Skip navigation

TMapper 2 - new version availible

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > TMapper 2 - new version availible
Pages 1 2
Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on March 27, 2007 at 8:03 pm

Firstly, this version has been decompiled from Dreamer's original version. I then fixed it up, and added some features. So if there is a problem with this version, you can blame me. :D
Secondly, I have gotten permission from LDA to do this, and I've been intouch with Dreamer about it as well.
Thirdly, special thanks goes out to Dreamer for the original version, Sailor and BZP for having to deal with my buggy code and test out the new version, and LDA for such a cool game. :D

Fourthly, the must read section:
TMapper was created in 2001 by Karl F. Jentsch (aka Dreamer), head of the Black Widow Lance, a Tread Marks clan.

TMapper was originally written in Java using the Sun Java2 1.3 and Java3D 1.2 libraries.
Additional information about the original TMapper can be found at the Black Widow Lance home page: http://www.treadmarks.de

In 2007, Joe Sera (aka <<KiLlEr>>, BoomstickJoe) began work on expanding and fixing a decompiled version.
The new version now runs on Java 6 and Java 3D 1.5 libraries.
Additional information about the new TMapper can be found on this site.

Bug reports and new feature requests can be sent to Joe Sera at TMapper@omnilinkavstudios.com

Longbow Digital Arts Incorporated supplied code and information are used by permission,

Tread Marks is a product and trademark of Longbow Digital Arts Incorporated Additional information about LDA and their products can be found at http://www.ldagames.com
Java is a product and trademark of Sun Microsystems. The latest version can be found here: http://java.sun.com/javase/
Java 3d is a product and trademark of Sun Microsystems. The latest version can be found here: http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/

Finally, the link to my support site: ITS HERE!! :D

Enjoy!

Posted on March 27, 2007 at 8:56 pm

Here's the feature/enhancement/docs:

[code:1:123220e79d]
- Code was decompiled and updated to use the Java 6 runtime and the Java3d 1.5 libraries.

- Mesh objects are previewed using the lwo file of the mesh.

- New x/y translation sliders allow you to pan around the map.

- Flip, Rotate, and Zoom sliders have improved default ranges.

- All five 3d view sliders limits can be modified by the user on the View Config tab.

- When you select an ent from the ent list, use the numeric keypads 8,2,4,6 keys
to move the entity around on the map in 1 meter increments &#40;entity list must have focus for this to work&#41;
holding down alt moves it by 10 meter increments
holding down ctrl moves it in 100 meter increments
You can also holding down shift while clicking on the map to move the currently selected entity to that point.&#40;old&#41;

- Clicking save will respond immediatly.

- A confirmation box will pop up when the file has been sucessfully saved, just in case you walk away and come
back later.

- Entities are loaded from the addons folder first, then the stock folders

- Entity type drop down bug fixed

- Click on an entity in the entity list and press 'delete' to delete it.
You can also delete entities by holding down both the ctrl+alt keys and clicking on an object on the map.&#40;old&#41;

- Tool hotkeys!

Ctrl+a - Select Tool
Ctrl+s - Waypoint Tool
Ctrl+d - Tree Tool
Ctrl+f - Forest Tool
Ctrl+g - Mesh Tool

Why such odd key choices? I find its more ergonomic to keep my left hand pinky on the ctrl key and have
all 5 keys right under my fingers. &#58;&#41;

- Dropping a new tree on a map will automatically get its entity id set to 4, if the current value in the field is 0.
If the current value is not zero, that value will be used.

- New menu option Racemap waypoint auto id automatically bumps up the entity id each time you drop a new waypoint
on the map. Holding down the ctrl key when you click will bump the entity id to the next multiple of 100 &#40;a gate way point&#41;.
Turning the Racemap waypoint auto id &#40;unchecked&#41; off will reset the id counter. The Racemap waypoint auto id is
automatically shutoff when you load a new map.

Notes about racemaps&#58; The starting line on the map must have an entity id of 0. All waypoints that have an entity id
that is a multiple of 100 &#40;i.e. 100,200,300,400.etc&#41; become gates. All other waypoints that
are not a multiple of 100 &#40;i.e. 101, 213,, etc&#41; are used to direct the AI tanks.

- Removed the update button from the eco tab. Changing the sliders, textboxes, or texture file will now automatically update the
map view.

