days.

Posted on April 5, 2007 at 6:40 pm

We should update that page; it's too strongly worded.

The limit is ten downloads per product, but all you have to do is send us an email after that and we'll reset it to ten downloads again (and we'll usually also reset any other products that are getting close to their limit, but it's rare that customers actually use all their downloads). This is just so that people can't post a download key on a warez site and serve the game to thousands of pirates.

When I re-write the store some time this year, I'm considering loosening that restriction a bit. Perhaps to 10 downloads every 100 days or so. Let me know what you think!

We should also be able to reset the downloads with every update; that's a pretty good idea. It doesn't happen all too often, but we will have new Vista-compatible versions soon.

Posted on April 6, 2007 at 12:33 am

Yea Rick I would just do that then, make it reset when a new version is uploaded, that way you're happy and we're happy.

I wonder what needs to be redone for Vista? :-o

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 6, 2007 at 5:40 am

All of it? Vista is a pain in the neck from what i hear.
the place where my dad works had vista , it took them around 2 hours to find out how to print.

Posted on April 9, 2007 at 12:46 pm

Based on my initial review, the older products are just going to need their installer recompiled, but the newer products (the ones with registration keys) will need to be modified slightly to put the registration keys somewhere else on your computer.

I think any game you installed before upgrading to Vista should work alright at this point.