Skip navigation

Dinochrome: Kind of an old problem NAT

Forum NavigationHome > Forum Index > Tread Marks > Dinochrome: Kind of an old problem NAT
Level 15 Human Jack-of-all-trades
Alignment: Chaotic good
Posted on February 10, 2007 at 1:50 am

Hi,

Dinochrome is back, temporarily at least.

Unfortunately, it isn't reporting the correctly port which is 12300 (default). The server has the recommended port range open.

The system is NAT'd and I've seen this problem before. The way I corrected it before was to allow ping in but, I can't do that with this system.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

Level 13 Human bookkeeper
Alignment: True neutral
Posted on February 10, 2007 at 4:30 am

a long time ago, i remember trying different computers as a TM server.
what puzzled me back then was...
one computer that i tried had the NIC built into the motherboard, and it would show up in the list of available servers but with no ping numbers, and odd port numbers.
a computer sitting right next to it had a PCI NIC card, and its ping numbers showed up just fine in the list of servers wtih the correct port numbers.
both computers were on the same subnet sitting behind a NAT router.
who knows, so i just used the computer with an actual pci network card in it, since it pinged the master server just fine. i know it should not make a difference, but the built in NIC on the motherboard could never ping the master server.

Level 13 Human pita
Posted on February 10, 2007 at 11:29 am

I had this happen before as well.

What I tried to do was run 2 server instaces on the same machine and forward the 2 different ports to 2 different NIC's on the same machine. I guess that TM will only use the default NIC. So one of the servers was showing on the master server with an odd port number and no ping.

Posted on February 10, 2007 at 2:58 pm

Yeah, this is kind of what I expected, I picked this system since it had a dedicated public IP and I didn't have to deal with all the anomlies associated with PAT and NAT.
The NIC is embedded but it'st the same NIC manufacturer and era as my local VMWare server which I used to run a server on and it ran fine on the host but didn't even look right on the local LAN running under a VMWare OS instance.
Well, I'leave it up if I can until I find another system to try it on.
If anyone at LDA has input, I would apprciate it.
What I would really like to do is run the server as a service but I never got anywhere with that because I think a desktop is required.
Thank you for the input.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on February 11, 2007 at 4:16 pm

Thanks fer the server...time to go hunting... ;)

Level 14 Extraplanar Programmer
Posted on February 12, 2007 at 3:23 pm

Hmm, that's odd. What port is it reporting? Is it working despite the problem, or are you temporarily running it on a different server? I apologize for the obvious question I'm about to ask, but... you are forwarding UDP packets on those ports, right?

Ping shouldn't matter, as none of our servers have the ping port open.

And yeah, unfortunately the Tread Marks server wasn't designed to run as a service. At one point in time Seamus was considering rewriting the server to run on Linux, but unfortunately that never happened.

Posted on February 13, 2007 at 11:07 pm

Hmm, that's odd. What port is it reporting? Is it working despite the problem, or are you temporarily running it on a different server? I apologize for the obvious question I'm about to ask, but... you are forwarding UDP packets on those ports, right?
- Ports 12300-12499 both TCP and UDP open and forwarded (this is old hack for me, I manage much more complex idiocy for other firewall processes). It reports varying port numbers, last time I looked, 2769.

Ping shouldn't matter, as none of our servers have the ping port open.
- It didn't.

And yeah, unfortunately the Tread Marks server wasn't designed to run as a service. At one point in time Seamus was considering rewriting the server to run on Linux, but unfortunately that never happened.
- All the greater the loss.

Posted on February 14, 2007 at 1:29 pm

Does your machine have more than one network interface in your Network Connections? If your machine has, say, Bluetooth, it may have added a superfluous network interface that may mess with Tread Marks.

This is all guesswork, though, since I haven't seen the problem before. There's a chance Rob's seen it, but he's on vacation until the new week.

Posted on February 15, 2007 at 11:17 pm

Single NIC, single IP; private with a 1 to 1 NAT translation.

Posted on February 16, 2007 at 12:27 am

Does it work when it's not NATed?

Posted on February 16, 2007 at 1:46 am

Not an option with this particular system. It looks normal on the LAN through a VPN connection.
Not to worry, I wanted tp get the server back up. I will move it to other equipment at a later date. I just wish I could leave it where it is, this system has zero load and runs 24/7.

Posted on February 16, 2007 at 4:28 pm

Ah well, sorry I wasn't of any help.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on February 16, 2007 at 11:06 pm

Can you configure NAT to allow the TM master server recognize an static ip on the nic from your server that allows the NAT to ping out as well? Like a private network just among you two?

Posted on February 18, 2007 at 3:05 am

Pab,

First to do what you suggest would mean a site to site VPN between LDA and the site where Dinochrome resides right now.

Second, doing what you suggest would mean that the Master server would report the private IP address of the Dinochrome server which wouldn't do anyone any good except maybe those who still play TM as LDA to play on.

This is an anomoly I have encountered several years ago on a different system; I rectified it by allowing ping from the LDA master server to the NAT'd game server and it worked. It shouldn't have but it did. I tried the same thing on this one and it didn't work.

Level 13 Human gamer
Posted on March 1, 2007 at 12:08 am

Tried to git on the server today and all I got was a 0 ping fer the server. :(

Hope you find a fix fer it... :D

Posted on April 1, 2007 at 4:19 pm

Changed to another piece of hardware with an almost identical physical configuration on doing more and it works/looks correct.
This system is also NAT'd.
Just one of those things.

Posted on April 2, 2007 at 5:01 pm

Weird. I wonder where the problem was.

Posted on April 2, 2007 at 6:15 pm

The previous system had some rather novel routing configurations set up at the firewall to accomodate an odd VPN requirement that took me and and the firewall manufacturer about a week to set up for my client.
I'm guessing it is some of the nonsense we had to do to get their end working that caused it in this instance.
I've had this problem in the past and the only answer was to run it somewhere else.