- New Forest factory tool! It randomly places trees in a confined area,
Click on the forest tool &#40;the one below the tree tool&#41; to select this tool. Once the tool is selected,
the current ent selection is cleared and the class/type ent drop downs are rest to the tree defaults.
At this point you can change the type to the tree ent you wish to use. Now click on a spot in the map
where you want the center of the forest to be located. A window will now open to allow you to enter
the parameters to generate the tree.
The widgits are as follows&#58;
Number of trees - The total number of trees you want to generate
Radius&#40;meters&#41; - The maximum radius of area, in meters, to populate with a forest
Aspect ratio - This squishes the area into an oval
50&#58;50 is a circle
100&#58;0 lines up the trees east to west,
0&#58;100 lines up the trees north to south
Direction - Rotates the forest from -90 &#40;face west&#41; to 90 &#40;face east&#41;
Spacing&#40;meters&#41; - The minimum amount of space to leave between the trees. The slider's range is 1-30, but you may enter
any value in the textbox.
Use gaussian random number generator - Use the gaussian random number generator instead of the standard generator.
The gaussian generator will clump more trees in the center of the forest.
The standard generator distributes the trees evenly.
Limit trees to map boundary - Keep the trees on the map, or let them flow on to the repeating sections.
Random Tree Ents - Randomize the tree's entity type before added it to the map.
Okay - Build the forest!
Cancel - Abort the operation

NOTE&#58; If you choose a set of parameters which doesn't allow enough room for the number of trees and their minimum
spacing, The populator will attempt to fit as many trees as possible before giving up.

- The entity parameter textfields are updated as you type, and reject non-numeric characters. You no longer need to hit enter
to make your change stick.

- Progress bar is also used to give helpful tips while working.

- Eliminated calls to system.gc&#40;&#41;

- Tweeked the launcher bat file to properly set up the runtime enviornment. The heap size is set to 128mb+128mb. To increase it further,
you may edit the tmapper.bat file. Look for the parameters -Xms128m -Xmx128m and change 128 to the appropriate number of megabytes
for your machine. The more, the better.

- Fixed gui initialization and threading issues.

- Eco textfields are updated as you type, and reject non-numeric characters. Press enter when you finish typing to update the map.
[/code:1:123220e79d]

Level 13 Human pita
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 27, 2007 at 9:43 pm

1) Download and install the Java 1.6 JRE from here: http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
2) Download and install the Java 3d 1.5 API from here: http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/3D/download.html
3) Extract the tmapper2.zip archive anywhere.
4) Double click on the TMapper.bat file to launch TMapper.

nothing happens. the dos window opens and closes then nothing?

Posted on March 27, 2007 at 9:57 pm

- click start->run

- type:
cmd.exe
hit enter

- cd to the directory where the tmapper.bat file is

- type:
TMapper.bat
hit enter.

If there is a class load failure, it would be outputted to the dos prompt.
Post the message here.

Level 13 Human pita
Posted on March 27, 2007 at 10:20 pm

[code:1:f80e145abd]E&#58;\Program Files\TMapper2>tmapper.bat

E&#58;\Program Files\TMapper2>java -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX&#58;+UseParallelGC -XX&#58;+UseAdap
tiveSizePolicy -jar TMapper.jar 1>>errorlog.txt
Exception in thread main java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError&#58; javax/media/j3d/Geome
try

E&#58;\Program Files\TMapper2>[/code:1:f80e145abd]

Posted on March 27, 2007 at 10:28 pm

try reinstalling the Java 3d api.

Level 13 Human pita
Posted on March 27, 2007 at 10:36 pm

reinstalled it /rebooted machine/still same error

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 27, 2007 at 10:57 pm

.NET 2.0 ?

Posted on March 27, 2007 at 11:02 pm

Java 6 :)

Posted on March 27, 2007 at 11:12 pm

I reuploaded the TMapper2.zip file to my site. It now has the missing libraries. That should fix the problem you're having Kong.

Birth pangs :)

To all: a dos window does open up when you launch from the bat file. This is normal. DONOT close the dos window.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 27, 2007 at 11:37 pm

I'll give it a try as soon as I have the time (right now it is time to sleep, so tomorrow at the earliest).

Thanks for the hard work, Killer!

