Skip navigation

SPAWN FRAGGING & NEW PLAYERS

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > SPAWN FRAGGING & NEW PLAYERS
Pages 1 2
Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on March 19, 2007 at 7:18 pm

Something like that is just not possible without modifying the codebase. The ent files allow for ease of moding, but are limited in how much you can do.

Level 12 Human Tinker
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 19, 2007 at 7:22 pm

.or maybe old players with different names and are very bored...lol.

<wide-eyed look>

But that *never* happens...

8)

Give them 5 seconds after they spawn
After that kill them.
Thats the default for most FPS games.

Works for me. Nice simple rule. That is what I have been telling new folk when they arrive, spawn frag, and then ask about the problem when a dozen folk screech. :) It seems to work well to just ask them if they are new when they do it. If they do not respond... well, then everyone acquires a new favourite target. heh...

Is it possible to make a mod allowing newly spawned people to be invincible for say 10 seconds? thats more than enough time to grab a weapon.

Five should be plenty. That provides enough time to splat the ground and get rolling.

I agree with Killier, if you land in a pitched battle, you lose, so sorry, I'll apologize afterwards.

Agreed here too. It is too darn difficult to worry about new spawns when there is a firefight going on at the spawn points. Sometimes I manage to back off a bit, sometimes not. <shrug>

When I go below 40% strength in DM, I run from the battle(s) and find some repairs. Sometimes this isn't very good.

It wastes a lot of time, though. Not cheesy, but not that great of an idea either..

My (unsolicited) advice: when your tank begins flaming, find something nicely powerful in sustained bursts or a few shots (flamer, nuke, matter bomb, ramdrill, you get the idea) and just find the nearest target, going in with turret blazing and leaving the target no opportunity to think about a countermeasure, if possible.

That way, at least, you get to take someone, or a few folk if lucky, with you as you get fragged rather than spending multiple minutes poking around for repair wrench thingies. I almost always do this once I reach 20% tank health or lower. It makes my score a bit worse than it could be, but I also get the satisfaction of kamakazi on the best players in the game. ;)

- If someone is talking, don't attack.
- If someone starts talking during a fight, ignore the don't attack item - that's just rude to interrupt a fight with chatter.
- If someone is inactive/away, don't go out of your way to kill them since they are an easy target.
- If you get the shadow, take out 1-3 targets, then waste the rest. Most weapons can kill 1-3 targets in the time it takes to waste a shadow; no point in penalizing yourself for getting a shadow, but don't abuse it either.
- Don't superammo a shadow unless it's human vs AIs.

Anything else?

I am with you on every single point except the matter of the shadow. I, too, can usually manage to get 1-3 kills out of every weapon charge under ideal conditions. Thing is, everyone misses shots, but the shadow *does not miss*. That is what makes the difference. It amounts to practically guaranteed frags. Bleah. No fun.

Unfortunately though, this does not prevent counter-spawn fragging.

Aye, but it *would* dissuade folk from camping next to spawn points, which in itself significantly reduces the entire problem under discussion. :lol:

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on April 5, 2007 at 10:42 pm

Let's just call it spawn raping because it sounds like what it is.

I know it's an ugly word indicating cowardice, deep social and moral disfunction.

Hmm, just like spawn fragging...

Level 14 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on April 9, 2007 at 6:20 pm

Other games call this base raping ;) (so you are not too far off) but you are allowed to do that since spawn points are hard to guess (4 spawn points per base point)...

But if you are an experienced player, a newbie will not be able to spawn frag you or will have a really hard time, eventually, he will learn is not worth it :)

If he succeds, you can always do the same...

When someone spawn frags me I put up a fight, if he suceeds I remember his name, if he doesn't he remembers mine :twisted:

Pages 1 2