Skip navigation

Sunday 2/25, Clan War 8 EDT/5 PDT/12 GMT

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Sunday 2/25, Clan War 8 EDT/5 PDT/12 GMT
Pages 1 2 3
Level 12 Human gamer
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 3:21 pm

Any of those sound good to me. (except maybe not the jousting, my patience can only stand so much.) :P

I also think it would be cool even if it was a little simpler. Any one weapon only server would be great practice and a lot of fun. :)
I can just see a wasps only match, or something of the kind.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 3:40 pm

Yes, that would be cool! the only thing is doing it.... :(

Then Pablito puts on his special turret hat and gets us all to sing Simon & Garfunkel's greatest hits in Smurf voices.
Shh!... you're not supposed to share our meditation techniques!! :P

Oh Yea!:

CLAN WAR TODAY!!

Level 14 Human Shadow
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 7:33 pm

Any of those sound good to me. (except maybe not the jousting, my patience can only stand so much.) :P

I also think it would be cool even if it was a little simpler. Any one weapon only server would be great practice and a lot of fun. :)

Plasma Mine only?

:D

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 7:53 pm

I use to run a jousting server, but I limited it to used elongated drills that used hitscan. :twisted:

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 9:14 pm

That was an incredible match :)

Level 14 Human bookkeeper
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 9:19 pm

themes? jousting? sumo wrestling mod by coaxs?

any who, pics are in:
feb 25th 2007 clan war

toodles,
harmless
:)

Level 12 Human gamer
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 9:29 pm

Plasma Mine only?

_______________________^^ The best one! ^^_______________________

Level 14 Human Sr Code Monkey
Alignment: Chaotic
Location: lost in the evil lands, of soccer-mom piloted minivans....
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 9:34 pm

I brought my jousting server up if any one is interested. LOL

Level 12 Human Tinker
Alignment: Good
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 9:52 pm

We need Theme Servers to replace the Fun DDMs I think :)

- Normal Fun DDM

Definitely. At least one with no AIs would make some of us quite pleased.

- Jousting (mass drivers only with very low damage - 120mm is reduced in power to provide minimal damage also)

We also used to have a few other games that went on. What do other people want to see? Perhaps we can get a rotation going? We've had 1-shot servers, nuclear servers, FTnCD servers, Soccer server (requires special map, which I think I have somewhere), etc.

Excellent ideas. I never thought of a jousting server. The 1-shot server operating recently (Astio Blitz) was quite fun; a bit unbalanced with the superweapons that were added in, but still fun.

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 9:55 pm

Plasma Mine only?

Wasps?! :shock: Ick. I would sweat 1000 calories a game just dodging, let alone firing.

BlueBlender has shown me by example some new tricks in that area of things, though, so perhaps it would not be so bad.

A plasma mines only game has my vote, if it is part of a rotation of one-weapon games. If nothing else, watching people try to play that would be even more fun than playing it oneself.

Level 15 Human gamer
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 11:31 pm

First off I want to thank everyone for showing up. I really appreciate the effort folks make to show up.

As for a single server, I use to run one. But you cant do plasma mine. The server lags out immediately. Which may be another thought of limiting the spawning of mines in the clan and ranked DDM battles.

Otherwise, thank you for a fun evening.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on February 25, 2007 at 11:36 pm

I brought my jousting server up if any one is interested. LOL
Fun thing, first timer. Kind of crazy as well :) Maybe you can put a horse instead of a tank :D

Great battles everyone. GA takes it but CAT & CAT.1 will be back :twisted:

Level 15 Human gamer
Posted on February 26, 2007 at 5:55 pm

Way to go GA's. Very nice three-battle victory!

Almost enough to make me turn GA! I often wonder what it would be like to experience life as a GA, especially with the GA dominance we saw in this most recent clan war. If I ever decide to swing for the other team, I will definitely ask about becoming a GA. I think the teamwork, ie. the love that GA's must feel to be able to Git 'R Done like you did was most impressive. GA Power!!!

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on February 26, 2007 at 6:18 pm

Wow!!--kudo's for the kudo's--and backatcha's to all the Cat's!!!

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on February 26, 2007 at 10:58 pm

Yes GA did some fanny kicking, great team work by your team!

Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Posted on February 28, 2007 at 2:29 am

If memory serves, because lag is an issue with clan matches it used to be that mines, cm, wasps and shadow were removed from the game and this helped a lot.

Congrats to GA for delivering the smack down!

Every bar needs a tender, that's me doing double duty as janitor. Pab and Kong fill in as the band when they get tired of the juke box. Yugo keeps the plants from diing but I still won't buy him no grow lights. Viper keeps us chuckling with stories of the war (all of them) but, turns out he can cook to which helps the stories go down. Carnage is always looking out the window to make sure the kids haven't drowned each other in the creek or started playing with the dynamite I keep in the shed. I can't tell you how much beer I've thrown sawdust on from him dropping everything to go stop some mischief. I hardly miss cottage that used to be behind the bar and my wife is happier now that I come home more often. When our Girl isn't dancing on the tables, she's waiting on them, don't tell her but business has gone up ten fold since she showed up. An Fear Glas is correct, kegs need replacing, he voluteered to tap the kegs for free and we haven't had air in the lines since plus doesn't mind I like to keep two out of three taps running Heffe Weisen in spite of the fact he like something a little stouter(what can ya do, I'm willing to clean the bar?).

