Skip navigation

One Important Question.

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > One Important Question.
Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 21, 2007 at 7:46 am

Catapults?

lol sorry thats not it , how big are the army's your leading in H:POM? and will we soon get a date when we can start playing it?

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 18, 2007 at 10:55 pm

Yes, there will be catapults, but they might not be the catapults you're familiar with!

Our biggest brigade is probably going to be about 60 on-screen units, which represents 3000 units, however, you'll also be able to attach brigades together to create a larger army.

As far as release date, well, we've stuck our feet in our mouths quite a few times on that, but it will finally be released this year!

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on April 19, 2007 at 10:58 am

Hmmm, how about catapults like trebuce' and balistas?

ohh and also, will there be a map editor?

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 19, 2007 at 12:16 pm

Yes, there will be catapults, but they might not be the catapults you're familiar with!

Our biggest brigade is probably going to be about 60 on-screen units, which represents 3000 units, however, you'll also be able to attach brigades together to create a larger army.

As far as release date, well, we've stuck our feet in our mouths quite a few times on that, but it will finally be released this year!

*borrows whatever that catapult is and attacks with with it*

Rick , you still didn't answer my question , i said WHEN we can start playing it , even if its a beta or demo.

@2ndself , i can't see why not , most strategy games have them these days.

Posted on April 20, 2007 at 5:45 pm

As far as siege weapons go, the actual concern is how historically accurate the weapons are.

We did have a working scenario editor for the game running at one point in time, but a lot of the game's internals have changed since then, so it will need some updating for it to work again, but it will probably make it into the final game. This isn't a map editor, though; it's just for placing units on a map so you can play through your own scenario.

We've talked about releasing a map editor, but if we ever release a map editor, it certainly won't be out when the game is initially released; our internal map editor is way too buggy to be released to the public >:)

As far as when you can play the game, well, we will be doing a beta test some time before the game is released (if you were part of the compatibility test, you'll automatically be included), but I can't be too specific, other than saying sometime this year.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on April 30, 2007 at 9:02 am

great to hear, Rick!

Keep up the awesome work, and buggy map editors FTW! *parades*

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Posted on April 30, 2007 at 10:58 am

Every map editor I have ver seen apart from the original Age of Empires' has been buggy. Even the awesome warcraft 3 map editor which is the reason so many still play that game.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on April 30, 2007 at 10:35 pm

Give us a buggy map editor! We'll enjoy it! :D

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on May 2, 2007 at 4:09 pm

I also have a question....will this be an online game as with the other lda games?

Posted on May 2, 2007 at 4:14 pm

Nope. Single-player only. Because the the plot is basically 'Philip conquers ancient Greece', it doesn't make much sense to be multi-player. Who wants to play the losing end?

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on May 2, 2007 at 6:54 pm

Well, you could have multi-player battles in which players would go head to head in a purely strategic sense. That way its the player's strategy in turning a loosing scenario into a winning one. If you limit it to single battles, it would work. (of course, allowing campaigns between players played across several games would be something new) It would be similar to other strategy games, but without builds, and a fixed starting point in terms of troops and positions. Different scenarios can have either team start at an advantage/disadvantage or an even stage. Extending this further, one can have scenarios based on defensive/siege elements.

Just a thought or two ;)

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on May 3, 2007 at 12:30 pm

Nope. Single-player only. Because the the plot is basically 'Philip conquers ancient Greece', it doesn't make much sense to be multi-player. Who wants to play the losing end?

well i like a challenge so can i try playing the losing end?

Rick could you do multiplayer co op by having players team up with small bands of troops and working together to capture citys and that?

Posted on May 4, 2007 at 5:17 pm

We have discussed multi-player, but we don't want to do a half-hearted job. To do it right would take a lot of time, and it would probably be a very different game, so if we add multi-player to Hegemony, it will probably either be an expansion or a separate game.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on July 26, 2007 at 10:59 pm

Personally, I would rather see multiplayer released in a later game using the same base engine as this. The only multiplayer I can see working on this engine, without including a map editor or at least a large selections of non-realistic maps to go with real ones, is a cooperative campaign in which one player starts with the part of the starting province the single-player would get, and the other gets the other side in the same way. Thus, players would be working as generals under Philip, even though that isn't exactly historically accurate, thus ruining the effect of the game to begin with.

Yeah, I rock at sentences with too much punctuation. Sue me.

Level 21 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on July 27, 2007 at 11:50 am

Yes, we'd likely design a new game around multiplayer using the basic engine as the start-point.

The Peloponnesion War would be a natural conflict for multiplayer, but we won't be making any decisions until we've finished work on Hegemony.

Jim