Skip navigation

SPAWN FRAGGING & NEW PLAYERS

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > SPAWN FRAGGING & NEW PLAYERS
Pages 1 2
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on March 14, 2007 at 11:35 pm

there's a wave of new players that like any other game shoot when they spawn. Old players seem to have a hatred for people who do that
= new players get the heat and don't come back...

I'm starting to dislike those who do not spawn frag me because I have to get away from that position and makes me waste my time or another player comes and takes me out.... I rather land on an AI than next to a person who do not spawn frag :twisted:

Level 15 Human gamer
Posted on March 15, 2007 at 1:19 am

Well, you know when I 1st started to play online I use to spawn frag all the time, because when I played single player the Ai's would spawn frag you all the time. It was not until I came online and started to meet others is when I realize that spawn fragging was not appropiate toward other human players.

So, all you newbies...let others arm them self and have a fair fight.

There is really no pleasure in the fragging an unarmed tank.

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on March 15, 2007 at 2:24 am

Unless you are weak.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on March 15, 2007 at 6:23 am

I dislike spawn fragging. The proper etiquette is, when you spawn, to grab a weapon and run away from that tank for at least several seconds. Once you are outside of fire range, you can turn around and engage - it gives the person you spawned next to time.

Personally, I have a greater hatred of those that counter-spawn-frag than those that spawn frag. But my greatest hatred is those that don't give you a chance (land on a player that immediately ramdrills you). A warning shot is all that is technically needed to alert someone that you are going to fight. Once you give that, and give the newly spawned player a chance to get a weapon and in position, let the war roll on!

Weapons that are valid spawn frags: plasma mines, nukes, cruise missiles, and air strikes. You can't control who gets hit with them very well.

Weapons that are just plain uncouth to spawn frag with: MRL, ramdrill, laser, avenger

Weapons that the spawning tank has somewhat of a chance with: 120, plasma cannon, machine gun, concussion

Note, to me, I only consider spawn frags as such if the fragging tank is at the spawn point. If they are half way across the map snipping, that's not quite the same thing :)

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on March 15, 2007 at 12:04 pm

In most online games the term spawn fragging refers to you killing someone else that has just spawned, not the other way around (I did not know that was even possible :/) But to be honest, TM is slightly slower pace than the FPS games these rules originated in, so it never seems like a problem to me in TM.

Also I'd have thought camping would be a bigger problem, as in FPS games, but camping on spawn points in TM is alright IMHO since thats where the weapons are :mrgreen:

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 15, 2007 at 2:20 pm

If I remember correctly, spawn-fragging was deemed a complete and utter NO-NO on the public servers, but totally allowable during any ranked competition ( this was always as a bit confusing to me) I also know of individuals who NEVER spawn frag and who will bow away from a spawn point until their opponent has accessed a weapon. The opposite is also true of some players. I, personally, have always been on the 'do unto others camp, which includes team members of the spawn-fraggers as well.
We could always re-post a new set of expectations --God forbid we call them rules !!
This subject has always proven to be difficult to monitor, as well as govern.
My 2c--CDN :wink:

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 15, 2007 at 2:21 pm

= new players get the heat and don't come back...

I'm starting to dislike those who do not spawn frag me because I have to get away from that position and makes me waste my time or another player comes and takes me out.... I rather land on an AI than next to a person who do not spawn frag :twisted:

This is a rather confusing point of view--either you want them or you don't!!

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 15, 2007 at 8:44 pm

This is a rather confusing point of view--either you want them or you don't!!

It's not supposed to be confusing... actually:
I did take that vow of courtesy to not spawn frag, drive far away so he/she will know that I am honest about my intentions...
But all this ritual is not doing it for me anymore... most of the time I stay in the spawn point and wait for people to leave, I let them pick weapons and all that... but ocassionally, while I wait for people, other tanks come and take me out...

So, I'm up for consistency in almost any level of existence... so if I land, I want to know that I CAN shoot or that if someone lands he WILL shoot me... that way I know what's going to happen... this dancing around (since some people spawn frag and others don't) it's getting on my nerves...

LOL, but the real point of this thread was about NEW PLAYERS; they try the game, like it, play for a little bit, spawn SHOOT someone and get repremended... then they tend to leave mad and don't come back.

I think people need to get over being hurt when they spawn or when someone spawns around them...
I've taken this to heart and don't even shoot those who complain about it ALL the time... or sometime during the game...

The game is about shooting!! I just hate to see people leave because they're not ethically oriented :roll:
Of course you don't have to do spawn frag, I normally don't, but at least have patience for new players...

BTW: LDA server has been busy! that's cool! I have pics of great battles...

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on March 15, 2007 at 10:13 pm

(when I use to play more) I got tired of backing away from a new spawn only to be fragged by them. I also got tired of people complaining about being spawn killed when they drop in the middle of a firefight.

I will defend myself.. if you happen to pop up infront of me while I'm in kill mode, going for a weapon, or I'm chasing after another, thats your bad luck.

I however donot camp by a spawn point and lay-in-wait for players to pop in (i.e. ice fishing). To me that is the only dishonest playing style.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 16, 2007 at 7:53 am

Give them 5 seconds after they spawn
After that kill them.
Thats the default for most FPS games.

