Skip navigation

I'm confused!

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > I'm confused!
Level 11 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 21, 2007 at 10:30 pm

First off let me say I've been playing TM on and off for the past 5 years. Mostly been playing solo due to some sucky connections in the past and too cheap for broadband. *don't ask*

At any rate, I have now gotten my 9 yr old daughter playing TM and she is fond of finding mods and weapons and I'll install them for her. However... somewhere along the lines we have a few weapons that are.... annoying to my little destructor.

For example... recently upon blowing up an AI a spewer pops up. Not sure where that came from, but after the umpteenth death makes game play frustrating. I find it creates an amusing slalom mode to the game yet the 9yo does not share my bemusement.

*Unverbose* Is there an easy way to determine what files create what weapon and where they all sit?

Sorry if this sounds terribly noob. :?

Level 13 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on February 22, 2007 at 12:09 am

Hmmm. I suppose you can take the text that shows up on a kill and do a search in addons/entities/Projectile folder for example:

AI-Foozle destroyed AI-Terminator with a Nuclear blast!

I do a search for a Nuclear blast in addon/entities/Projectile, this wil give you the projectile that belongs to the weapon that fired it. Then comes the hard part. You would need to search of the filename of the projectile (excluding the .ent extension) to an ent file that contains it under addons/entities. If you're lucky you'll find it in an ent file under addons/entities/weapons . That would be the weapon you want to remove (simply setting the weapon ents weight parameter to 0 is enough to disable it). Unfortunately, more often than not, the projectile is in anotehr file in a different directory (i.e. addons/entities/Spewer) at which point you will then need to search for a file that contains the name of the last file found (again, minus the .ent extension). Eventually you will trace the chain of entity files back to the weapon that is at the head of the chain.

Yes, it is a royal pain.

The only other way is to delete the contents of your addons folder and add back the mods one at a time until you find the offender.

Level 13 Human Unaffiliated Game Maker
Alignment: Chaotic
Posted on February 22, 2007 at 11:46 am

Unfortunately there is no easy way to determine what mod is causing the problem if you just download lots of mods and stick them all together. I suggest following Killer's instructions, he's wiser (and probably older :P) than I.

Level 13 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 22, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Also, if you want to hand do it, I can step you through the systematics.

Rename your addons dir, and see if it still happens... if so, then it isn't in the addons directory and so you need to check the main entity directory.

However, if the spewer does stop, then you know it must be in the addons dir. Now, return the addons to working order, and once you're sure they'll work like they once did, move the racetank entities out in whatever fashion you can manage. Do this first to see if it's simply that the racetanks are being modified and referring to a spewer proper. If you do get rid of the problem, then you need to go through and find the offending racetanks and look at their explosion entities. From there, it's a straightforward process of elimination.

However, if removing the racetanks doesn't help, then you have a more sophisticated issue. This prolly calls for going through explosphere and explo and streamer entities and systematically eliminating them until the problem stops. The good news is that if you find the explosion entity that's specifically causing the problem, you'll have no more work to do... simply mod it to do what you want, and continue about your gaming business.

Hope this helps... if you're more of a hardcore kinda guy and like doing this stuff (I admit, I sorta have fun doing mysteries and hide n seek... I'm weird that way, hence my major is Computer Science in college right now).

Level 13 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 22, 2007 at 10:44 pm

If you want to search using Killer's method, use a decent search tool :)

www.wingrep.com

--RC