Skip navigation

Hegemony: Mods?

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Hegemony > Hegemony: Mods?
Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 24, 2007 at 12:20 pm

Does anyone know if Hegemony will be as editable as Tread Marks was? It'd be kind of cool to make maps for your troops to fight on as well as weapons for them to use :)

Level 14 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 5:14 am

A map editor would be nice, as are found in many RTS games, but I doubt it will be as moddable as TM. One thing that would be nice however is an army colour sceme editor, as found in Dawn of War

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on July 26, 2007 at 10:51 pm

I actually stood and had a very long conversation about this at the Origin's booth. I was the annoying troll and toad employee that kept sending over more and more people, and wouldn't stop talking about how rock awesome multiplayer would be, and mentioned modding every five seconds.

Wow, I'm annoying.

And how!

I'm also a newbie to the forum... Please don't eat me ^_^

Posted on July 27, 2007 at 3:41 am

I have no idea what you're talking about...

Level 22 Extraplanar gamer
Posted on July 27, 2007 at 11:39 am

Hegemony won't have multiplayer although it will be one of the considerations when we pick a follow-up title.

I don't think we'll be hiding files, so to that extend the mod crowd will have things they can mess with.

We have to finish the game and make it fun to play. Then we can look at modding options.

Jim

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on July 27, 2007 at 12:46 pm

Well, on the programming side, the plan has been not to hide any files, but Rob and I have recently been discussing that we might be able to speed up load times a little if we pack files together. If we end up taking that route, though, I'd have no qualms about putting together a simple unpacking program for the modding community.

When building the ending we've taken some precautions to make sure modding will be possible, but the tools we're using in the office aren't suitable for use by modders, so we would need to write new tools. As Jim said, we need to focus on the game first.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on July 28, 2007 at 9:57 am

Also, I would think packed files would speed up downloads since usually it adds compression to it, right?

How about this option (it's the one StarSiege used): If the file exists unpacked, use it, otherwise look in the pack and use the one there.

That way you only had to pull files you were interested in modding out of a pack.

--RC

Posted on July 30, 2007 at 4:27 am

That's a nice idea RC, because it also means that you wouldnt have to re-pack your mod ever time you wanted to test it.

Posted on July 30, 2007 at 2:19 pm

Yeah, that's what we would do, both for the sake of the modders and to make life easier for us.

Although, packing the files won't help downloads at all, because the installer system we use (NSIS) already has the option to treat all the files as one big file when compressing.

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on September 23, 2007 at 10:53 pm

hmm.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 8, 2007 at 7:41 pm

So...any new 'Monday updates' for us? :D

Posted on December 11, 2007 at 5:28 pm

Sorry, we sort of fell behind once we came back from PAX. We seem to go through periods where we think we need to tell everybody about, and other periods where we keep our noses to the grindstone and just keep working.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on December 16, 2007 at 11:24 am

It's all good, more power to you! Keep grinding... :D