Posted on March 16, 2007 at 11:57 am

Yeah, it's always a bit awkaward in FPS games, but it's simpler than here. In an FPS game if you see someone spawn, they dont shoot you (sometimes the game prevents them from doing so) and you have to back away whilst facing them to make sure you can defend if they attack you.

I would however say 1. If you drop in the middle of a fight, fight back straight away. 2. Dont wait to shoot people as soon as they land. 3. Be nice to nebies, just suggest that it is not good sportsmanship to SK or counter SK. 4. Dont complain if someone happens to get ya one time, they may not have been aware / ready/ alert / whatever I can't think of the word.

I may pop in at some point to check out the activity if I ever get a late night or some daytime action...or if I ever ger TM to work properly on this comp. Apologies for the fact that I dont play much anymore T_T

Level 12 Human Cyb0rg tank pil0t:|@- ҉҈҉҈҉-§¹Ç--҉҈҉-
Posted on March 17, 2007 at 1:25 am

Unlike Others I Don't Care If They Wait 5 Seconds To Spawn Lousy Weapons

Because I'll Just Get A Better Weapon And Destroy That Idiot

Plus I'm Not New I Played The Tread Marks Demo For 5 Years

Till I Got The Full Version.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 17, 2007 at 6:34 am

Yeah, it's always a bit awkaward in FPS games, but it's simpler than here. In an FPS game if you see someone spawn, they dont shoot you (sometimes the game prevents them from doing so) and you have to back away whilst facing them to make sure you can defend if they attack you.

I would however say 1. If you drop in the middle of a fight, fight back straight away. 2. Dont wait to shoot people as soon as they land. 3. Be nice to nebies, just suggest that it is not good sportsmanship to SK or counter SK. 4. Dont complain if someone happens to get ya one time, they may not have been aware / ready/ alert / whatever I can't think of the word.

I may pop in at some point to check out the activity if I ever get a late night or some daytime action...or if I ever ger TM to work properly on this comp. Apologies for the fact that I dont play much anymore T_T

Is it possible to make a mod allowing newly spawned people to be invincible for say 10 seconds? thats more than enough time to grab a weapon.

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on March 17, 2007 at 9:18 pm

I agree with Killier, if you land in a pitched battle, you lose, so sorry, I'll apologize afterwards.

I always try and withdraw to allow someone time to get oriented and pick up a weapon, problem is unless it is someone with some integrity, I pay for it.

It might be possible to make that mod if LDA ever decides to release another version. It hasn't been in development at LDA sine Seamus passed in 2000.

Level 13 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 18, 2007 at 6:31 am

I agree with Killier, if you land in a pitched battle, you lose, so sorry, I'll apologize afterwards.

I always try and withdraw to allow someone time to get oriented and pick up a weapon, problem is unless it is someone with some integrity, I pay for it.

It might be possible to make that mod if LDA ever decides to release another version. It hasn't been in development at LDA since Seumas passed in 2000.

I've quoted your post to correct some errors. It is Seumas, not Seamus. Also, it is since, not sine. These errors can cause problems.

Although I've been doing TM for a while, I've never gotten very good at it. My only unexceptionable area was DM. In DM, I keep getting fragged almost continually. However, what I'm trying to do may be just cheesy. When I go below 40% strength in DM, I run from the battle(s) and find some repairs. Sometimes this isn't very good. This does not apply in CTF or Racing.

Level 13 Human Shadow
Posted on March 18, 2007 at 11:19 am

Yeah, if someone spawns in the middle of a battle, they will be attacked. Same thing if I spawn in the middle of a battle, I will attack back. It's too chaotic to try and avoid spawn fragging / counter spawn fragging.

A couple other bits of etiquette:
- If someone is talking, don't attack.
- If someone starts talking during a fight, ignore the don't attack item - that's just rude to interrupt a fight with chatter.
- If someone is inactive/away, don't go out of your way to kill them since they are an easy target.
- If you get the shadow, take out 1-3 targets, then waste the rest. Most weapons can kill 1-3 targets in the time it takes to waste a shadow; no point in penalizing yourself for getting a shadow, but don't abuse it either.
- Don't superammo a shadow unless it's human vs AIs.

Anything else?

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 18, 2007 at 9:03 pm

ok pab to make you happy I will start spawnfragging you :)

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 18, 2007 at 9:55 pm

sure, just don't get mad if I do the same ;)

That mod sounds intereting... perhaps 4 seconds of protection should be enough...

More than spawn fragging me, have patience for those who do it because they may be new players... such as thunder, AJ2good, Raven, fishtank, among others...
... so if you have 20 frags and others have 4 you may deduct they are new players :roll: ...or maybe old players with different names and are very bored...lol.

Posted on March 19, 2007 at 12:59 pm

If that mod were to be made, they would also have to not be able to fire weapons until the time is up.

In AvP2, it works like this. A person spawning apears translucent, they cannot be harmed, and their weapon switches back to the default (melee) weapon without firing if they try to fire it. Until they move they remain invunerable and unable to cause any harm, but as soon as you move there is a very short delay before you a re armed and vunerable aswel ;)

It seems to work, unless some moron comes along and camps there until you move. However, this would probably be very difficult to implement in TM as far as I know.

Level 13 Human wizard
Alignment: Good
Posted on March 19, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Why not just make the recently spawned players invulnerable for, say 2.5 seconds, when it does become possible?

Unfortunately though, this does not prevent counter-spawn fragging.

Pages 1 2