Skip navigation

lost all my mods :(

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > lost all my mods :(
Pages 1 2
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 30, 2007 at 6:12 pm

due to a comp crash, and a bad harddrive needing to be replaced, I'm afraid to say that I lost all mods on which I was working :(:(:(

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 30, 2007 at 7:18 pm

You never had backups?
Don't worry about it , can i ask what happened to said hard drive?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 2, 2007 at 10:26 pm

it's being replaced...however it will have twice as much memory as the old one

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 2, 2007 at 10:34 pm

Memory is to ram as space is to hard drive :)

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on April 5, 2007 at 1:31 am

RAM is to attention span as hard disk is to office space.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 5, 2007 at 6:45 am

of which there is never enough to speak of

Posted on April 5, 2007 at 10:47 pm

And with hardware as it stands today, anything over 3GB must be back filled because of device drivers

Level 12 Human Tinker
Alignment: Good
Posted on April 9, 2007 at 5:20 pm

I think my cats believe I just completely stepped over the edge and lost it, having laughed so suddenly. That is the most amusing thing I have read all week. Thank you! :lol:

Level 15 Human gamer
Posted on April 10, 2007 at 1:50 am

Well, I want to play the blonde now. Maybe I need a picture or something. I just dont get that analogue.

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Posted on April 10, 2007 at 2:08 am

ok bro, how is this :)

RAM is volatile, ephemeral
hard disks are permanent

toodles,
bro harmless
:)

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on April 10, 2007 at 7:45 am

Don't forget the internet connection in that diagram, Harmless.

;)

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 10, 2007 at 8:46 am

omg...o_o ...in an ideal world huh? :'D

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: Chaotic evil
Posted on April 10, 2007 at 9:08 am

Now everything makes sense. ^_^

Posted on April 13, 2007 at 11:30 pm

Six, you are my bread and butter and I'll never get a chance to write this out:

Remember when you were trying to explain to your grandmother how a computer worked and you needed some analogy to explain RAM Memory and Hard Disk Memory? I know I'm reaching far back into your psyche for you to remember this because this was when Windows 95 was new and everyone was rushing to out to by the new Plug and Play operating system which was really only a wet dream at the time.

It took me a long time to help my customers GROK RAM and HDD.

Finally, I explained to one client that RAM was like her physical desktop and she could only put so much fecal matter on her desktop before she either had to put some of it away in a file cabinet, her hard disk storage, or lose it to the space between the wall and her desktop, I/O errors.

She had an epiphone and never had problems finding here files again.

In ancient times, we bought 3MB or RAM so we could run QEMM and move programs into high memory to swap them back in forth faster than closing a program and loading another.

Then we got Windows 3.0 and it would swap our programs to the hard drive and tell us it was in memory but that it would be better if we had 16MB or RAM

Then we got Windows 3.1 at home and Windows NT3.5 in the office and some programs actually did stay in memory sort of.

In the long gone days, you know, Windows 2000-XP, we bought more RAM so we could run more progams at the same time.

Then came Vista and we needed 3GB of RAM so that the really expensive system we bought could not run our favorite DVD because DRM disabled it and it takes so long for our computers to shut themselves down we long for the days of DOS when you could turn the frickin thing off.

I miss how much I could do with a keyboard, batch files, lotus 123, WordStar and Paradox.

Those were the days when work meant work, not robocopying to a secondary disk subsystem so that primary disk subsystem failure didn't mean losing seven years worth of data.

Ah, the joys of 34 disk applications installs and worry free power failures.

Now you have to worry about Delayed write failure errors, long run on sentence folder naming by Betty the secretary who hates her boss and save the file name with some esoteric rhetoric that an IT guy understands is an insult and quits so the boss can't find his file and the back up fails because the long file name support to take into account a folder structure that equates to over four thousand characters which exceeds the tape file allocation space by some 3,267 characters which means that the file was backed up but the path overflowed quietly which the secretery didn't know would happen but the IT guy did but had no control ove the secretery adding sixty subfolders in the company document share because she was in a mood.

Level 15 Human gamer
Posted on April 18, 2007 at 12:21 am

Thank you much Harmless and Vor. I always love being educated.

I remember my Kaypro protable and the fast CPM operating system. It even made it to the Wikipedia...LOL

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaypro</a>

Below it a screen shot of the CP/M system booted up. I miss the fact that when you turned on your computer it was just on . Those were the simple days...LOL

Level 15 Human gamer
Posted on April 18, 2007 at 12:22 am

Thank you much Harmless and Vor. I always love being educated.

I remember my Kaypro protable and the fast CPM operating system. It even made it to the Wikipedia...LOL

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaypro</a>

Below it a screen shot of the CP/M system booted up. I miss the fact that when you turned on your computer it was just on . Those were the simple days...LOL

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 18, 2007 at 1:06 am

Mmm... a slice of digital history... toasty...

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 21, 2007 at 10:40 pm

*does little dance* I got my comp back with twice the memory :D

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 22, 2007 at 11:16 am

Yay! Now you have 1.5mb of ram! W00t!

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on April 22, 2007 at 2:55 pm

jujaga>> 80 gb :D