Level 13 Human pita
Posted on March 28, 2007 at 12:36 am

getting this now

[code:1:c3ae1f913f]E&#58;\Program Files\TMapper2>tmapper.bat

E&#58;\Program Files\TMapper2>java -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX&#58;+UseParallelGC -XX&#58;+UseAdap
tiveSizePolicy -jar TMapper.jar 1>>errorlog.txt
Exception in thread main java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError&#58; no j3dcore-ogl in jav
a.library.path
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
at javax.media.j3d.NativePipeline$1.run&#40;NativePipeline.java&#58;138&#41;
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged&#40;Native Method&#41;
at javax.media.j3d.NativePipeline.loadLibrary&#40;NativePipeline.java&#58;135&#41;
at javax.media.j3d.NativePipeline.loadLibraries&#40;NativePipeline.java&#58;95&#41;
at javax.media.j3d.MasterControl.loadLibraries&#40;MasterControl.java&#58;785&#41;
at javax.media.j3d.VirtualUniverse.<clinit>&#40;VirtualUniverse.java&#58;259&#41;
at Display3D.<init>&#40;Display3D.java&#58;62&#41;
at TMapper.<clinit>&#40;TMapper.java&#58;85&#41;

E&#58;\Program Files\TMapper2>[/code:1:c3ae1f913f]

maybe let someone else try it first. could be something screwed up on my end

Posted on March 28, 2007 at 12:50 am

try starting it like this:

[code:1:4845a1c52c]
java -classpath lib\j3dcore.jar;j3dutils.jar;swing-layout-1.0.jar;vecmath.jar -Xms128m -Xmx128m -XX&#58;+UseParallelGC -XX&#58;+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -jar TMapper.jar >>errorlog.txt
[/code:1:4845a1c52c]

that will force the jvm to use only the jar files in the lib folder.

Level 13 Human pita
Posted on March 28, 2007 at 12:55 am

[code:1:1bb8e024ba]E&#58;\Program Files\TMapper2>java -classpath lib\j3dcore.jar;j3dutils.jar;swing-la
yout-1.0.jar;vecmath.jar -Xms512m -Xmx512m -XX&#58;+UseParallelGC -XX&#58;+UseAdaptiveS
izePolicy -jar TMapper.jar >>errorlog.txt
Exception in thread main java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError&#58; no j3dcore-ogl in jav
a.library.path
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary&#40;Unknown Source&#41;
at javax.media.j3d.NativePipeline$1.run&#40;NativePipeline.java&#58;138&#41;
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged&#40;Native Method&#41;
at javax.media.j3d.NativePipeline.loadLibrary&#40;NativePipeline.java&#58;135&#41;
at javax.media.j3d.NativePipeline.loadLibraries&#40;NativePipeline.java&#58;95&#41;
at javax.media.j3d.MasterControl.loadLibraries&#40;MasterControl.java&#58;785&#41;
at javax.media.j3d.VirtualUniverse.<clinit>&#40;VirtualUniverse.java&#58;259&#41;
at Display3D.<init>&#40;Display3D.java&#58;62&#41;
at TMapper.<clinit>&#40;TMapper.java&#58;85&#41;

E&#58;\Program Files\TMapper2>[/code:1:1bb8e024ba]

Posted on March 28, 2007 at 1:08 am

ok, I did some digging. It seems that the Java3d installation is messed up, or the paths to the dlls are not being set or interpreted correctly by the JRE.

The only thing you can do is to copy the contents of C:\Program Files\Java\Java3D\1.5.0\bin into C:\windows .

There should be 3 files:

j3dcore-d3d.dll
j3dcore-ogl.dll
j3dcore-ogl-cg.dll

When you install the Java3d libraries from the distribution, the installer is suppose to copy these files into the JRE's bin folders, but apparently it dosn't do this for Java 6.

Level 13 Human pita
Posted on March 28, 2007 at 1:17 am

that did it :wink:

Posted on March 28, 2007 at 1:24 am

Excellent. :D

Now to update my installation page. Thanks for bearing with me. :)

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 28, 2007 at 2:13 am

Such a cool program!
Thanks Sailor & Killer!

I made my first maps today... can't wait to learn how to make them better but I was very pleased just playing around with it!!!

Most recommended!!

Level 13 Human
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 28, 2007 at 10:53 am

Just popping by to say hello and nice work, Killer! A complete rewrite might have been easier, though.
I meant to get back to you re your changes, but work's keeping me *** busy.
Now that we have a new maintainer for TMapper, maybe I can put tmvr.de to rest for good really soon.

Level 13 Human Retired
Alignment: Lawful good
Posted on March 28, 2007 at 3:01 pm

My hat is off to Dreamer for the original creation of TMapper, LDA for their assistance to Dreamer, and to Killer for the excellent work he did in bringing TMapper up to date and in the improvements that he brought to TMapper - I hope all enjoy and I will be working on a couple of new maps just to enjoy working with it again - it has been a while!! Someone come take my job at work so I can go build maps - need some free time for doing fun things :roll: ! :)

Pages 1 2