CAT
Chillin'at Tito's, come on in, take a load off.

Level 14 Human Shadow
Posted on February 28, 2007 at 7:59 am

I don't seem to recall that CM and Wasps create much lag. I believe they were removed because people said you can kill me from afar! - cowards! Mines do, but that's mostly because they are persistent.

Level 14 Human gamer
Posted on February 28, 2007 at 10:44 am

We should all chip in and get a T-1 line to LDA :twisted:

I have noticed an increase in lag in the LDA server, when 5 or more players connect... and I may be the closest to Ontario, Canada.... poor players that reside on the West Coast....

Clan war had 20 people :D that may be the biggest influence... the best thing is that everyone had fast connections ... not like a dial up user would be able to survive in those conditions anyways...

Too bad lag is so potent... maybe a monthly fee to participate in the battles which will go 50/50. Half to LDA, Half to the clan that wins it for the year :twisted: ... or 80/20... or whatever... if it was a constant rate of 20 players monthly, giving $1 per player: $240/year. $5 per player: $1200/year. $10per player: $2,400 per year :shock:

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on February 28, 2007 at 11:38 am

I don't seem to recall that CM and Wasps create much lag. I believe they were removed because people said you can kill me from afar! - cowards! Mines do, but that's mostly because they are persistent.

I can see getting rid of the Chaotic Cheese weapon. A 100% chance to kill is not any fun at all after the first day of playing the game. People who continue to enjoy it are, in my opinion, the same sort of folk who regularly use cheat codes to win games. Not the sort of thing I can respect at all. In fact, I have begun hitting ALT-K whenever someone chases me with the Chaotic Cheese in order to disallow them to get a frag from a weapon no one can avoid or withstand. Perhaps the point being made will eventually arrive in their mind and they will reconsider using that weapon- I can only hope.

Wasps and nukes can be dodged, though, so getting rid of them strikes me as a bad idea. They are strong weapons, but they require actual skill and planning to *effectively* use them on more than one tank at a time. If nothing else, those two help level the playing field between the folk at the very top and the ones at the bottom in terms of skill, and thereby make it more fun all around while people develop those skills that make them better players. Personally speaking, while I prefer the plasma cannon for sniping, the nukes make for excellent comic relief in the same context when everyone becomes overly fixated on the scoreboard in a game. :lol:

Mines may cause lag, but they are certainly amusing to use when people like, oh, GA BlueBlender, or CAT Carnage, or GA 666 are chasing with a ramdrill or a swarmer. :) Nobody ever seems to expect others to use mines. Because of that one of my own favourite tactics involves mines. And it usually works. ;)

Level 12 Human Tinker
Posted on February 28, 2007 at 12:25 pm

Too bad lag is so potent... maybe a monthly fee to participate in the battles which will go 50/50. Half to LDA, Half to the clan that wins it for the year :twisted: ... or 80/20... or whatever... if it was a constant rate of 20 players monthly, giving $1 per player: $240/year. $5 per player: $1200/year. $10per player: $2,400 per year :shock:

I would be willing and able to pay, but I can see a few possible problems.

1.) Some people are unwilling to pay for online gaming. I predict that there would be a few who would drop out of Clans for that alone, and I for one would rather see the Clans expand than not at this point in time. So, on that point, I would be skeptical about the idea of paying for DDM games.

2.) There are a goodly number of folk playing online TM who are adults and, in theory, are able to set up bank accounts, Paypal accounts, that sort of thing. This would work fine with your idea. The people who would be left out would be A.) under-18 folk with no adults around to work with them in getting payments to LDA, and B.) the few adults who are, for various reasons, unable to get bank accounts. I have known a few, so I know the possibility exists.

2A could be remedied by having the Clan members pool the dues and have then sent in, probably via Paypal, to LDA. Easily done, assuming all Clan leaders are responsible people.

2B would involve some sort of thing like using money orders or other non-credit forms of payment, which would create an added variable in the process. With each level of increasing complexity in paying a merchant for a service or goods, fewer people are willing to do so, or they find a competitor that offers something similar with less complexity / cost in time or money. There are alternatives, like this one: http://www.paybycash.com/
...but I am not familiar enough with them to know whether they are reliable or safe to use.

3.) A third possibility would be on the LDA end of things. They are, after all, a business. Would they see any profit in adding this idea to their operations, i.e. people sending them money for the purpose of having better network access points / better game servers / et cetera for DDM games and.or the usual LDA server we all use?

Finally, on the matter of the cost. For the purpose of comparison, here are a few figures for monthly subscriptions to other popular games. All of them are North American prices.

World of Warcraft - around $15.00 per month
Ultima Online - last time I looked at it in 2003, it was $12.99 per month

Both Blizzard and Electronic Arts have economy of scale on their sides: each of those games has millions of subscribers. We seem to have around 30 - 40 core online TM players, and around 100 - 150 regular online players that play a little less often.

Perhaps a poll would be a good idea to at least get some data to work with, or at least from which we could extrapolate. Say, perhaps, ask what people would be willing to pay for DDM / CDDM games per month, and give different price points, like 1.00, 2.00, 5.00, 10.00, and so on.

Pages 1 2 3